Toyota V6 engine....?

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Toyota sourced V6 engine used by Lotus in the Emira has direct, port or both injection?
After researching the GR Corolla(have a depositon on), I discovered that the 3-cylinder turbo engine has both port and direct-injection which is great because it helps stop the buildup of carbon on the backside of the valves, which can detrimentally affect performance and must be addressed at some point.
Screenshot_20220407-135440_Samsung Internet.jpg

Schumacher

Reaction score
This is a really old basic engine design. There is no direct injection. If you want modern order the Merc.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The engines design is old, but certainly not basic. It has a lot of tech like variable valve timing for example. To answer your question: It's port injection only, with all it's benefits like no carbon build-up on the valves, way less particulates and NOx than direct injection engines (that's one reason why the V6 Emira doesn't require a gas particulate filter, but the i4 does), but also with it's downside of being a bit more thirsty which leads to more CO2 which leads to more taxes.

OP
M

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The engines design is old, but certainly not basic. It has a lot of tech like variable valve timing for example. To answer your question: It's port injection only, with all it's benefits like no carbon build-up on the valves, way less particulates and NOx than direct injection engines (that's one reason why the V6 Emira doesn't require a gas particulate filter, but the i4 does), but also with it's downside of being a bit more thirsty which leads to more CO2 which leads to more taxes.
Sounds good.
I know a lot of modern engines with direct-injection suffer from a lot of carbon buildup which has to be addressed at some point if you keep the car long enough.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
They also have to have very high-pressure fuel pumps that aren't as reliable as the regular port injection. New direct injection 997's were having them fail left and right when they first came out.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@FederGigant to be fair Toyota has been using VVT since the late 90s. I wouldn't exactly consider it modern technology

darkling

Emira Fan
Reaction score
hyundai has a major problem with build up they have a tsb out for injector cleaner every oil change to stop it
on the gdi engines .

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
hyundai has a major problem with build up they have a tsb out for injector cleaner every oil change to stop it
on the gdi engines .
Many earlier generation engines with DI have carbon buildup issues on the stalks of intake valves. There's lots of short term fixes including using intake foam cleaners but they're all temporary and it keeps building up. The industry seems to have moved to a mix of port and direct injection that tries to achieve the benefits of both with improved reliability and ease of maintenance.

Personally I'm totally fine with port injection - it helps keep the valves clean and requires lower fuel pump pressure so is generally more reliable. There is a variant of the Toyota 2GR-FE called the 2GR-FSE that includes both direct and port injection and is a bit more efficient. I'm not sure the specific reasoning why that engine isn't used in the Emira (or Evora), but I'm sure someone here will know! My assumption is that use of DI makes it difficult to reliably bolt on turbos or superchargers.

Dabjbr

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I own a 2007 bmw 335i with 260k miles. I beat on it for 10+ before giving it to my son. He drives a lot easier than I but over the decade of me driving this DI turbo car, I went through 4 high pressure fuel pumps and walnut blasted the valves twice myself - DIY.

I could’ve should’ve did the cleaning more often but at a certain point, I didn’t care to and the potential power loss was worth my time and energy to do the DIY again.

My point is, I’m very happy the Emira is PI. I think it will be highly dependable and should be relatively easy to maintain. Hyper car looks with super car performance and economy car maintenance. That’s a winning combination to me!

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Many earlier generation engines with DI have carbon buildup issues on the stalks of intake valves. There's lots of short term fixes including using intake foam cleaners but they're all temporary and it keeps building up. The industry seems to have moved to a mix of port and direct injection that tries to achieve the benefits of both with improved reliability and ease of maintenance.

Personally I'm totally fine with port injection - it helps keep the valves clean and requires lower fuel pump pressure so is generally more reliable. There is a variant of the Toyota 2GR-FE called the 2GR-FSE that includes both direct and port injection and is a bit more efficient. I'm not sure the specific reasoning why that engine isn't used in the Emira (or Evora), but I'm sure someone here will know! My assumption is that use of DI makes it difficult to reliably bolt on turbos or superchargers.
2GR-FSE It's heavier and less powerful.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
There is a variant of the Toyota 2GR-FE called the 2GR-FSE that includes both direct and port injection and is a bit more efficient. I'm not sure the specific reasoning why that engine isn't used in the Emira (or Evora), but I'm sure someone here will know!
The FSE uses a different transmission output bolt pattern and is designed for longitudinal orientation in a RWD car. This means it can't be used in the Lotus which depends on an engine/transmission designed for transverse FWD layout for its tight mid-engine placement.

Before anyone asks, the M139 and 8G-DCT is designed for the A/CLA/GLA/GLB class chassis, which are FWD or AWD.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was looking at some Toyota engine date and see they have a different engine they use in the Lexus GS500 and GS600.

Toyota V35A-FTS 3.5L Twin Turbo​

It states it has direct and indirect inject putting out 418hp and 600nm of torque. As this was introduced in 2017 is lightweight and lots of new tech I’m surprised why Lotus have never considered upgrading to this.

Rupes

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’m glad it’s not a turbo. They don’t sound as good, and probably gets too hot with the limited airflow for a mid-engine setup too.

Love that lotus is sticking with so many tried and true parts.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m glad it’s not a turbo. They don’t sound as good, and probably gets too hot with the limited airflow for a mid-engine setup too.

Love that lotus is sticking with so many tried and true parts.
I think you are right Rupes regarding the heat after reading the i4 initially had heat issues. Still if this was is Toyotas most modern engine they could have used it with a supercharger.

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think you are right Rupes regarding the heat after reading the i4 initially had heat issues. Still if this was is Toyotas most modern engine they could have used it with a supercharger.
I don't think a twin-turbo engine will physically fit in the Emira.
Also, we believe that using a proven engine would have been better in terms of development time than working on a new engine when the i4 also has to be built.