Test Drive unlikely before Commitment for Early depositors

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I spoke to a helpful lad in CS today, initially asking for Eletre price, to be "shocked "(actually not anymore) that this hadnt been communicated across Lotus already, especially considering the reveal was last night.... Comms.....

Anyhow, i pressed about test drives for early depositors, its not looking likely that those who are expecting a June Delivery are going to be able to test drive before committing 100% and losing that deposit , given if what we were told previously that final cut off point for cancellation is one month before delivery:

09:20 am
Hi, whats the estimated cost of the Eletre?

Welcome to Lotus Cars UK. Chat may be recorded for training and quality purposes.
Good morning Dan.
Please allow me a moment to look into this.

09:22 am
I apologise I am still enquiring with my team on this information.
I can email you once I have had an answer if your prefer?

D

its ok, i'll wait
surpised its not available to hand with the launch yesterday...

09:23 am
No problem, thank you for your patience.

09:27 am
I am sorry I did not have this to hand, the price is listed at around £100,000 however this is indicative and HQ have advised full pricing will be communicated closer to launch.

09:28 am
Is there anything else I can help you with?

D

09:30 am
are the Emira's still on track?
im down for June delivery

09:31 am
Yes we are due to commence first deliveries from June for the Emira V6 First Edition and you show as an early depositor.

D

09:33 am
are the test vehicles (demo) being delivered to dealers in May?

09:34 am
Test drives will be available from June 2022, there is a chance this may be earlier in May, we are just waiting for factory to confirm.

D

09:36 am
so i'll be locked in before test driving..... given the point of non refundable deposit is a month before.... great going lotus

09:37 am
I apologise, we haven't had the official go ahead from factory for May test drives and are pushing for this to be available prior to first deliveries completing.

D

09:39 am
Not you fault , chap. Poorly organised by the peers, early depositors should be invited to test drive before committing 100%. Thanks for the info

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's disappointing but not entirely surprising. I'd resigned myself some time ago to not being able to drive the Emira before mine arrives in June. I console myself with the thought that it will be awesome to look at and drive, and it is really exciting being one of the first to get the car. For me there is still the nagging doubt about the seats and driving position though - fingers crossed!

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It's disappointing but not entirely surprising. I'd resigned myself some time ago to not being able to drive the Emira before mine arrives in June. I console myself with the thought that it will be awesome to look at and drive, and it is really exciting being one of the first to get the car. For me there is still the nagging doubt about the seats and driving position though - fingers crossed!
Same here, in all honesty i think im just growing impatient and started looking at Ferrari's again in the meantime, meaning id like to see and feel it first before committing to the Emira which may prove less luxurious interior wise than expected.

I just dont want to think "i should have got that Ferrari" when i first sit in it, i just want to be 100% sure before i commit, i guess.

But its the risk you take, right, to be one of the first.

Im sure it will be great, just a strange concept not testing it and seeing it first before knowing you have to have it, at least with the second hand cars you can "walk away" if not 100% happy.... 1st world problems, right??
#forthemoaners

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Same here, in all honesty i think im just growing impatient and started looking at Ferrari's again in the meantime, meaning id like to see and feel it first before committing to the Emira which may prove less luxurious interior wise than expected.

I just dont want to think "i should have got that Ferrari" when i first sit in it, i just want to be 100% sure before i commit, i guess.

But its the risk you take, right, to be one of the first.

Im sure it will be great, just a strange concept not testing it and seeing it first before knowing you have to have it, at least with the second hand cars you can "walk away" if not 100% happy.... 1st world problems, right??
#forthemoaners
I had similar with the GR Yaris but had seen and heard everything I needed to just not the test drive. Toyota let me test drive and then pay a few days before due to pick up my car. I could have cancelled if id wished.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I spoke to a helpful lad in CS today, initially asking for Eletre price, to be "shocked "(actually not anymore) that this hadnt been communicated across Lotus already, especially considering the reveal was last night.... Comms.....

