The great big "all the customer test drives" thread

scoates

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did my first proper drive with some other Lotus people last weekend up into the hills. On a dry day, mountain roads in the highlands, sun shining, all I can say is wow! The grip was insane even though temperatures were low (on the Goodyear tyres now!) and the feel and feedback from the steering chassis and suspension was brilliant. It really flowed with the road and held its line through the corners well. I feel it is the right performance level for this kind of driving as you can get the most out of the car without going ridiculously quick. The more miles I put on the car the more the gearbox seems to loosen up, or maybe I'm just getting more used to it, but shifts are getting easier, not that I had any major issue to start with, a bit more slick but still a very "rifle bolt" feel.

Still very pleased with my purchase!

WoyxIAR.jpg

pfaz

Reaction score
Had my scheduled test drive this weekend thanks to Lotus Sussex. Coincidently I'd had an email from Lotus the day before telling me my car is now pushed back to Q224 which seems to be the norm for people placing deposits this year.

When placing the order I'd already decided I needed something before delivery date to scratch the itch and so after testing everything on my shortlist I ended up with a brand new Alpine A110. It was the best set of compromises based on my requirements (a great road car with the ability to cover long journeys/driving tours and occasional track days). If I was doing more track days an Exige Sport 380 would have almost certainly been on the cards as I practically fell in love with it but in the end decided it was too raw for my needs, not to mention a wife factor element.

The Emira I tested was a sports suspension/eagle-f1 model, driving on mostly dry roads with a good mix of really crap tarmac and slightly less crap. I got a few chances to push it through the rev range but can’t say I got anywhere near to the chassis limits given a relatively short time to get comfortable with the car.

Walking up to the demo vehicle in Seneca Blue it looked stunning, even under poor light/grey skies. As always photos don't it justice. I'm a huge fan of the A110 looks, it's achingly pretty when up close (many will disagree) but the design team at Lotus really have created something equally special if maybe not quite so individual.

My test drive started from the passenger seat for the first few miles. Within yards I could tell the setup was much firmer over my Alpine which I'd just driven down in but tbh this was hardly a surprise. I have the base A110 which has a compliancy and fluidity almost unsurpassed compared to most cars in it’s class I’ve driven. The Emira didn't feel uncomfortable though and certainly not crashy, even on really poor roads. I can imagine many a road where the Emira sports setup would be an advantage, i.e. driving elsewhere in Europe!

From the passenger seat I took the time to take in the interior which came across as well put together, nice quality materials and fairly spacious with good visibility, although that maybe comes at the expense of some intimacy. I didn't really play with the screen but it seemed a good size and didn't seem to have any of the reported visibility problems although it wasn't a particularly bright morning so maybe not fair to judge.

Moving on to behind the wheel, first the positives. Despite the weight and additional creature comforts Lotus has added to make the car appeal to a wider audience, they've still managed to produce a steering feel far beyond most cars I've tested. This really must be the hydraulic system paying dividends. Arguably an Elise/Exige are a step beyond but this really did impress me and had that classic Lotus go-kart feel, with a great sense of the chassis coming through the alcantara wheel which was super direct. The Alpine steering is also great, fingertip delicate with loads of feedback but there's a level of insulation between wheel and road that the Emira strips away by comparison.

As speed increased and the road surface deteriorated, the chassis stayed composed and it came across as a rare breed of sports car you can drive at legal speeds and sit back and just enjoy the feedback and sensations through the car without putting your licence on the line.

With regards to the gearbox, I really enjoyed the mechanical feel. It didn’t feel much different to other Lotus cars I’ve driven and the added interaction vs an auto is worth the performance sacrifice to me. Even though the DCT in the Alpine is great, I’d trade it for the Lotus manual in a heartbeat.

The negatives? In summary, no showstoppers, just some disappointments. The cabin/engine noise wasn’t great imo. There’s a lot of supercharger coming through which seems to mask the character of the engine/exhaust, especially compared to the external sound which is much more pleasant. There’s an aftermarket opportunity here for sure.

