Super charger whine

How do you feel about super charger whine

• I love the sound of a super charger it adds to the complexity and drama of the aural experience

Votes: 73 91.3%
  • I can’t stand it give me the sound of a naturally aspirated engine

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • I love the sound of a muffled turbo instead

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How do you feel about the sound of a supercharger?
In Emira: best noticed with the driver window down a portion (or all the way). It was always pleasantly audible but as you push each gear out the growl deepens and becomes more throaty
Not in a muscle car way. More in an Indy or FI way. Like things are getting serious. It accompanies the sensory experience of the road feel. I can say a short drive begs for so much more.
The V6 is very satisfying to hear and drive.

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
"Muffled Turbo" ..... Bit pejorative dontcha think?

I guess, you are not a fan but if asking only about superchargers, why put this option?

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have a supercharged Elise and the supercharger whin is addictive. I added a cold air intake which starts in the driver side air scoop and it is like cocaine now. I find myself driving at higher RPMs just to hear that wonderful woosh and whine, to the point I am thinking I will get myself into trouble.

OP
L

LotusRising

Reaction score
"Muffled Turbo" ..... Bit pejorative dontcha think?

I guess, you are not a fan but if asking only about superchargers, why put this option?
I guess it was hard to describe the way a turbo changes the sound. Maybe it makes it more bassy(?). I’ve always thought of it as kind of muffled. I don’t dislike it. I loved it on my parents 3000 GT VR4 when I was a kid and like it on my BMW N55 engine now. It does make it sound meaner at idle I feel like. My old Saab 900 turbos always added the waste gate action which was fun to listen for. I just added it as a third option to make it more fun and apparently someone agreed.

I don’t discriminate against any ICE engine. I really love the sound of all of them to varying degrees. (except for the gas powered leaf blower on an early Saturday morning.)

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I guess it was hard to describe the way a turbo changes the sound. Maybe it makes it more bassy(?). I’ve always thought of it as kind of muffled. I don’t dislike it. I loved it on my parents 3000 GT VR4 when I was a kid and like it on my BMW N55 engine now. It does make it sound meaner at idle I feel like. My old Saab 900 turbos always added the waste gate action which was fun to listen for. I just added it as a third option to make it more fun and apparently someone agreed.

I don’t discriminate against any ICE engine. I really love the sound of all of them to varying degrees. (except for the gas powered leaf blower on an early Saturday morning.)

I'll forgive you as you were a Saab turbo driver in the past ;). I have owned many including the original 99 Turbo, 900 APC 16v, 900 (GM) plain jane turbo and late model 93 Aero. I then moved to BMW with the N54 (old 335i) and N55 (current M235i). Looking forward to the i4 as you might imagine.

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Every Hellcat owner loves the sound, and so do I
This...Hellcats have the loudest whine I've ever heard. We've literally had people thing something was wrong with the car 😂
F383699A-05CF-4212-91B6-999B4FA7CACD.jpeg

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have a supercharged Elise and the supercharger whin is addictive. I added a cold air intake which starts in the driver side air scoop and it is like cocaine now. I find myself driving at higher RPMs just to hear that wonderful woosh and whine, to the point I am thinking I will get myself into trouble.
The supercharger whine on my Elise SC was licence-losingly risky in terms of addiction! Roof off and the SC right behind your head, it was always tempting to drop a gear and put your foot down as soon as the road opened up.

In my Evora it's a bit more muted, but with 3rd cat delete and the window down it sounds great. In the Emira you hear a bit more of the SC noise via the side intake too.

alvitdk

Reaction score
Never had a supercharger, but driving the Emira in Dallas, I certainly enjoyed the whining sound...too bad the exhaust does not live up to what I was hoping, but then I also replaced my Porsche against a Soul exhaust, which makes such a difference in the driving experience. Hopefully, there will be some options rather quickly coming over the next 12 months.

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Never had a supercharger, but driving the Emira in Dallas, I certainly enjoyed the whining sound...too bad the exhaust does not live up to what I was hoping, but then I also replaced my Porsche against a Soul exhaust, which makes such a difference in the driving experience. Hopefully, there will be some options rather quickly coming over the next 12 months.
@TXEMIRA -- This guy has a weird avatar

OP
L

LotusRising

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures or videos? Is it something you’ll try to do with the Emira?

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The supercharger whine on my Elise SC was licence-losingly risky in terms of addiction! Roof off and the SC right behind your head, it was always tempting to drop a gear and put your foot down as soon as the road opened up.

In my Evora it's a bit more muted, but with 3rd cat delete and the window down it sounds great. In the Emira you hear a bit more of the SC noise via the side intake too.
You and I are so alike in this respect. It is almost too temping....

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts