So I got to take a test drive.... :)

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I agree with @Leonard they couldn't make a competing car to the 718 GTS in the time they had. Let's be honest they were burning money and couldn't get EVs out for some time so needed a stop gap with a bit of tech evolution they had the Emira. Don't get me wrong I don't want a Porsche maybe a McLaren 570s or DB11 if the test drive of the Emira is pants.
As good as the Emira is on looks I want value for money .

ive not tested anything else yet so don't have a comparison which is good for the Emira.....

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Pretty much anything that you have to wait for and have time to build your expectations is somewhat of a letdown once you finally get possession of whatever it is. And there is a direct correlation between height of expectation and length of wait. I wish it wasn't so. It would have helped to see that test drive on a nice windy road instead of just trudging along a city street. That's not exciting in any car...:)
Honestly at this point, the best way forward is to have zero expectations. I actually ordered my M2C back in 2019 without ever even driving it (no dealers had one available on the floor, so finding one to test drive was impossible) and took my chances.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure taking delivery of the Emira will be a similar driving experience. I think if one has extremely high expectations from the get-go, then the only possibility is disappointment.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah you can compare it to the 718, but not everybody wants a Porsche. I've never been a fan or wanted one, but that's just me. Probably why I have an Alfa Romeo and an order in for an Emira.

I actually don't see the Emira as a replacement for the 3 cars they just discontinued; those are from a different era with a different purpose and mindset. I see the Emira as the first of their new era, but with the very last of the old era as a way to transition from the old to the new. The new era is style, body and interior design, quality/fit/finish, modern electronic technology and overall usability. When the ICE technology goes away, all those other things will continue.

Geely's investment wasn't to make the ultimate ICE car, but to prepare Lotus to be a very serious and viable electric car brand. With the exception of the power plant and drivetrain, everything else they're doing is going to carry over to producing electric cars. The Emira is almost like a practice run for them. Based on their history with ICE cars, I don't think anybody in the company actually expected the reaction they got with the Emira. They clearly weren't prepared for it. It probably changed their business plans more than just a little too.
Interesting perspective, I agree! I'm happy they made this one last ICE car though because when this old carnut is finally forced to hang up his keys, they will be for a good old gas-powered, manual transmission sports car. All the kids and these new EVs can just STAY OFF MY LAWN!..:)

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Honestly at this point, the best way forward is to have zero expectations. I actually ordered my M2C back in 2019 without ever even driving it (no dealers had one available on the floor, so finding one to test drive was impossible) and took my chances.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure taking delivery of the Emira will be a similar driving experience. I think if one has extremely high expectations from the get-go, then the only possibility is disappointment.
And I did the same with my M2 Comp and was disappointed 🤣
Hence why I won't buy anything unseen now.
Goes to show we are all different though!

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
And I did the same with my M2 Comp and was disappointed 🤣
Hence why I won't buy anything unseen now.
Goes to show we are all different though!
To each their own. I'm curious though - what fits your criteria for your preferences?

Based on your previous replies, it seems like you're better off with a Cayman GT4.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
To each their own. I'm curious though - what fits your criteria for your preferences?

Based on your previous replies, it seems like you're better off with a Cayman GT4.
this answer will need a new thread...... i can just see it now...... hah

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

I guess I like performance and dynamics first and foremost and everything else is secondary. Weight is also a driver and partly why the M2 disappointed.
I rarely do track days but I'm a firm believer that cars designed to operate at ten tenths reward and encourage you to keep pushing up to the limit. I don't want to keep pushing only to find the car is lacking before I am.
Saying all of that if it is not my main performance car I can find excitement and thrills in almost anything! Definitely something to be said for extracting the most performance out of something not designed to perform in any way 😅
I also think the engine and gearbox should be the main focus and everything else built around that (again M2 disappointed)
In hindsight the Emira probably wasn't for me, but I thought Lotus were building their equivalent of Toyotas GR Yaris and I didn't realise this was not the case until late in the day
So I'm invested now awaiting a test drive. I'm also willing to break my 10 year old rule not to modify any of my new cars, if it will give me the Emira that I want and think it should be.
Yes you are right GT4 be a great car for me, but I'd go for the Spyder as it looks better and the open top would tick yet another box of nice to haves. Plus its a slightly softer chassis so better on UK roads. Otherwise I'd get a 991.2 T, 991.2 GTS or 991.1 GT3 but don't really want an auto yet so GT3 is out..
That waffled on a bit, bet your glad you asked now 😅 But thanks for asking 🥰😋

