V6 Autobox News

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I got a quote months ago, that has been locked in. Not cheap though

The question of gear box was never even asked
I am very surprised that they didn't ask about manual/auto as i would expect that the insurance would be invalid if the transmission type was incorrect. To get a guide price I got a quote for a manual Emira and it was more expensive than my 410 Sport Evora (auto), but I put the difference down to the fact it is a brand new model (where the insurers have no history to use), it is worth more and there is price inflation to add to the mix.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I am very surprised that they didn't ask about manual/auto as i would expect that the insurance would be invalid if the transmission type was incorrect. To get a guide price I got a quote for a manual Emira and it was more expensive than my 410 Sport Evora (auto), but I put the difference down to the fact it is a brand new model (where the insurers have no history to use), it is worth more and there is price inflation to add to the mix.
Apologies,, I looked back at the form I was asked to complete in April, I can see I did declare auto

Nlsmith2123

Reaction score
Screenshot_20220910-143528_Gmail.jpg

I think going for the auto really delayed the lotus for me. I'm in the US and I was orginally hoping to have it by years end, now I'm just hoping next summer lol.

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Apologies,, I looked back at the form I was asked to complete in April, I can see I did declare auto
Thanks, for the info. This is interesting as I think that April was prior to type approval, (if I remember correctly) hoping @TomE may be able to confirm. If it was prior to type approval, I wonder how your broker has quoted, beacuse as far as I understand it, the insurers databases wouldn't have the info loaded that they would need to quote.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks, for the info. This is interesting as I think that April was prior to type approval, (if I remember correctly) hoping @TomE may be able to confirm. If it was prior to type approval, I wonder how your broker has quoted, beacuse as far as I understand it, the insurers databases wouldn't have the info loaded that they would need to quote.
It was quoted as part of a two car deal, both cars were expected In June. The Tesla I received, the Lotus of course I’m still waiting for. The insurer is a Lloyds syndicate member, called Equity Red Star. Because I’ve been living outside the UK for many years, I’ve been treated as a new driver here, so full No Claims worth nothing (total bullshit but seems to be how they work here), I was quoted GBP 1,000 for myself and my wife who drives on an overseas license

Seems expensive probably not so crazy, Especially if no claims discount will be applied going forward which will bring the premium down

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Good point. They could build the cars as promised in October, but won't be able to let us have them (if it is a type approval issue).
Why would they pre-build and store them?

They urgently need cash flow so need to get deliverable cars out the door to invoice customers/dealers!

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Why would they pre-build and store them?

They urgently need cash flow so need to get deliverable cars out the door to invoice customers/dealers!
If the issue is type approval, which is only a guess in the absence of any info, they may build auto RHD UK cars whilst they wait for such approval. If this is the case, it is a risky strategy, as the regulator may ask for changes which could be difficult to implement on already built cars.
I absolutely agree that Lotus need to get these cars handed over for casflow reasons, but if assumptions are correct (which seem to be backed up by the UK auto insurance position), they may have no choice but to hold them back.
There is no such issue with the manual cars as type approval is in place as evidenced by the fact you can insure a manual in the UK.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have just e.mailed Customer Care to ask whether the V6 Auto has Type Approval, I will post an update when I hear back from them.
Interesting to know if the output numbers are as before, they quoted higher torque previously, now nothing related to Auto is mentioned

OP
DJS

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I spoke with CC in the week on the online chat on the Lotus website and asked about the auto box and all I got back was they had no further reason to believe that there would be further delays and to expect a call in the next few weeks to arrange the final payment and delivery.

Problem is none of this stacks up with the continuous silence, I think we would all be a lot happier if the demo cars had come in to our dealers as then and only then we will be happy something is happening.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
dont you worry.. i will take lots of pictures and videos of my also breaking the speed limit of 120km/h of my MANUAL..... so you dont feel too left out waiting for your "old man" auto box... :)
No worries!
I´ll wait for you in my Evora, while you take your time through the pedals! 🤣

maybe even have a sip of Champagne from the cupholder after opening the fridge, it's the best option not to fall sleep!

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
No worries!
I´ll wait for you in my Evora, while you take your time through the pedals! 🤣

maybe even have a sip of Champagne from the cupholder after opening the fridge, it's the best option not to fall sleep!
ohhh so bentley made your evora, not lotus I see.....

Tommyboy1986

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It doesn’t surprise me there are very few Autos amongst the dealer demos. Only about 10-15% of V6 FE orders are for Auto, so the demo fleet will reflect that too.

I saw Auto pre-prod cars at Hethel in January and other people have seen one or two during more recent factory tours.

I’ve not heard if UK type approval has been achieved or not for the Auto. I know it has for Manual.

When the most recent delay was announced, I was told there was a slightly longer delay for Auto cars, of maybe 1-2 months compared to the delays for Manuals. Hence why we’re seeing the very earliest Autos in the Oct build batch, not Sept.
10%%%%%% love it!!! Market flooded with manuals and very few clunky autos ! Very pleased 😍😍👌🏽