I’ll also repeat what’s been said elsewhere regarding the power/performance. I wouldn’t have guessed 400bhp after a few acceleration runs. The delivery is very linear and with a low rev limit and uninspiring engine note, you don’t get the top end rush that I’d expected. I drove exactly the same roads in the Alpine afterwards and if anything the 250bhp in the A110 pushing 1100kg gives a bigger shove in the back. Maybe that’s turbo vs supercharger and I expect the stopwatch would disagree with my subjective butt feel.

There’s probably lots more I could add but I’ll summarise by saying the Emira is a beautiful car with a lot of positives and a few negatives. The latter I think will almost certainly be resolved with future revisions/aftermarket. Surely a Sport 430 Emira with a 100Kg-150Kg diet is on the cards at some point. At the end of the day Lotus have created a very desirable sports car and I hope the build quality and long term reliability matches their pitch. I’d certainly like a much longer drive to determine if it has what I’d consider ‘greatness’. Thirty minutes isn’t much time at all when you’re spending this sort of money and just about gives you time to get comfortable without giving any real opportunity to make real qualitative judgements. I’ve had hours in comparable test drives and some even allow 24hrs+. I understand that right now everybody with an interest is booking Emira test drives so hopefully this improves over the next few months.

So after the above, how do I rate it compared to my current car? Does it feel like £20k more car than the Alpine (yes I know I’m comparing the FE edition here)? Probably yes judged on looks/material terms alone. I think most seeing them parked side by side and sitting in the cabin would feel where the extra money has gone.

However does the Emira feel like a £20k better car to drive than the A110? I drove the same roads around the dealership in the Alpine before/after the test drive. Bear in mind I’m comparing months of ownership vs a 30 min test drive but today, if you offered me god’s tarmac, no restrictions and the keys to either, I’d take the Alpine without hesitation. It really is that special a car to drive and I suspect people would be queuing up to buy one if this was Lotus’ next car. There must be many an Elise/Exige/Evora owner thinking what next and looking at the Emira but I’d also suggest they owe it to themselves to try an A110.

In the meantime, I really fancy a Lotus Academy day to get to spend some quality time with the Emira and try both chassis setups. I’ve got plenty of time to make my mind up so will keep my deposit in place as I’m still excited about the overall package and it’s potential.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Had my scheduled test drive this weekend thanks to Lotus Sussex. Coincidently I'd had an email from Lotus the day before telling me my car is now pushed back to Q224 which seems to be the norm for people placing deposits this year.

When placing the order I'd already decided I needed something before delivery date to scratch the itch and so after testing everything on my shortlist I ended up with a brand new Alpine A110. It was the best set of compromises based on my requirements (a great road car with the ability to cover long journeys/driving tours and occasional track days). If I was doing more track days an Exige Sport 380 would have almost certainly been on the cards as I practically fell in love with it but in the end decided it was too raw for my needs, not to mention a wife factor element.

The Emira I tested was a sports suspension/eagle-f1 model, driving on mostly dry roads with a good mix of really crap tarmac and slightly less crap. I got a few chances to push it through the rev range but can’t say I got anywhere near to the chassis limits given a relatively short time to get comfortable with the car.

Walking up to the demo vehicle in Seneca Blue it looked stunning, even under poor light/grey skies. As always photos don't it justice. I'm a huge fan of the A110 looks, it's achingly pretty when up close (many will disagree) but the design team at Lotus really have created something equally special if maybe not quite so individual.

My test drive started from the passenger seat for the first few miles. Within yards I could tell the setup was much firmer over my Alpine which I'd just driven down in but tbh this was hardly a surprise. I have the base A110 which has a compliancy and fluidity almost unsurpassed compared to most cars in it’s class I’ve driven. The Emira didn't feel uncomfortable though and certainly not crashy, even on really poor roads. I can imagine many a road where the Emira sports setup would be an advantage, i.e. driving elsewhere in Europe!

From the passenger seat I took the time to take in the interior which came across as well put together, nice quality materials and fairly spacious with good visibility, although that maybe comes at the expense of some intimacy. I didn't really play with the screen but it seemed a good size and didn't seem to have any of the reported visibility problems although it wasn't a particularly bright morning so maybe not fair to judge.

