V6 FE Auto Sport Mode Driving

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have had the car now since the beginning of June and apart from a week away on holiday I have used it almost every day.
Spent a fortune on fuel (music making juice) and driven it, after the run in period, exclusively in track mode 🤡 16.1 mpg.
As sh!tty winter approaches I had a slightly damp morning for the school run so reluctantly avoided the audio crack which is track mode and selected sport.
What a revelation.
Track mode is great but it can be a bit frantic unless deliberately pressing on. Sport seems to be all things to all drivers. The sound is still there maybe not as much overrun burbles but still nice along with the audio when one presses on.
Shifting shorter but quick and very smooth whereas the shifts balls out in track can be a bit brutalish..
After 3 month of driving something new to smile about (y)
NB - I have never driven a sports anything with a DCT box so the auto to me is fab. I can only think maybe if you are used to a DCT/PDK it might be the same as jumping out of the Taycan onto anything else from an acceleration POV. It is again personal but regardless I thinks its superb.

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
there was some testing in here about sport vs track exahust sound and at least from that one person, they couldnt discern a difference. do we really not have a definitive answer to this? surly there is some mechanical specs out there that would describe exactly whats going on

its weird we dont know still

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The specs for each drive mode are here:

I saw an Emira noise tested before a track day and there was no difference in measured noise between Sport and Track at fixed rpm (4600 I think).

But the anecdotal evidence is the two modes sound slightly different at idle and across the rev range. This is partly because the exhaust valve opening is variable rather than simply open/closed, and depends on engine load, throttle position, and rate of throttle change.

OP
Toomanyloti

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

I saw an Emira noise tested before a track day and there was no difference in measured noise between Sport and Track at fixed rpm (4600 I think).

But the anecdotal evidence is the two modes sound slightly different at idle and across the rev range. This is partly because the exhaust valve opening is variable rather than simply open/closed, and depends on engine load, throttle position, and rate of throttle change.
Thank you Tom for using your bable fish to decipher my gobbledygook đź‘Ť
The sound appears to be different as its more readily short shifting in sport unless of course ones right foot is buried in the carpet then its back to billy bonkers.
In track it hangs on to a gear much longer before shifting so into the howl very quickly. The experience can be varied of course by intervening with the paddles but i forgot to mention the shifts seem almost faultless and just at the right time. I would say sometimes i would prefer it to pick first more readily but not experimented enough with it yet

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I remember reading this years ago and being confused. even based on the exact words the only difference between the two sound wise is "open at idle +200rpm" what does that even mean?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's when the exhaust valve starts to open, so if idle is 1000rpm then in Track the exhaust valve starts to open at 1200rpm. In Tour it opens above 4000rpm and in Sport it is open at 1000rpm (idle).

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It's when the exhaust valve starts to open, so if idle is 1000rpm then in Track the exhaust valve starts to open at 1200rpm. In Tour it opens above 4000rpm and in Sport it is open at 1000rpm (idle).

but why would it be open more often in sport compared to track? that seems backwards?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
On track you need to be below the circuit's static and drive-by noise limits, on the road (sports/tour) you don't.