Anyhow, i pressed about test drives for early depositors, its not looking likely that those who are expecting a June Delivery are going to be able to test drive before committing 100% and losing that deposit , given if what we were told previously that final cut off point for cancellation is one month before delivery:

Hi, whats the estimated cost of the Eletre?

Welcome to Lotus Cars UK. Chat may be recorded for training and quality purposes.
Good morning Dan.
Please allow me a moment to look into this.

I apologise I am still enquiring with my team on this information.
I can email you once I have had an answer if your prefer?

D

its ok, i'll wait
surpised its not available to hand with the launch yesterday...

09:23 am
No problem, thank you for your patience.

09:27 am
I am sorry I did not have this to hand, the price is listed at around £100,000 however this is indicative and HQ have advised full pricing will be communicated closer to launch.

09:28 am
Is there anything else I can help you with?

D

09:30 am
are the Emira's still on track?
im down for June delivery

09:31 am
Yes we are due to commence first deliveries from June for the Emira V6 First Edition and you show as an early depositor.

D

09:33 am
are the test vehicles (demo) being delivered to dealers in May?

09:34 am
Test drives will be available from June 2022, there is a chance this may be earlier in May, we are just waiting for factory to confirm.

D

09:36 am
so i'll be locked in before test driving..... given the point of non refundable deposit is a month before.... great going lotus

09:37 am
I apologise, we haven't had the official go ahead from factory for May test drives and are pushing for this to be available prior to first deliveries completing.

D

09:39 am
Not you fault , chap. Poorly organised by the peers, early depositors should be invited to test drive before committing 100%. Thanks for the info

This is not surprising for early adopters. I never had a test drive of my Model 3, or my 4XE. Emira is not a Camry, they won’t be sitting around on lots waiting for someone to buy them. Using NA as example, if there are 40 dealers in North America and only 700 cars being sent here in the first year, it’s unrealistic to think that Lotus would commit ~6% of their first year’s production for demo cars when they will sell those cars immediately and have a multi-year wait list. They could do another road show type of thing, but that takes a lot of time and requires finished cars, and if they’re at the point of finished production cars they should start delivering.

I’d also suggest this isn’t new for a lotus buyer. I have multiple friends who bought used lotus cars without ever driving one. Not a lot of 2007 Exiges sitting around to try, and if there’s only 2-3 for sale in the whole country sometimes it isn’t feasible to fly out to drive it. In one instance, I drove a car on behalf of a buddy who was on the other side if the country, made sure it was ok and then he had it shipped.

I guess I’m just surprised by some of the expectations I see around this process. Lotus is a boutique company, and they are trying to grow rapidly. They will not have the same resources and facilities as other bigger brands. It’s part of the experience, specialness, exclusively of early adoption, both of this car model and this reborn brand. If test drives are important to you, I’d kindly suggest not buying in the first batch.

If I don’t like the car, I’ll just sell it. The economics of this car in this moment would likely mean I’d make a nice profit. But I don’t plan to do that, because I expect that I’ll love the car. I’ve driven the other cars in the Lotus stable, and they have my trust.

Last edited:
OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This is not surprising for early adopters. I never had a test drive of my Model 3, or my 4XE. Emira is not a Camry, they won’t be sitting around on lots waiting for someone to buy them. Using NA as example, if there are 40 dealers in North America and only 700 cars being sent here in the first year, it’s unrealistic to think that Lotus would commit ~6% of their first year’s production for demo cars when they will sell those cars immediately and have a multi-year wait list. They could do another road show type of thing, but that takes a lot of time and requires finished cars, and if they’re at the point of finished production cars they should start delivering.

I’d also suggest this isn’t new for a lotus buyer. I have multiple friends who bought used lotus cars without ever driving one. Not a lot of 2007 Exiges sitting around to try, and if there’s only 2-3 for sale in the whole country sometimes it isn’t feasible to fly out to drive it. In one instance, I drove a car on behalf of a buddy who was on the other side if the country, made sure it was ok and then he had it shipped.

I guess I’m just surprised by some of the expectations I see around this process. Lotus is a boutique company, and they are trying to grow rapidly. They will not have the same resources and facilities as other bigger brands. It’s part of the experience, specialness, exclusively of early adoption, both of this car model and this reborn brand. If test drives are important to you, I’d kindly suggest not buying in the first batch.

If I don’t like the car, I’ll just sell it. The economics of this car in this moment would likely mean I’d make a nice profit. But I don’t plan to do that, because I expect that I’ll love the car. I’ve driven the other cars in the Lotus stable, and they have my trust.
Valid points,

Yes - Lotus are boutique, but they've openly mentioned they are aiming to the likes of Porsche and alike - these arent boutique and have a better set up, and much better communication with clients (so i hear)

With the exiges, we knew they were raw, we know to expect the smell of glue and unfinished met door sills etc, we didnt care, but for the Emira, we have been promised a quality finish, of which we were shown an incomplete show car so far, nothing more.

First time for me buying a brand new car - so yes maybe i am too ambitious, but people investing £80k into a car should have the opportunity to see it/feel it first imo.

But yes, they are sought after, they probably couldnt care less if one customer pulled their deposit because of this, so again what i say is irrelevant and they know it.

AlexB

Reaction score
I assume that if you elect to delay by a month then you WOULD get a chance to test drive before commitment?

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I assume that if you elect to delay by a month then you WOULD get a chance to test drive before commitment?
Well this is the problem,would it only be a month if you choose not to have yours in the first delivery month?

How far back would you be pushed back?
It's all as clear as mud, currently

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Uhh… Porsche is no different… all three generations of my Boxster Spyders were ordered without test drives… only seeing them at the big auto shows in the flesh. Any new Porsche model is the same. If you snooze you loose.
Porsche are known for quality though,you'd not have any uncertainty there.

To clarify my concern- Historically Lotus have not had quality interior(which is my only hesitance ) ,so to get the car and find it still had carpet that doesn't meet the sills and still a "tinny" feeling is the only concern

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Valid points,

Yes - Lotus are boutique, but they've openly mentioned they are aiming to the likes of Porsche and alike - these arent boutique and have a better set up, and much better communication with clients (so i hear)

With the exiges, we knew they were raw, we know to expect the smell of glue and unfinished met door sills etc, we didnt care, but for the Emira, we have been promised a quality finish, of which we were shown an incomplete show car so far, nothing more.

First time for me buying a brand new car - so yes maybe i am too ambitious, but people investing £80k into a car should have the opportunity to see it/feel it first imo.

But yes, they are sought after, they probably couldnt care less if one customer pulled their deposit because of this, so again what i say is irrelevant and they know it.

I think we have to give Lotus some credit here, they did ship a couple of cars all around the world and gave most of us the opportunity to go see the car at our local dealer, touch the material and listen to the V6. That’s more than the cars I mentioned above ever did (in fact, with the Tesla some owner who took early delivery drove his own car across North America, booking times for people to drive it on Facebook and charging each person $50. 50 people showed up to the one I went to!).

I just think early adopters always have to have a little faith, it’s part of the experience. We also have to expect that things won’t be quite right. Whether it’s beta software or a brand new car, expect that there WILL be imperfections and growing pains along the way. In the land of Lotus, these things have always been chalked up as charm. I have a reasonable tolerance for this stuff, my biggest worry is mechanical failure. That’s part of the reason I would have chosen the V6 no matter what, it’s a proven drivetrain that Lotus is very familiar with. I don’t expect trouble there.

Porsche is a giant, and Lotus saying they want to compete is a statement of intent that will take a decade to realize. Companies can’t gather all of the people/management structure, real estate and technology/systems to stand this up in the space of a year.

