• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The watches thread

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
New or old Pelagos? I adore it! Pictures please! I personally like the slightly bigger, old model a bit more. The clasp mechanism with the fine adjust is one of the best I know (Doxa comes close). But tbh my impression was that in comparison the PAM feels a bit like a overpriced piece of fashion jewelry to the Tudor.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
careful where you wear a Rolex nowadays or you will get it taken off you in broad daylight...or followed etc etc (TWATS)

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
New or old Pelagos? I adore it! Pictures please! I personally like the slightly bigger, old model a bit more. The clasp mechanism with the fine adjust is one of the best I know (Doxa comes close). But tbh my impression was that in comparison the PAM feels a bit like a overpriced piece of fashion jewelry to the Tudor.
New one. Switch between rubber and bracelet. But stay on rubber strap most of time
Such a good tool watch. I wear it so much I didn't think I had a pic but found one of me having laugh with a mate flexing in the 300 pound Skoda I had a while back when I had my Porsche.

Screenshot_20221029-104957_Photos.jpg

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
My daily (rotary / wankel) Mazda RX-8 HP and correspondent SINN RX-8 watch with a second's marker executed as rotary trochodial piston .........

IMG_20190903_225633.jpg

....and my 1975 Rolex GMT Master ref. 1675 in original and mint condition (1st owner)..............

ROLEX-SAAB_IMGP0175.jpg

Last edited:

LotusAmateur

Reaction score
For the watch+car enthusiasts, love my Tissot Alpine OnBoard. Based on the PR516 with a racing heritage, it was released to go with the new A110. Great to attach to the display and the details matching the car are lovely. Perfect for my drive today through the Cotswolds. Maybe Lotus will do one too given Tissot’s sponsorship of Team Lotus in the early 80s. 🤞

Attachments

• 9BD3822E-9B8E-41C5-9518-77CE068D9683.jpeg
    9BD3822E-9B8E-41C5-9518-77CE068D9683.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 6CBD2C22-C23C-4C31-98DA-3F9969874991.jpeg
    6CBD2C22-C23C-4C31-98DA-3F9969874991.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DFEF6E0A-0E35-42BC-AA01-79F5EA286462.jpeg
    DFEF6E0A-0E35-42BC-AA01-79F5EA286462.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 83EB4390-2F16-45DD-AB56-3430B40F34BE.jpeg
    83EB4390-2F16-45DD-AB56-3430B40F34BE.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 47

Italiabrain

Reaction score
Interestingly (or not) I bought a luxury watch online this week.
I then went into a watch store on a whim the day after and the experience was noticeably night and day. The additional feel good factor of going into store was tangible. Without the 'experience' human interaction from fellow enthusiasts and perceived alignment of values to the brand, the buying of luxury goods will just become the same as going out to buy a loaf of bread....
No customer experience. No luxury brand.
FWIW my recent JLC experience (like haven't even received the watch yet recent) was a lot more personable than my in person Emira test drive yesterday. My local dealer (yay at least it's there!) is an interesting experience every time and they don't actually have a dedicated Lotus space. Lotus gets sold and serviced through their "high line". So it was pretty trial and error to find the Emira itself, then which dealership the registration was actually happening in (it was Ferrari) and go from there. The Lotus corporate guy never even looked at me, but kept telling the sales guys over and over again that I needed to register when I already had. Then one of the local sales guys kept making comments about how they weren't sure who was getting FE's and that the order of reservations was kind of secretive and on and on to the point that I stayed after the test drive to talk to the manager (not in a reporting him way--- in a WTF we had this established way).
JLC over the phone was all like "I'll be your concierge, contact me if you need anything at all. I know you know it's already coming, but could we gift wrap that for you for the experience of opening it?" "Would you be okay with a new example from one of our authorized boutiques, or would you prefer to wait for new production directly from us?"

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
My daily (rotary / wankel) Mazda RX-8 HP and correspondent SINN RX-8 watch with a second's marker executed as rotary trochodial piston .........

View attachment 10247

....and my 1975 Rolex GMT Master ref. 1675 in original and mint condition (1st owner)..............