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I guess I like performance and dynamics first and foremost and everything else is secondary. Weight is also a driver and partly why the M2 disappointed.
I rarely do track days but I'm a firm believer that cars designed to operate at ten tenths reward and encourage you to keep pushing up to the limit. I don't want to keep pushing only to find the car is lacking before I am.
Saying all of that if it is not my main performance car I can find excitement and thrills in almost anything! Definitely something to be said for extracting the most performance out of something not designed to perform in any way 😅
I also think the engine and gearbox should be the main focus and everything else built around that (again M2 disappointed)
In hindsight the Emira probably wasn't for me, but I thought Lotus were building their equivalent of Toyotas GR Yaris and I didn't realise this was not the case until late in the day
So I'm invested now awaiting a test drive. I'm also willing to break my 10 year old rule not to modify any of my new cars, if it will give me the Emira that I want and think it should be.
Yes you are right GT4 be a great car for me, but I'd go for the Spyder as it looks better and the open top would tick yet another box of nice to haves. Plus its a slightly softer chassis so better on UK roads. Otherwise I'd get a 991.2 T, 991.2 GTS or 991.1 GT3 but don't really want an auto yet so GT3 is out..
That waffled on a bit, bet your glad you asked now 😅 But thanks for asking 🥰😋
I can vouch, they Spyder is an amazing machine... I miss it... Hoping Emira drive's as raw or more mechanical feel, better gear ratio's... for looks I actually give it Emira... Although the Spyder is beautiful, I think the Emira looks more special. Emira will have better tech. Don't worry @Leonard as soon as I get behind the Lotus, I will let you know....haha, if you don't get there before me.

IMG_2987.jpg

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I remember watching the Emira vs Cayman video where the Cayman came out on top -- and it's a great car. But while on paper it does a lot of things better -- I'd never really get out of 2nd or 3rd gear based on the ratios they set.

I wanted an engaging car, the Emira is geared tighter and lets me row the gears. Can I give up some things to have some exclusivity, better steering feedback, stunning looks and a more engaging car? Sure I can. That's what my test drive told me.
This is what I am hoping for.

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
No it's not wrong at all. It's a car, you're not marrying anybody. It's not a GT so it's not really fair to compare it to a GT. Based on it's popularity though, it's very likely we'll see a street Emira GT but it will be based on the i4 and won't have a manual trans. That's probably going to be the one you guys who want horsepower performance are going to want.
"...one solution is to buy it, drive it a few months to see if there’s a connection and if not, flip it for equal or more..." Isn't that pretty much the same standard as marriage in today's world?...:)

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
"...one solution is to buy it, drive it a few months to see if there’s a connection and if not, flip it for equal or more..." Isn't that pretty much the same standard as marriage in today's world?...:)
Only problem is when you flip it... it's never for equal value or more.... that "car" only depreciates ... hahaha

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I can vouch, they Spyder is an amazing machine... I miss it... Hoping Emira drive's as raw or more mechanical feel, better gear ratio's... for looks I actually give it Emira... Although the Spyder is beautiful, I think the Emira looks more special. Emira will have better tech. Don't worry @Leonard as soon as I get behind the Lotus, I will let you know....haha, if you don't get there before me.

