• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: šŸ† May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Suitable car for teenager for track and road use

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Serious question, serious answers pls. I know how I feel about it but want another very biased opinion šŸ˜ƒ. I have twin teenagers (boy/girl). My Daughter has always liked playing Forza with me ever since she was able to hold the controller. Designing the cars, unlocking stuff, etc. they drive next year. My son give zero Fā€™s about anything not related to YouTube, WW2, or Lego. My daughter mentioned that she still likes sports cars when she saw and heard an old 911 GT3 drive by on the way home from school. Honestly the thought never occurred before but I asked her if she would want a car that could drive on and off the track like the ones in Forza. Long story short, Iā€™m seriously considering dropping out of the Emira for now and buying an Elise for her. Certainly cheaper for the car but track time, gear, lessons are not cheap.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Serious question, serious answers pls. I know how I feel about it but want another very biased opinion šŸ˜ƒ. I have twin teenagers (boy/girl). My Daughter has always liked playing Forza with me ever since she was able to hold the controller. Designing the cars, unlocking stuff, etc. they drive next year. My son give zero Fā€™s about anything not related to YouTube, WW2, or Lego. My daughter mentioned that she still likes sports cars when she saw and heard an old 911 GT3 drive by on the way home from school. Honestly the thought never occurred before but I asked her if she would want a car that could drive on and off the track like the ones in Forza. Long story short, Iā€™m seriously considering dropping out of the Emira for now and buying an Elise for her. Certainly cheaper for the car but track time, gear, lessons are not cheap.
Wouldnā€™t karting be better for her and cheaper for you (relatively)?

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Wouldnā€™t karting be better for her and cheaper for you (relatively)?
You canā€™t get a driverā€™s license with a kart. I have a Land Rover HSE LUX but itā€™s a good trade instead.

Also, yes Gator- I know you have a 2006 for sale.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Teens are fickle (and over confident). She will need a safe daily driver that won't be playing tag with monster SUVs or trucks at highway speeds.
It was a concern for the Esprit at about 45 inches high. I swear I could drive under a tractor trailer. A smaller car is less noticeable. Her skills might not be in question, but we share the roads with idiots.
Tracks are something else.
Borrow/rent an Elise and see how it goes. There's a Lotus club in Dallas that was socially active .

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
No way. Mini, Mx5 or equivalent.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Miniā€¦I can definitely see a JCW. Rally racers. I actually own a mini right now but itā€™s šŸ’© for drifting.
Not for drifting. But fun an d inexpensive. I had a tuned R56 and it was a blast.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 16

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You canā€™t get a driverā€™s license with a kart. I have a Land Rover HSE LUX but itā€™s a good trade instead.

Also, yes Gator- I know you have a 2006 for sale.
Ah sorry misinterpreted thought you wanted to get her involved in motorsports.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
A second a mini choice for sure. Manual, JCW/Cooper S - really a perfect fun car for a kid into motorsports.

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ah sorry misinterpreted thought you wanted to get her involved in motorsports.
Both. I figured she can learn to drive a stick shift properly on the road and she and I can have something to bond over now that sheā€™s older. Her great grandfather my grandfather ran Indian motorcycles in WW2, my dad, was a stock car racer in the 70ā€™s. I work with IndyCar, NASCAR, and OffRoad series racing as a marketing and strategy manager. Might as well add one more to the team. But thinking maybe just a good ol fashioned Porsche 718 is a good start

OP
Hell4Leather

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Perfect fun car for an adult too! šŸ¤£
The JCW is a Definite Maybe 4 Sure but Iā€™d prefer one thatā€™s already been modified slightly for a little more flair on and off track

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Miata as an alternative to a Mini and great intro to track driving, autocross etc. Suffers from the same visibility issue on the road as an Elise. Opportunities to modify and upgrade, plenty of shops that will maintain or modify.

Lotus64

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
  • Seeing the thread title immediately conjured the GTI.
  • However reading the first post made me think BRZ.
  • But if it were my daughter, she's getting a CX5. It's safer and still drives like a hot hatch.
  • An Elise feels excessive for a teenager. Very few kids have put in the kind of work to appreciate a gift of that magnitude.
  • Where does that leave your son? Does he get half the Elise? A car of equal value? Or a buss pass?

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I offered my kids my first Porsche Boxster if the got Aā€™s in high school.
Daughter got Aā€™s Son got a Prius.
Daughter went to Cornell and Son is presently in Medical School. Daughter is going to Medical School. Teaching them to drive brought us all closer together. Amazing road trips and experiences came about because of this. Wife was completely behind the idea. Presently we have 3 Porscheā€™s and the Emira will make a great addition.
These kind of things can alter their future and your collection of memories.
I could write a book on all the positive things that transpired.
I could also write a chapter containing all the criticism of our Idea to let the kids learn to drive an earn the Porsche Boxster. Follow your heartā€¦
Donā€™t give up on your dream, just share it!!! Porscheā€™s are reliable and pretty inexpensive to run if you get a basic oneā€¦ But you get what you want!
Get the Emira and get another sports car. Maybe the car to enjoy before the Emira shows up that the kids can earn and haveā€¦