• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

V6 Manual - are these sounds normal?

Seneca Emira

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my Seneca Blue Emira and wanted to check with folks to see if these sounds are normal:

1. Slight mechanical rattle/thrashing sound when applying low throttle at low RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear. It doesn't always happen and I seem to be able to control when it does/doesn't happen based on how quickly I get on the gas and release the clutch.
2. Fluttering sound coming from near the gearbox/shifter when applying low-moderate throttle in 5th and 6th gear at low RPMs.

Thanks!

Atlantis Blue Emira

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my Seneca Blue Emira and wanted to check with folks to see if these sounds are normal:

1. Slight mechanical rattle/thrashing sound when applying low throttle at low RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear. It doesn't always happen and I seem to be able to control when it does/doesn't happen based on how quickly I get on the gas and release the clutch.
2. Fluttering sound coming from near the gearbox/shifter when applying low-moderate throttle in 5th and 6th gear at low RPMs.

Thanks!
Congrats on getting yours delivered.

If you can, best to Upload a video as that would be helpful for us to hear and understand and comment.

Might be hard while driving, but maybe a passenger can film?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect #1 is the well known "hashing / grinding" sound at low rpm (up to about 2000rpm) when throttle is applied. It tends to quieten down after a bit of running in but never disappears. Some cars have it more than others. Its not a mechanical fault, rather a characteristic of the engine to transmission mounting design.

Not sure what #2 is, a sound recording would be quite helpful.

erich

Reaction score
I think I have similar to #1. I've been debating posting about it since I don't remember it during a demo drive, but mine seems to have an odd thrashing/whooshing/rushing sound from the engine in 1 & 2 at low RPMs. Don't think it is induction noise as it goes away once you get above maybe 2k rpms. I guess it could be lugging/bogging but I've tried give more and less gas and still hear it.

Wasn't sure if it was normal or not, but it sounds like it may be. I may still try to grab a video some time.

Citizen

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
1 is totally normal , in few weeks you will not notice nothing XD

2 I don’t know what you mean

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Number 1 is normal. It’s the transmission linking up to the clutch. Sounds like marbles in a tin can. My Evora GT sounded quite loud and my Emira has it too but a lot less. Not sure about number 2 though

OP
S

Seneca Emira

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I was able to record audio for #1. Have a listen - the noise is around the 1 second mark in the middle of the clip here.

I tried to record #2 but the iPhone mic isn't picking it up at all despite it being clearly audible in the cabin. It sounds very much like what this post is describing: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/gearbox-drivetrain-noise-in-5th-and-6th-gear.3186/

I will try to record #2 with more specialized recording equipment.

OP
S

Seneca Emira

Reaction score
I suspect #1 is the well known "hashing / grinding" sound at low rpm (up to about 2000rpm) when throttle is applied. It tends to quieten down after a bit of running in but never disappears. Some cars have it more than others. Its not a mechanical fault, rather a characteristic of the engine to transmission mounting design.

Not sure what #2 is, a sound recording would be quite helpful.
Here's a recording of #2 (fluttering sound in 5th/6th gear at 2.5-3K RPM) with a dedicated mic - you can hear the fluttering in the background that sounds like a high-pitched rattle. It has a deeper sound than this in person but this was the best representation I could get.

Anyone hearing this sound in their Emira?

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It sounds like what @silent cilantro had with his. He posted a video in another thread that sounds very similar.

OP
S

Seneca Emira

Reaction score
It sounds like what @silent cilantro had with his. He posted a video in another thread that sounds very similar.

Yep, that’s the exact same issue except I only notice it in 5th and 6th gears. Sounds like no one has had it addressed successfully?

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yep, that’s the exact same issue except I only notice it in 5th and 6th gears. Sounds like no one has had it addressed successfully?

I thought Silent Cilantro had his dealer adjust it… so as far as I understood his problem was fixed. Maybe not.

The issue for a time in other threads was isolating where the sound was coming from (like you). Nobody knew where it was coming from. Now that you know what it is I’d suggest asking the dealer to address it and supply the video Silent Cilantro posted as a reference.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It might be in the interior. Back window, bottom edge. You can wedge you fingers between the glass and trim. Try having your passenger pull on the trim and see if it does something to the sound. There’s some foamy like blocks in there, probably to insulate the trim from vibrations. Sounds like they are instead rubbing onto something, like rubbing styrofoam together.

Edit: Hearing again it sounds more like a metallic ticking :(

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Here's a recording of #2 (fluttering sound in 5th/6th gear at 2.5-3K RPM) with a dedicated mic - you can hear the fluttering in the background that sounds like a high-pitched rattle. It has a deeper sound than this in person but this was the best representation I could get.

Anyone hearing this sound in their Emira?

Thanks for sharing the recording! I know its tricky to capture such sounds properly so appreciate going out of you way. It's not a sound that I have in my car and am a bit baffled by what is causing it. Doesn't sound like anything major, moreso something loose that starts vibrating at certain frequencies. A shifter cable might transmit such sounds, but in that case the noise should be apparent near the gearstick as well.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I thought Silent Cilantro had his dealer adjust it… so as far as I understood his problem was fixed. Maybe not.

The issue for a time in other threads was isolating where the sound was coming from (like you). Nobody knew where it was coming from. Now that you know what it is I’d suggest asking the dealer to address it and supply the video Silent Cilantro posted as a reference.

I have not taken it in yet. I think the noise is due to vibrations from the engine transferring through the linkage. I am gonna experiment with adding some dampening material around the cables to see if it gets better. Otherwise I'lll take it in. I just don't want them removing half my interior to adjust cables when that may not even solve the problem