Verdant Green - Close to the Lotus Carlton Imperial Green?

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I love the Dark Verdant on the configurator but the samples I have seen make it a bit too dark for what I want, spec chosen (tbc) is Nimbus Grey at the moment, but I came across an EVO article and felt the Lotus Carlton Imperial Green seems to emulate the Dark Verdant in daylight/artificial/dull conditions where it pops green in the right light but almost black in others. I want to want/like the Verdant...

https://www.evo.co.uk/reviews/21666/vauxhall-vxr8-gts-r-vs-vauxhall-carlton-pictures

aEdMIRA

Reaction score
In my opinion, Lotus should be green or yellow - but even though I love the configurator green, the real green is just too dark for me. It hides the lines, the black roof gives little impact. I think it is an amazing colour, subtle, premium etc. but unless it is a few shades lighter, it's not for me. I think others have mentioned this before and my dealer did too, the Carlton green is what it looks like.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think it's very similar to the old Carlton Imperial Green, which was renamed Empire Green and also used on the Evora. In some lighting it is almost black and in others it’s clearly metallic green. My photos in the samples thread (link below) show how much it changes depending on lighting and viewing angle.

There are pictures in these threads that may help:

OP
S

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think it's very similar to the old Carlton Imperial Green, which was renamed Empire Green and also used on the Evora. In some lighting it is almost black and in others it’s clearly metallic green. My photos in the samples thread (link below) show how much it changes depending on lighting and viewing angle.

There are pictures in these threads that may help:

Cheers Tom, agree, very close on that Evora also. Those colour samples against the cars are useful. The Green on the Elise as a comparison is probably the Green I'd like to have. :)

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Cheers Tom, agree, very close on that Evora also. Those colour samples against the cars are useful. The Green on the Elise as a comparison is probably the Green I'd like to have. :)
I’d love to see the Racing Green lined up in there too. Seeing them all side-by-side in the same light/angles.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I agree, if they'd offered Racing Green/Motorsport Green I think a lot of people would have chosen it.

SteveB

Reaction score
I love the Dark Verdant on the configurator but the samples I have seen make it a bit too dark for what I want, spec chosen (tbc) is Nimbus Grey at the moment, but I came across an EVO article and felt the Lotus Carlton Imperial Green seems to emulate the Dark Verdant in daylight/artificial/dull conditions where it pops green in the right light but almost black in others. I want to want/like the Verdant...

https://www.evo.co.uk/reviews/21666/vauxhall-vxr8-gts-r-vs-vauxhall-carlton-pictures

Came across an image of an AMG GT Black in Emerald Green that looks a close match to the Dark Verdant sample I saw at an Emira viewing at Hethel a couple of weeks ago (Dark Verdant has a slight yellow tinge whereas the Merc AMG emerald green appears to have more of a blue tinge). Its dark - almost black in the shade - but a really interesting colour. Gives an indication of what a Verdant Green Emira will look like in the flesh.

Attachments

• Dark Verdant.jpg
    Dark Verdant.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 521
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 264

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I believe Dark Verdant Green is exactly the same paint as Empire Green (previously called Imperial Green).

In fact, on the back of the Verdant colour sample shown above, there is actually a sticker that says in parenthesis "Empire Green"
BYL9u3Y.jpg
GT430-4-of-30.jpeg

Last edited:

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I believe Dark Verdant Green is exactly the same paint as Empire Green (previously called Imperial Green).

In fact, on the back of the Verdant Green colour sample shown above, there is actually a sticker that says in parenthesis "Empire Green"
That would be cool for sure!

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I like the dark green. I hope it looks black in certain light. And if it's a little lighter, that's good too. It may be a color that you have to get close to in order to appreciate it. Whereas you can like yellow if it's a mile away from you.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I like the dark green. I hope it looks black in certain light. And if it's a little lighter, that's good too. It may be a color that you have to get close to in order to appreciate it. Whereas you can like yellow if it's a mile away from you.
I'm on board with all of that!

Smegatron

Reaction score
This is so gosh darn beautiful!
Bit of a sad story for the end of my ownership...

Local kids tried to steal it, broke some windows to get in, then whilst I argued with the insurance company to stop them scrapping the car over some minor damage it sat in a scrap yard for 6 months. When I finally did get it back the floor had rotted out having been sat there in the wet. Insurance company denied the problem was caused by them. I was working away at the time so couldn't easily get it fixed so sold it as a non runner for peanuts.

Its been fixed now and its looking back to its best. I'd still have it if not for that incident.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Here is my old Carlton getting detailed for a colour reference

2009! OMG I feel old.
That looks bloody awesome! Firstly, it does look black in certain lights as some people say - I'm okay if that's the case with Verdant long as it the green comes out in highlights in the sun (so twice a year in Scotland then!)

I remember when these came out one of the Vauxhall salesmen in Edinburgh told me he spun it on the Western Approach Road in the wet - somehow not hitting anything! Sounds like one of the times speccing brown upholstery would have been a blessing....

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

In fact, on the back of the Verdant colour sample shown above, there is actually a sticker that says in parenthesis "Empire Green"View attachment 1271View attachment 1272
Good Spot!

OMG ,i was going crazy trying to find Wally, until I re-read the message and found out you where talking about the "BACK" of the sample 😂
Which of course WE cannot see!
Very Good one Nick, kept me looking at it for 10 minutes, and now laughing at myself for another 10 minutes, how an idiot I can be!

BRILLIANT!!!! 😅😂🤣🤪😍👍👍👍

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Bit of a sad story for the end of my ownership...

Local kids tried to steal it, broke some windows to get in, then whilst I argued with the insurance company to stop them scrapping the car over some minor damage it sat in a scrap yard for 6 months. When I finally did get it back the floor had rotted out having been sat there in the wet. Insurance company denied the problem was caused by them. I was working away at the time so couldn't easily get it fixed so sold it as a non runner for peanuts.

Its been fixed now and its looking back to its best. I'd still have it if not for that incident.
They did have a reputation for being targeted by thieves. I see the infamous "40RA" is back, albeit it's the original owner putting the plate on a different Lotus Carlton. Will we ever know where that car finished up?

My boss had a Carlton GSI 3000, which we thought was pretty quick, until we got resoundingly trounced in a traffic light grand prix with a Lotus Carlton.

GarrethN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
They did have a reputation for being targeted by thieves. I see the infamous "40RA" is back, albeit it's the original owner putting the plate on a different Lotus Carlton. Will we ever know where that car finished up?

My boss had a Carlton GSI 3000, which we thought was pretty quick, until we got resoundingly trounced in a traffic light grand prix with a Lotus Carlton.
Only ever seen one on the road but they certainly did have presence. Incredible transformation of the humble Carlton. They also had a reputation for people not being able to insure them at all.

Its amazing to think how fast cars are now in comparison, and almost considered to be normal. That’s progress and technology I suppose but these cars invoked a passion and drama that only seems to be seen these days in….. other Lotuses !!!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order