Top gear top 9 (worst) steering wheels

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Obviously a heavy personal preference item. I have square top/bottom on my R8 and love it. I do not have large hands so I hope it is not overly thick like the BMW.

1650304448333.jpeg

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have held it and I can confirm it's thick, but no in a round squidgy way like a BMW m steering wheel, it's quite squared and firm. It's definitely designed for paddle use in mind. I think I like how it felt but need to actually drive it to be sure. Its cross section is like this for your reference:
未标题-1.jpg

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Yea yea yea. More of nothing. Why don't they post what steering wheels they like?

OP
M

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
For what it's worth - I've owned an M240i and an M4 Comp and don't understand what the fuss is about. I like those wheels.

Squared off bottom looks nice, not sure it's practical in shape but then also not sure it matters much.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
TL;DR - Emira is #7. I plan to get a reshaped aftermarket wheel with deviated stitching and color matched TDC stripe anyway.

Screenshot_20220418-181326_Chrome.jpg

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Weird. I like non-round steering wheels, and I like them thick. I totally agree, though, that tiny capacitive buttons are stupidity central… I’m hoping the Emira buttons quickly become intuitive.

Schumacher

Reaction score
I loved all my M steering wheels! I love that they are thick wheels. Tesla is by far the worst. The Corvette wheel is also horrible. Then again there is not a single redeeming quality of the interior or exterior of a Vette. I do admit I am not a fan of non-round steering wheels. They look cool, but are not real practical. It is good news that the Emira wheel is thick.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't think the Emira wheel is all that bad really. I understand flattening the bottom to make it easier for your legs to slide under the wheel when getting in or out of the car. The slight flattening at the top helps for the driver's visibility over the wheel, so the reasons are good enough. Since Lotus cars have a quick steering ratio, it's not like you're going to do a lot of lock-to-lock spinning of the steering wheel. It certainly looks a LOT better than the C8 Vette wheel which is hideous in my opinion.

I'm getting leather so it may not feel as thick as the Alcantara wheel. I'm okay with it.

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don’t care for the Emira steering wheel either. I’d prefer the Evora wheel.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't think the Emira wheel is all that bad really. I understand flattening the bottom to make it easier for your legs to slide under the wheel when getting in or out of the car. The slight flattening at the top helps for the driver's visibility over the wheel, so the reasons are good enough. Since Lotus cars have a quick steering ratio, it's not like you're going to do a lot of lock-to-lock spinning of the steering wheel. It certainly looks a LOT better than the C8 Vette wheel which is hideous in my opinion.

I'm getting leather so it may not feel as thick as the Alcantara wheel. I'm okay with it.
I think the biggest issue is that it doesn't rotate around the center axis, not that it's squared off. Wheels should turn symmetrically. The Emira wheel does not, the wheel body is offset vertically from the steering column axis, so it arcs over the top as it turns and not around the geometric center. This is crazy to me, because it changes the amount of leverage the hand has on the wheel depending on where you grip it.

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think the biggest issue is that it doesn't rotate around the center axis, not that it's squared off. Wheels should turn symmetrically. The Emira wheel does not, the wheel body is offset vertically from the steering column axis, so it arcs over the top as it turns and not around the geometric center. This is crazy to me, because it changes the amount of leverage the hand has on the wheel depending on where you grip it.
I almost wonder if that intentionally promotes better grip location, like "10 and 2" or whatever it may be. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the reason since they actually took into account the distance of the manual shifter from the steering wheel, being close, which is ideal.

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Agree. Makes me feel like I have OCD watching the wheel pivot in such an odd fashion. Who at Lotus thought that such an odd shape was a good idea? Maybe they should drive ANY Porsche….

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe they should scrap that wheel design all together and find a new supplier since 1.) it's already rated in a "worst steering wheels" list and 2.) their supplier already dropped the ball and failed to offer deviated stitching on manual transmission wheels, which caused a HUGE backlash.