Video discussing 4 performance modes + driving dynamics

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Interesting to see very little body lean on the car so must have sports suspension. It's certainly a video that creates an appetite to buy the car.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great to see and hear more on track footage and hear Gavan talking about the car. No new info, but good to have another video to prompt interest.

More details on the driving modes here:

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
This exhaust note really sounds good. I am struggling to think of something close to this. It's like a booming sonic note.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Evora GT410 (GT in the US). Emira will have a PPF, which Evora didn’t have, so will be slightly muted by that.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Try the first 10s of this, and 9:05 and 15:45 onwards:

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Evora GT410 (GT in the US). Emira will have a PPF, which Evora didn’t have, so will be slightly muted by that.
@TomE, are you positive that the Emira will have a PPF since I was informed to the contrary by Lotus. In fact, I did assume that the Emira will have PPF, and wanted to know whether the V6 production cars will have their exhausts tuned to have a similar note to the Evora 400/410. Shown below is an excerpt from the response received.

"There is NO Petrol Particulate Filter on the V6 engine, it has three Catalytic Convertors, and different valving to Evora (which was on or off) – the EPV on this system is variable, specific to throttle input and driving mode on the DPM switch.

The car is quiet when you want it quiet, and will sound assertive when driven enthusiastically or when configured – in mode, to do so.

It’s a totally different system to Evora, designed to appease ALL clients, and importantly legislators with an eye on fuel emissions and noise emissions accordingly!
"

Given that the Emira will use the DPM system from the outgoing Exige (S3), it does make sense.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ah, that's new news to me and a good result, they were talking about PPF at Goodwood. I knew about the DPM system enabling them to meet noise regulations with Tour driving mode (which it has to start in by default) but then Sport/Track/Off are unrestricted. My post on driving modes and DPM covers more specifics on how the exhaust valve is designed to operate.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ah, that's new news to me and a good result, they were talking about PPF at Goodwood. I knew about the DPM system enabling them to meet noise regulations with Tour driving mode (which it has to start in by default) but then Sport/Track/Off are unrestricted. My post on driving modes and DPM covers more specifics on how the exhaust valve is designed to operate.
Indeed, best of both worlds, and yes I have read your post on Driving Modes and DPM, which is very informative. (y)

PPFs do really kill the exhaust note, so the fact that Emira will meet emissions regulations without one (in Touring mode), and we will be able to experience its full aural delight in the other modes is indeed a bonus.

Last edited:

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was told by one of the Lotus representatives at the roadshow in Glasgow that the Emira will have a petrol particulate filter, but that the exhaust is still tuned to provide a very good sound. If the car doesn't have the PPF then I will be very happy as that is what has absolutely killed the GR Supra sound in the EU market compared to the US car.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I was told by one of the Lotus representatives at the roadshow in Glasgow that the Emira will have a petrol particulate filter, but that the exhaust is still tuned to provide a very good sound. If the car doesn't have the PPF then I will be very happy as that is what has absolutely killed the GR Supra sound in the EU market compared to the US car.
A bit disconcerting to note more contradicting information provided to (potential) future buys...

Certainly hope Lotus get their communications tied up sooner rather than later, and provide a consistent message/information to all concerned.

Last edited:

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
A bit disconcerting to not more contradicting information provided to (potential) future buys...

Certainly hope Lotus get their communications tied up sooner rather than later, and provide a consistent message/information to all concerned.
And here we go again... chaos
I'd be amazed if it didn't have a particulate filter, but would be a very pleasant surprise

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think that's unlikely. It's a "world car", so they'll be trying hard not to have regional variations. It makes it much simpler/cheaper to gain approvals if you use the same specification car to meet regulations in each region, as you can use one test to submit for all regions.

It's the reason why the Emira has to start up in Tour driving mode as the default and can't be user-programmed to start in Sport. It meets various noise and emissions regs in Tour. Similarly, the Series 1 Evora had a 3rd cat to meet US emissions - it wasn't required for UK cars but was fitted as standard anyway. Many UK owners removed it, got a louder exhaust for a £400 mod and could still pass UK emissions.