TopGear Mag interview with Matt Windle

Lotus boss: ‘if you want sportscars, we need to make money’​

Published: 04 Apr 2022

“We’re building an environment at Lotus that’s built on delivery,” Windle said. “We’re not going after hundreds and hundreds of thousands of cars a year, so it’s modest production figures. But it’s a big step. I realise it’s a big step for people that know Lotus. The important thing for us is to bring new customers in so they understand Lotus. That will then filter down to the sportscars,” he added.

1649706262091.png

Last edited:

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Lotus boss: ‘if you want sportscars, we need to make money’​

Published: 04 Apr 2022

“We’re building an environment at Lotus that’s built on delivery,” Windle said. “We’re not going after hundreds and hundreds of thousands of cars a year, so it’s modest production figures. But it’s a big step. I realise it’s a big step for people that know Lotus. The important thing for us is to bring new customers in so they understand Lotus. That will then filter down to the sportscars,” he added.

View attachment 4429
This colour in my opinion looks awful in sunshine on an Emira, I called it "Moccasin" colour. The Emira was next to a black and white one headed out to Holland it looked :poop: next to the black and white cars!

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This colour in my opinion looks awful in sunshine on an Emira, I called it "Moccasin" colour. The Emira was next to a black and white one headed out to Holland it looked :poop: next to the black and white cars!
That photo I believe is the Evija not an Emira. Indoor lighting is deceptive. It's a gold tone and likely the one debuted and raced at Goodwood. Check the YouTube clip.

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
That photo I believe is the Evija not an Emira. Indoor lighting is deceptive. It's a gold tone and likely the one debuted and raced at Goodwood. Check the YouTube clip.
Yes this photo is the Evija, I also saw an Emira in this colour alongside a black and white Emira that was being sent to Holland, it did not look great in the sunshine.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Being a first time client to Lotus, the communication has put me on the fence because I’ve lost much of the interest and excitement. Haven’t heard anything since last September except for the time I reached out to see if I got on the FE wagon. Other than that, nothing from Lotus or the dealer.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Being a first time client to Lotus, the communication has put me on the fence because I’ve lost much of the interest and excitement. Haven’t heard anything since last September except for the time I reached out to see if I got on the FE wagon. Other than that, nothing from Lotus or the dealer.
Keep in mind it's a niche brand, or has been anyways. Supposedly Lotus wants to change that, but based on the TG interview with Matt Windle, it's clear the big focus right now is on quality. This is actually good, even though we'd of course like more communication. It will be much easier to forgive some communication issues if people start receiving cars that are first class in fit, finish and quality. Glowing reports from reviewers and early owners will go a long way towards making people feel better about the brand.

The next thing Matt needs to get Lotus to do is put that focus on quality into communications and adding more dealers (at least in the U.S.). Let's hope that happens next, because that's going to be necessary if Lotus wants to be viewed as a premium brand beyond just making a great looking car.

CarGuy07

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind it's a niche brand, or has been anyways. Supposedly Lotus wants to change that, but based on the TG interview with Matt Windle, it's clear the big focus right now is on quality. This is actually good, even though we'd of course like more communication. It will be much easier to forgive some communication issues if people start receiving cars that are first class in fit, finish and quality. Glowing reports from reviewers and early owners will go a long way towards making people feel better about the brand.

The next thing Matt needs to get Lotus to do is put that focus on quality into communications and adding more dealers (at least in the U.S.). Let's hope that happens next, because that's going to be necessary if Lotus wants to be viewed as a premium brand beyond just making a great looking car.
I don’t see why quality and good communication have to be one or the other. Quality and building cars fall on engineering and production, whereas communication is on the marketing/PR department.

OP
Porter

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You're preaching to the choir here. Lotus is doing great things with the product it seems, but they are very Not Ready For Primetime on the comms and customer engagement front. There seem to be lots of "PR" people but none of them actually doing the work of relating to the public. And if they have a marketing department that does something other than glitzy online graphics, I haven't seen it.

We've all complained about this stuff a number of times over the last year. Me, more than most. At this point we just have to wait and see.

3MIRA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Scott the sales chief told me at Hethel visit that the "handling and performance are a given" he was most proud of the fit and finish and over all quality of the car.