View attachment 10248
No way I love my Sinns and never new about that wankel one! Very cool 😎
How did a German brand find itself making a watch for Mazda?
Rolex from that vintage is just class 👌

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
For the watch+car enthusiasts, love my Tissot Alpine OnBoard. Based on the PR516 with a racing heritage, it was released to go with the new A110. Great to attach to the display and the details matching the car are lovely. Perfect for my drive today through the Cotswolds. Maybe Lotus will do one too given Tissot’s sponsorship of Team Lotus in the early 80s. 🤞
Saw one of these for first time yesterday looking at the Alpine Facebook page. Really cool and great idea. Someone needs to make a less intrusive mount though, would make it even cooler.
Love watches in cars, this is even better though because you can remove and wear it 👌

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
FWIW my recent JLC experience (like haven't even received the watch yet recent) was a lot more personable than my in person Emira test drive yesterday. My local dealer (yay at least it's there!) is an interesting experience every time and they don't actually have a dedicated Lotus space. Lotus gets sold and serviced through their "high line". So it was pretty trial and error to find the Emira itself, then which dealership the registration was actually happening in (it was Ferrari) and go from there. The Lotus corporate guy never even looked at me, but kept telling the sales guys over and over again that I needed to register when I already had. Then one of the local sales guys kept making comments about how they weren't sure who was getting FE's and that the order of reservations was kind of secretive and on and on to the point that I stayed after the test drive to talk to the manager (not in a reporting him way--- in a WTF we had this established way).
JLC over the phone was all like "I'll be your concierge, contact me if you need anything at all. I know you know it's already coming, but could we gift wrap that for you for the experience of opening it?" "Would you be okay with a new example from one of our authorized boutiques, or would you prefer to wait for new production directly from us?"
Sounds like great event pre planning and comms again!
I hope the drive was good at least

LotusAmateur

Reaction score
Yeah. The mount is quite chunky and should be way sleeker. And a right pain to get - I had to chase Tissot HQ for months and finally Alpine sorted me out.

The watch is well executed and the Valjoux movement is good with a nice transparent case back. Has a solid feel to it. And a unique conversation piece all the time with the car story and all the details.

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah. The mount is quite chunky and should be way sleeker. And a right pain to get - I had to chase Tissot HQ for months and finally Alpine sorted me out.

The watch is well executed and the Valjoux movement is good with a nice transparent case back. Has a solid feel to it. And a unique conversation piece all the time with the car story and all the details.
IF I did get an A110 (and it is a consideration now) I would love the watch, definitely a cool little conversation piece. They seem to be rare though. Someone is selling one for 500, is that fair?

LotusAmateur

Reaction score
Depends on which one it is. Think the quartz was about £400 or so new. I have the automatic and it was about £1600. Tissot got couple of new versions I think - one in orange to match the A110S colours. And one for the F1 team. Definitely worth looking into it if you get the A110 - makes a special car even more special.

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Depends on which one it is. Think the quartz was about £400 or so new. I have the automatic and it was about £1600. Tissot got couple of new versions I think - one in orange to match the A110S colours. And one for the F1 team. Definitely worth looking into it if you get the A110 - makes a special car even more special.
Ahhh that makes sense. It will be the quartz.
I thought 500 for a Valjoux was good value!
Thank you will take a look

hml_xy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
New one. Switch between rubber and bracelet. But stay on rubber strap most of time
Such a good tool watch. I wear it so much I didn't think I had a pic but found one of me having laugh with a mate flexing in the 300 pound Skoda I had a while back when I had my Porsche.

View attachment 10226

The blue really pops nicely! Seemingly also becoming one that can't be bought straightaway anymore. Did you have to wait for it?
One of the nicest toolwatches and a very good "daily". Congratulations!

Nothing wrong about a trusty Skoda also! 👍🏻

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The blue really pops nicely! Seemingly also becoming one that can't be bought straightaway anymore. Did you have to wait for it?
One of the nicest toolwatches and a very good "daily". Congratulations!

Nothing wrong about a trusty Skoda also! 👍🏻
I loved the Skoda almost as much as the Porsche 🥰😁
As with cars I don't like losing too much money so always try and get a deal unless it's something ltd that I simply have to have.
Got the Pelagos about 4 years ago on a trip duty free and cost me £2400! Quite fancy the left handed one, but youbare correct they are getting harder to get and prices heading one way....
What is you daily of choice?

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I wonder why nobody is thinking of a Lotus watch? I am not.

This one for the Dark Verdant guys!!!

View attachment 10273
It would be epic if Lotus partnered up with a good watch maker
Garrick are just down the road from Hethel