Sun visor - no mirror on drivers side

Captain Chaos

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This is a small but strange quirk.... it seems that the drivers side sun visor does not have a vanity mirror on the reverse side but the passenger side does. And this is true as far as I am aware for RHD and LHD models. B&C do not know why this is the case but were willing to check for a LHD passenger visor for me when the car eventually comes.

What I would like to know is why there is no mirror....not that I am in the habit of preening myself but occasionally it is useful.
As I recall from the demo I drove the passenger mirror is covered by a sliding panel so the reason cannot be a chance of reflection intruding in the drivers vision?

Any thoughts (constructive.....) appreciated......

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It really depends on the market and ultimately the target audience. Here in the USA I found some metrics saying rightly 80% of cars came with dual vanity mirrors.

You’ll typically find that cars where men are the target audience or the car is an entry level budget compact — they might have only a passenger vanity mirrors.

For the Emira: supercar looks and predominantly male buyers, cost cutting over the Evora, Lotus lightness ethos — can’t be too surprised right?

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This is a small but strange quirk.... it seems that the drivers side sun visor does not have a vanity mirror on the reverse side but the passenger side does. And this is true as far as I am aware for RHD and LHD models. B&C do not know why this is the case but were willing to check for a LHD passenger visor for me when the car eventually comes.

What I would like to know is why there is no mirror....not that I am in the habit of preening myself but occasionally it is useful.
As I recall from the demo I drove the passenger mirror is covered by a sliding panel so the reason cannot be a chance of reflection intruding in the drivers vision?

I had to go look at my other cars. I’ve never used them, don’t think I ever flip them down. Mini, Range Rover, & Lincoln all have them. Maybe just “one of the quirks of owning a Lotus”?

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
ok, I might just be capable of a sensible comment

I've had my Emira for almost 4 weeks, done over 1k miles and never found a lack of mirror an issue. But does seem an odd omission given the marginal cost involved.

Last edited:

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
ok, I might just be capable of a sensible comment

I've had my Emira for almost 4 weeks, done over 1k miles and never found a lack of mirror an issue. Does seem an odd omission given the marginal cost involved.
Maybe vendor selection and they didn’t think it would be a big deal?

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Maybe vendor selection and they didn’t think it would be a big deal?
There's plenty in the Geely parts bin they can draw on. The wiring ducts must already be there for LHD so can't be that. In the end these and other puzzling choices all add to the mystic that is the Emira.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
There's plenty in the Geely parts bin they can draw on. The wiring ducts must already be there for LHD so can't be that. In the end these and other puzzling choices all add to the mystic that is the Emira.
Quirks like that I don’t mind. The Evora two hands and one foot start procedure - just part of the fun. Having a giant infotainment screen that you can’t touch (like Alfa or BMW) just pisses me off. At least Lotus got that and Apple CarPlay right.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably to keep costs down and they assume the driver can just use the rear view mirror if needed.

GAVLA

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Is this even a serious question?? I recently got my hands on my new Emira after waiting almost two years for it and couldn't care less about a vanity mirror :)

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
This saved 20 grams. It's in keeping with the Lotus character.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It really depends on the market and ultimately the target audience. Here in the USA I found some metrics saying rightly 80% of cars came with dual vanity mirrors.

You’ll typically find that cars where men are the target audience or the car is an entry level budget compact — they might have only a passenger vanity mirrors.

For the Emira: supercar looks and predominantly male buyers, cost cutting over the Evora, Lotus lightness ethos — can’t be too surprised right?
If you really wanted a driver's side vanity mirror you had to do Self Checkout option.

OP
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Is this even a serious question?? I recently got my hands on my new Emira after waiting almost two years for it and couldn't care less about a vanity mirror :)
Its a not very important un-serious question. And let's face it, there are plenty of those around any forum. But no-one has yet been able to answer it with any certainty......be kind. I'm new.

OP
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you really wanted a driver's side vanity mirror you had to do Self Checkout option.
Interesting.....in about a year I shall look out for that....

OP
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
sexist nonsense. Men drive with women passengers. From back at a time when Lotus had a successful F1 team
I turned up for my test drive with a Lady friend (in her Elise) and she would like a mirror. So yes, the world has moved on.....

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
sexist nonsense. Men drive with women passengers. From back at a time when Lotus had a successful F1 team
And yet I'd be willing to be 90%+ of the cars WILL be men driving with ladies in the passenger seat. This is absolutely a car targeted at the male market. It's reality, not sexism.