Moving on to behind the wheel, first the positives. Despite the weight and additional creature comforts Lotus has added to make the car appeal to a wider audience, they've still managed to produce a steering feel far beyond most cars I've tested. This really must be the hydraulic system paying dividends. Arguably an Elise/Exige are a step beyond but this really did impress me and had that classic Lotus go-kart feel, with a great sense of the chassis coming through the alcantara wheel which was super direct. The Alpine steering is also great, fingertip delicate with loads of feedback but there's a level of insulation between wheel and road that the Emira strips away by comparison.

As speed increased and the road surface deteriorated, the chassis stayed composed and it came across as a rare breed of sports car you can drive at legal speeds and sit back and just enjoy the feedback and sensations through the car without putting your licence on the line.

With regards to the gearbox, I really enjoyed the mechanical feel. It didn’t feel much different to other Lotus cars I’ve driven and the added interaction vs an auto is worth the performance sacrifice to me. Even though the DCT in the Alpine is great, I’d trade it for the Lotus manual in a heartbeat.

The negatives? In summary, no showstoppers, just some disappointments. The cabin/engine noise wasn’t great imo. There’s a lot of supercharger coming through which seems to mask the character of the engine/exhaust, especially compared to the external sound which is much more pleasant. There’s an aftermarket opportunity here for sure.

I’ll also repeat what’s been said elsewhere regarding the power/performance. I wouldn’t have guessed 400bhp after a few acceleration runs. The delivery is very linear and with a low rev limit and uninspiring engine note, you don’t get the top end rush that I’d expected. I drove exactly the same roads in the Alpine afterwards and if anything the 250bhp in the A110 pushing 1100kg gives a bigger shove in the back. Maybe that’s turbo vs supercharger and I expect the stopwatch would disagree with my subjective butt feel.

There’s probably lots more I could add but I’ll summarise by saying the Emira is a beautiful car with a lot of positives and a few negatives. The latter I think will almost certainly be resolved with future revisions/aftermarket. Surely a Sport 430 Emira with a 100Kg-150Kg diet is on the cards at some point. At the end of the day Lotus have created a very desirable sports car and I hope the build quality and long term reliability matches their pitch. I’d certainly like a much longer drive to determine if it has what I’d consider ‘greatness’. Thirty minutes isn’t much time at all when you’re spending this sort of money and just about gives you time to get comfortable without giving any real opportunity to make real qualitative judgements. I’ve had hours in comparable test drives and some even allow 24hrs+. I understand that right now everybody with an interest is booking Emira test drives so hopefully this improves over the next few months.

So after the above, how do I rate it compared to my current car? Does it feel like £20k more car than the Alpine (yes I know I’m comparing the FE edition here)? Probably yes judged on looks/material terms alone. I think most seeing them parked side by side and sitting in the cabin would feel where the extra money has gone.

However does the Emira feel like a £20k better car to drive than the A110? I drove the same roads around the dealership in the Alpine before/after the test drive. Bear in mind I’m comparing months of ownership vs a 30 min test drive but today, if you offered me god’s tarmac, no restrictions and the keys to either, I’d take the Alpine without hesitation. It really is that special a car to drive and I suspect people would be queuing up to buy one if this was Lotus’ next car. There must be many an Elise/Exige/Evora owner thinking what next and looking at the Emira but I’d also suggest they owe it to themselves to try an A110.

In the meantime, I really fancy a Lotus Academy day to get to spend some quality time with the Emira and try both chassis setups. I’ve got plenty of time to make my mind up so will keep my deposit in place as I’m still excited about the overall package and it’s potential.

There's such valuable feedback in this thread! I hope Lotus has their people following along and taking notes...

