• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Weird sound when unlocking and opening door.

Very loud thump sometimes in the rear panel where the drivers door would latch onto. Unlock the door, open it up, and a loud thump from that rear panel near the fixed door latch. Strange, but whatever. Anyone else notice this?

I believe it's the subwoofer powering on, or possibly the midbass drivers. I get it too, very odd.

These events might be correlated with the stereo sounding different, I haven't been able to put 2+2 together yet.

yes- noticed the same thing and pretty sure its a signal surge to the subwoofer when the dash triggers. It's not ideal and may cause damage to the sub down the line. Is there some kind of fault reporting log that lotus maintains as it should be an easy-ish software fix

I get that thumping sound and it just keeps going every second or so, it's quite subtle, though.

I've had It as well, glad I'm not the only one. So far it's happened twice when I've opened the door and the infotainment system powers on. It almost sounds like an electrical short or power surge through the speakers, like when you pull a live external speaker wire out of a headphone jack. It also occasionally pops while driving, but at a less noticeable volume that I've only heard while idling at a traffic light.

I've had It as well, glad I'm not the only one. So far it's happened twice when I've opened the door and the infotainment system powers on. It almost sounds like an electrical short or power surge through the speakers, like when you pull a live external speaker wire out of a headphone jack. It also occasionally pops while driving, but at a less noticeable volume that I've only heard while idling at a traffic light.
This is exactly the behavior that I'm experiencing.

I had this at the beginning but relatively infrequent. After a trip to the lotus garage a few months ago for a replacement resistor pack and software update , it has not happened since. I doubt this has any connection with HVAC resistor pack replacement and more likely a consequence of the software update.

I posted this in a similar thread after reading this one and thought I'd shed some light on the OEM subwoofer we all have installed. I'll try my best to be PC:-

Take a look at the pictures attached. This is my sub I've removed due to all the same reasons you are all describing - sorry, but I found the KEF audio poor & not up to standard....it certainly did not match the looks of the car, so I upgraded everything and now it's awesome!

If you hear a "thud" when you open the door in the mornings - it's this sub doing that. I've not heard this sound after its removal.

The two OEM amplifiers in the car always remain Live, the car doesn't go to sleep like other manufactures, in fact the majority of the equipment within the car remains live.....This was discovered when looking for a switched ignition feed during the audio upgrade.

Here's some other info about the sub I've mentioned in other threads you may find useful :-

The sub measurements basically make it a 6X9 speaker which only produces bass. It weighs in at just 1.45kg or 3.2lbs....
For comparison, one of the 6.5" speakers I have now installed to my doors weighs the same.
I've personally not come across Its "free-to-air" design before, nor would I recommend one - this is why the sound / bass changes when you have a window open or closed.

Lastly, after removing the sub I found it had water inside due to the free-to-air design. Pic 5 shows the drain hole which faces down when the sub is installed in the car - have you ever known a sub / speaker to require a drain hole??

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg