V6 Rant

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I hear you, I imagine 99% of the new car market wont however
Maybe not at the beginning... but as the years tick by and more and more electric comes to market, people form a certain generation will look at the last manual Lotus in a different light. It's a different experience and in a world of electric, different experiences will be harder and harder to come by... The Exige/Elise final editions are already in that pantheon to me. But the Emira will also be there eventually. At least I hope so.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't even think the final edition V6 will be the grail and it's simply missed its day.
That's why I don't understand not making the V6 more competitive now and then releasing a 500bhp i4 grail car later.
That would make more sense to me based on where the market is now in 2022, but hey what do I know
I think the first edition and base edition may wind up being the final edition too. It doesn't matter that Lotus can produce 10,000 cars a year if they can't get that many engines from Toyota. Based on what I'm reading, this global supply issue isn't going to ease up anytime soon. Estimates are it could go on another 2 years before getting back to normal, or close to it.

The order book Lotus has now is largely based on the FE. What's going to happen to that order book when next month (supposedly) the base configurator comes online? If Lotus is barely going to be able (if they actually can) get enough V6 engines to fill the existing order book, are they going to spend the money to develop a final edition they will only be able to sell for 1 year, or maybe not even be sure they can get engines for?

I don't think they can make the V6 be more than it is at the moment due to having to meet regulations. It may already just be what it's going to be; at least as something they can sell. It's going to be up to the aftermarket to make performance improvements.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Here's the post by TomE

This sounds as good as any V6 I've heard, even the Alfa Quadrifoglio.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Maybe not at the beginning... but as the years tick by and more and more electric comes to market, people form a certain generation will look at the last manual Lotus in a different light. It's a different experience and in a world of electric, different experiences will be harder and harder to come by... The Exige/Elise final editions are already in that pantheon to me. But the Emira will also be there eventually. At least I hope so.
You say that but we will all be dead and the newer generations won't even have driving licences allowing them to drive manual!