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

You've been spoilt by having a great car already 😀

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score

What an excellent analysis and I can see that coming from the alpine it gives a good yardstick for your thoughts.
I think you have also come to the same conclusion as many have that the car is good but slightly uninspiring when coming from another Lotus like the Evora. It is definitely a dilemma we have, but - you also make a great point that if weight. I also think it needs some weight being removed. The electric seats seem to be a good candidate to remove for a dose of looking at, I don’t get why they are electric. Height can be reduced as you take motors and controls out, with the added benefit of weight.
I think a common thread is the final 200-400RPM rush, which we had in the Evora S1 and Limited to 7000 in the Evora400 series. Let alone the Exige series.
But your thoughts on the handling was worth while. Pleased you had no niggles. Excellent, well done.

jimbobc

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Great write up. I have to agree with you that I don’t think it’s better to the drive than the Alpine albeit it has lots of other great attributes. If I could take the keys to either it would be the Alpine. That said the Alpine in the Emira’s body 👍

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Are UK roads so bad? Some of the comments suggest those roads are disastrous. I lived in London for a few years but didn't drive enough to remember well. Can someone compare with California? We don't have smooth roads here but maybe not as bad?
Theyre embarrassing tbh. Never driven anywhere in Europe or America with such consistently poor roads.

pfaz

Reaction score
Theyre embarrassing tbh. Never driven anywhere in Europe or America with such consistently poor roads.
Agreed. Driving UK roads you spend more time looking out for potholes than you do keeping your eyes where they're supposed to be. I've had two tyres damaged due to potholes in the past couple of years. The last one was so bad that it damaged the wheel which I didn't even notice until the tyre was being fitted. You then have the fun experience of trying to claim off of the local borough for damages.

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Just had my 30 minutes...
My feelings...
Looks great.
Really comfortable drive. Tour chassis. I have sport ordered and will need a sport chassis drive, but I'm perfectly happy with a slightly harder ride than the tour.
Sound in cabin great for me at low revs... Not too loud at all. Can hold an easy conversation. But external sound not as good as I hoped. And I'm more a fan of an exhaust note than a SC whine when hustling. Not a deal breaker but not my preferred note!
A few cheap switches (vents and handbrake), but the rest were perfectly good. Haptic buttons on wheel were fine. They are not sensitive so I didn't hit any accidentally.
Stereo perfectly good. Maybe not the loudest but goes plenty loud enough for the occupants... Its not the car you expect the owner to want to broadcast their music to everyone else anyway! I hope we all have more class than that😜.
Driving a manual fast is harder than I remember! The clutch weight and bite point were fine. Its just my ability that was the rusty bit! The car drives superbly, but I have forgotten how much work the paddles have taken away from the driving effort!
I'm either going to improve with practice or they'll be a nimbus with sports for sale mid 2024!

Brunel

Reaction score
Drove the Bristol demonstrator today. Grey, touring with red leather. I’m 6’4” with size 13 feet and 100kg - was disappointed as others have mentioned in the pedal spacing. My clutch toe kept catching the trim under the dashboard at the top of the clutch pedal travel. Left leg room was too tight for me - needed an extra couple of inches before my left leg hit the centre console. Headroom ok but no space for a helmet.
Drive was good when kept revving but no real low down power and felt way off its 400bhp. Gear change sharp with short throw but clutch heavier than I’d expected and would be a pain in slow traffic. Nice supercharger noise when wound up and predictably tight Lotus handling. Suspension compliant. Fit and finish seemed good but centre screen a bit small/laggy and the stereo was average. Black pack with plastic roof looked like a recipe for scratches. Privacy glass looked silly to me but other views differ!
Not sure I’ll proceed - it looks fantastic and I liked the compactness, but I left feeling pretty underwhelmed tbh.

First Lotus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
A couple of other things I should add...
Contrary to a few comments on here I felt the pedals were almost too far apart! I'm size 10.
Head rest felt almost too low! . I'm 6'.
The power isn't amazing. It's fun. I would question the need for any more power in a manual. DCT, sure, give it all you got, but with a manual there's too much human involvement. IMO.
I'm new to lotus (hence name!). But I test drove a couple of evoras early spring when trying to decide if I'd made the right suspension choice. I actually didn't much enjoy the experience of them. Too many shakes and rattles and dated feel and uncomfortable. I left thinking if my Emira feels the same then I will cancel. The added comfort of the emira whilst keeping the engaging drive and great handling is much closer to what I enjoy in a car.

vroomvroom

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to drive the nimbus w. red leather tour car in Washington, DC this morning. Technically the DC dealership doesn't physically exist yet (should open in the second half of next year), but when it is done it will be in Rockville, MD as part of the well-established Ourisman dealer network of the Washington, DC area. Shout out to the dealership GM, Loc Truong, and the Lotus rep, Shahbaz Lateef, for welcoming us. Shahbaz is likely the driver with the most miles behind the wheel of an Emira at the moment (3,200), so it was great getting his feedback during our chat. As for my much-less experienced opinion, here's my 2 cents:

As just about everyone agrees, the car is a stunner to see in person. My order spec is verdant w/ tan, but I wouldn't balk if I had to settle for the nimbus instead; It catches the light beautifully and pairs really nicely with the black pack. I'm not sure I'd pick the red leather with anything other than a black exterior (which, of course, isn't an option on the FE), but again, I could learn to live with it.

We popped the boot and saw first-hand the water drip issue over the engine bay. Shahbaz had a towel ready to wipe it up, so he definitely knows the routine, but I can't imagine this isn't a totally fixable tweak down the road. If you decide to not buy the car because of this issue, I speak for everyone behind you on the build list when I say, "Thank you for being a short-sighted moron."

Getting into the car was a breeze (saying this as a 6'1" 45 year-old with a bad back). Getting out was a wee bit slower, but I'll definitely score higher on the judge's cards with practice. Once inside I had plenty of room for head/legs. I was struck by how much smaller the steering wheel and shift knob were in real life compared to what I expected from photos. Both are definitely small, but at the same time perfectly proportioned for the car. I really liked placement of the shifter in relation to the steering wheel, which I know they pride themselves on; it really is something you can appreciate in person.
IMG_5899.jpg

...and speaking of steering, I'll echo the masses here in saying that you feel supremely connected to the road. Steering is light, but not fidgety...not unlike the Alfa 4C (or even the Giulia/Stelvio) if you've had the pleasure of driving those recently.

Also worth mentioning: For anyone who has wasted precious moments at their keyboard by complaining about the placement of the clutch/brake/gas pedals, I'm guessing it's a real nightmare being your waiter at a restaurant. The pedals are totally fine, people. I mean, I didn't even look down there when I got in. My left foot immediately found the clutch, my right foot then found the brake, and I started her up. Are they placed an inch or two to one side or another from your previous car? Maybe, but for anyone really worried about this non-issue, you're going to be 100% fine operating the Emira. The learning curve is zero. For my entire 15 min drive with plenty of stops and starts and rapid accelerations, I had no problems with the pedals. I was able to heel-toe at a couple points with ease (wearing standard width loafers, size 11.5).

As for the transmission, the shifting isn't butter smooth, but works just fine. No missed gears or grinding for me, but I noticed definitely a bit of resistance notching into each gear. I've driven Mazdas and Porsches with super smooth gates, and the Emira isn't at the top of that list. It's fine, but not among the best. That said, I will give it high marks for the ease and functionality of the reverse bezel. I had to 3-point turn somewhat quickly at one point, and it couldn't have been quicker. Only after I made the turn did I realize it was the first time I put the car into reverse.

In terms of acceleration, as previously mentioned, this is not a neck-snapper. The real joy of this car is found between gears 2 and 3, coming in and out of turns, and matching downshift revs with a smile.

A couple other notes:

I couldn't have been happier with the throttle body being front-and-center when you look in the rear view mirror. It really makes you feel as one with the machine when you hit the accelerator in front of you and can see the throttle open behind you. Very, very cool.

IMG_5900.jpg

The exposed shifter gear linkage is illuminated when the lights are on. Also, very cool.

Space behind the seats is definitely narrow (maybe 6"?), but the storage space in the boot is wider than I expected with its lower parts extending wider than the opening at the top.
IMG_5901.jpg

Privacy tinting on the rear side windows is jarringly darker than the untinted door windows; I will definitely be tinting those windows to match once I take delivery. I feel the visual fluidity of the car suffers a bit with that sharp wall of black on those smaller windows otherwise. The engine cover tint isn't too bad (you can still see the "LOTUS" engine cover just fine through the dark privacy glass).

It was a super-sunny morning during my drive, and I definitely could not read the center info screen well when the light came in through the side (untinted) windows. Since they're likely not making a brighter screen any time soon, I think the solution is to tint your side windows to darken the cabin overall.