The fact is, we didn’t sign up to buy a Porsche. I hope everyone who puts money down for one of these is clear eyed about the fact that the service network is lacking, parts will be very hard to come by if needed, dealer techs will be woefully under-trained, dealers will be a mish-mash of old and new to the brand with very inconsistent experiences, and the car will be built by processes that are brand new to Lotus. I expect bumps in the road, and my hope is that Lotus stands by their customers in the moments that matter. If you go into it expecting all of this, you’ll be much happier in the end :)

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think we have to give Lotus some credit here, they did ship a couple of cars all around the world and gave most of us the opportunity to go see the car at our local dealer, touch the material and listen to the V6. That’s more than the cars I mentioned above ever did (in fact, with the Tesla some owner who took early delivery drove his own car across North America, booking times for people to drive it on Facebook and charging each person $50. 50 people showed up to the one I went to!).

I just think early adopters always have to have a little faith, it’s part of the experience. We also have to expect that things won’t be quite right. Whether it’s beta software or a brand new car, expect that there WILL be imperfections and growing pains along the way. In the land of Lotus, these things have always been chalked up as charm. I have a reasonable tolerance for this stuff, my biggest worry is mechanical failure. That’s part of the reason I would have chosen the V6 no matter what, it’s a proven drivetrain that Lotus is very familiar with. I don’t expect trouble there.

Porsche is a giant, and Lotus saying they want to compete is a statement of intent that will take a decade to realize. Companies can’t gather all of the people/management structure, real estate and technology/systems to stand this up in the space of a year.

The fact is, we didn’t sign up to buy a Porsche. I hope everyone who puts money down for one of these is clear eyed about the fact that the service network is lacking, parts will be very hard to come by if needed, dealer techs will be woefully under-trained, dealers will be a mish-mash of old and new to the brand with very inconsistent experiences, and the car will be built by processes that are brand new to Lotus. I expect bumps in the road, and my hope is that Lotus stands by their customers in the moments that matter. If you go into it expecting all of this, you’ll be much happier in the end :)
Good Point, Bren, i can see where you are coming from to be fair.

I say all this with tongue in cheek, there is no way im backing out, i have had Lotus before and will always have them, and as you say - it could well be lacking in parts, but so do others - swings and roundabouts.

Agree with the V6 point which is also one of the reasons why i opted for it - tried and tested.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Porsche are known for quality though,you'd not have any uncertainty there.

Some GT4 owners might not agree with that :)

yjz77U9D.jpg

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Test drives a Lotus.

"That was awful."

Said no one. Ever.

It's just not gonna matter. The car is gonna be great, drive well and be an amazing experience. And if you truly don't like it (which would be pretty weird), you'll likely be able to flip quickly for next to no loss. It's a low risk situation that I don't think anyone on here should be concerned about.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Good Point, Bren, i can see where you are coming from to be fair.

I say all this with tongue in cheek, there is no way im backing out, i have had Lotus before and will always have them, and as you say - it could well be lacking in parts, but so do others - swings and roundabouts.

Agree with the V6 point which is also one of the reasons why i opted for it - tried and tested.

For what it’s worth, I have an advanced case of early adoption syndrome. I bought one of the first BMW i3s, was first in line at 2am reserving my Model 3 back in the day, upgraded it for one of the first performance models, and ordered one of the first Wrangler 4XEs. All of those cars represented a novel manufacturing process and technology for the manufacturer, and all had some sort of imperfection. Only one ever left me stranded (The Jeep) and ironically, that was the one that arrived with the best fit and finish.

No regrets on any of them, the joy of experiencing something new and novel has always outweighed the frustrations. I realize mileage may vary for other people.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Test drives a Lotus.

"That was awful."

Said no one. Ever.

It's just not gonna matter. The car is gonna be great, drive well and be an amazing experience. And if you truly don't like it (which would be pretty weird), you'll likely be able to flip quickly for next to no loss. It's a low risk situation that I don't think anyone on here should be concerned about.
Depends what car you are coming from and used to driving. As this car is purely for Fun and I don’t need it for commuting, if it doesn’t deliver I wouldn’t spend £80k. I have my concerns as hard to please after driving R8 for 3 years, everything I had test driven so far has just felt boring and not quick acceleration. My car is June so 🤞it puts a big smile on my face 🤞that I don’t feel underwhelmed. Lotus said to me we would be able to get test drive prior full commit