View attachment 9046
OK I'm counting on it as I will only have 30 min test drives to help me decide... 🙂
I love how the Spyder looks in GT silver? 🥰

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If that was their goal, they would have built that. The Evora was the last of that ethos; performance through lightness. The Emira is a different ethos car. The Lotus of your era has passed. I know the feeling though. The queen's passing affected me much more than I thought it would. I've been aware that my era has been passing, but with her death it felt like it's now truly passed and gone. Her stoic fortitude and sense of decorum was exemplary, and to me was symbolic of the older generation I grew up with. When her casket descended into the floor, it felt like my world/era was going with it. It was very disturbing for me to see the image of her colorful 3 dimensional casket being sealed over with a flat, 2 dimensional monochrome plate. She was much more than that.

Regardless of our lives, the next day the sun comes up, and it all continues as though we were never here. I had the same feeling when I retired. Even though I was with the company 20 years, the second I walked out the door, business continued as though I had never worked there. It's probably why I find myself much more focused on people now instead of bucket lists or other accomplishments.
Funny how our perspective and priorities change as we get older (wiser?). I thought I had shaken the sports car bug when I sold my Z06 a couple years ago but like herpes(so I've heard) it came back and bit me again. I thought I'd better make the move before the "golf carts" take over the world of driving...:)

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
though the Lotus reps will be on hand tonight so I can ask some questions around the car and that's the tentative plan... so I'll have some more details on things that folks here have asked.
Hi Shyatic,

Do you mind asking them about the car coming to other dealers? There was some talk about it being a dealer tour around the country.

I ask because my own dealer is telling me that the test drive events in Dallas and Austin are connected with a "grand opening" for a new dealership there, and not part of a US dealer tour at all. This doesn't make much sense to me, considering the enormous cost of shipping the car over from the UK and then only taking it to LOG41 and two dealer events.

Some actual info on what's happening would be very welcome if you can get it from the Lotus USA staff tonight, because I feel like I'm being gaslit. Really appreciate it if you're able to ask.

OP
S

Shyatic

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi Shyatic,

Do you mind asking them about the car coming to other dealers? There was some talk about it being a dealer tour around the country.

I ask because my own dealer is telling me that the test drive events in Dallas and Austin are connected with a "grand opening" for a new dealership there, and not part of a US dealer tour at all. This doesn't make much sense to me, considering the enormous cost of shipping the car over from the UK and then only taking it to LOG41 and two dealer events.

Some actual info on what's happening would be very welcome if you can get it from the Lotus USA staff tonight, because I feel like I'm being gaslit. Really appreciate it if you're able to ask.
I think part of that has to do with the investments being made on the dealer end, so perhaps this is the reward from the Lotus org to them for that? I don't know, but I can ask :)

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
With all the reviews, forum member test drives, and forum discussion it really appears this car has a very wide appeal.

Daily Driver
Weekend
Performance/Track
Previous Lotus Owners
New to Lotus
Budget Conscious
Love the good looks
Uniqueness
Collectible (or people who plan on keeping the car and passing it to family)

Obviously people's expectations are grounded in why they want the car. My only comment is to disagree with any talk of performance or outdated drive trains. The I4 has yet to be revealed not to mention future variants. Any talk of performance has to have an asterisk. A 440HP I4 would invalidate a lot of forum perspectives.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
With all the reviews, forum member test drives, and forum discussion it really appears this car has a very wide appeal.

Daily Driver
Weekend
Performance/Track
Previous Lotus Owners
New to Lotus
Budget Conscious
Love the good looks
Uniqueness
Collectible (or people who plan on keeping the car and passing it to family)

Obviously people's expectations are grounded in why they want the car. My only comment is to disagree with any talk of performance or outdated drive trains. The I4 has yet to be revealed not to mention future variants. Any talk of performance has to have an asterisk. A 440HP I4 would invalidate a lot of forum perspectives.
I can't wait for the i4 to be delivered!!!

I will be in my Jetson One by then!

Jetson Pilot.jpg