Overall, I found the car super-easy and pleasurable to drive. It is most definitely worth the $$ as one of our last opportunities to row your own gears in such a unique visual beauty of a car.

Lolub

Reaction score
Hey all! Did my test drive today too at Lotus of DC, I think right before vroom!

(Nimbus, privacy glass, red calipers and seats, black pack)

Nimbus is my spec so I was excited to see it in person!

Here's my quick take, compared with my (analog) S2000 (with OEM hardtop). FYI - never driven a Lotus, Audi, Jaguar, Porsche, or any other German or European vehicle. (Previously owned two Supra MKIVs as well, turbo and non-turbo.)

Design = 10! 👏
(OMG, so beautiful in the flesh!!) 😍😍

Transmission and Engine = 10! 👏
(No missed gears, even smoother (clank) than S2000 (snickety)!) Clutch engages right away at bottom, like I prefer! Less picky than S2000! Drove it immediately like a pro, impressed the sales guy! 😛)

Exhaust Sound = 10! 👏
(Heard "Tour" and "Sport" dial selections. Didn't try the "Track" option!)

KEF = forgot about it, didn't care! 😛

Seats = 10! 👏
(Beautiful, comfy, and hold you right in place! Very low, cool! 👍)

Suspension = 10! 👏
(Much more forgiving than S2000! I'll take this puppy across the country! 🕺)

Acceleration = 8! 😃
(Only got it up to 35 mph! 😛 Not "super-fast", but linear and powerful! Love its low end power, no need to rev the hell out of it and eat up all the gas! 🕺)

Console screen = 10! 👏
(Only looked at it a couple times while driving, too excited experiencing the car!)

Trunk space = didn't look! Only had 15 minutes! 😛

Interior = 8! 😃
(Cozy and sporty! Some hard bits on the door, but otherwise similar or almost equal to S2000, which might be a little better! )

Privacy glass/quarter windows = 5 🤔
(Without tinting windows, contrast is to drastic for me...)

Excitement = 10+!! 👏👏👏
(Felt like a kid in a candy store! Like I just won the lottery! 🕺🕺)

Expectations = 0!
(You shouldn't have any on the first date! It's a new person, a new experience! Be present and enjoy the moment! 🕺)

Satisfaction = 100%! 🥳🥳🥳
(So happy to have found this car early on! No other car has made me this excited for a very very long time!! Happy to give Lotus my money and wait for my baby! Can't wait! Please Santa, come before Christmas! 😁😁)

R1272

Emira Fan
Reaction score
When the car was in Vegas, we were lucky and my wife got a chance to drive it too. One of the first things she said was that it was super easy to drive.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Transmission and Engine = 10! 👏
(No missed gears, even smoother (clank) than S2000 (snickety)!) Clutch engages right away at bottom, like I prefer! Less picky than S2000! Drove it immediately like a pro, impressed the sales guy! 😛)
This is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen conflicting reports on this. The clutch on the Emira I test drove in Bellevue engaged very near the top just before you lift your foot off, and others in reported the same in other locations. Can anyone else confirm? Makes me cautiously concerned for QA if there's that much discrepancy between production cars.

Hodl

Reaction score
This is the 3rd or 4th time I've seen conflicting reports on this. The clutch on the Emira I test drove in Bellevue engaged very near the top just before you lift your foot off, and others in reported the same in other locations. Can anyone else confirm? Makes me cautiously concerned for QA if there's that much discrepancy between production cars.
Clutch engagement was much closer to the bottom than the top for my test drive back in October. Definitely preferred this. No issues for me finding the engagement point in the clutch. For reference, I've owned an Evo8 and M2 for manual transmission cars but have also driven miatas, s2000, and an old mustang. Old mustang was the heaviest I've ever driven. Miata clutch was the easiest.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Was right near the floor for my test drive.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
During my test drive I had zero issues with the clutch or almost stalling. It felt %100 natural like I had been driving the car my entire life. The engagement point did not really jump out at me. I really do not remember where it was engaging. The clutch is way easier to drive with compared to my R8.