Screenshot_20230625-101154_YouTube.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 44

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
It was a great day of racing with lots of records broken!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I watched the whole 2nd half. Great racing all around. Really tough for the competitors that had on-course incidents or mechanical failures, but very glad there were no injuries or other significant incidents. A clean year is a good year.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was watching on and off from my residence in Tokyo. I watched up to the point when the Radford started. (Then the video feed switched to focus on other cars like the Randy Pobst Tesla. I can see above that at some point the Radford’s time ranked 8th in the total. However I haven been able to find out what it’s actual time was? And also I do not find the final ranking of the Radford after the race was over. Can someone help me retrieve this information?

Last edited:
OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The TV coverage was more chatting than video of the racing.

Here’s Tanner’s onboard video from his run, winning the Exhibition class and 8th overall - not bad for a modified Exige!

frazzer

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I drove up Pikes Peak a few years ago, it's just outside Colorado Springs where I was for a work conference. Seem to remeber the speed limit is only 40mph! Spotted a frustrated Vantage V12 on the way up. Unfortunately the top section was closed due to snow, I think it was October.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
The TV coverage was more chatting than video of the racing.

Here’s Tanner’s onboard video from his run, winning the Exhibition class and 8th overall - not bad for a modified Exige!

So awesome! I set the Exhibition record in 2012 with a 10:40 and he smashed that by over a minute! I would love to see and hear that car in person.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You’re a man of many talents, that’s very impressive!

I’m hoping Radford might bring the car to Festival of Speed in a few weeks time. Jenson had to drop out of Pikes Peak due to other commitments (Le Mans) but I bet he’d love to blast it up the hill at Goodwood. The Radford won the Public Favourite Supercar vote at FOS last year.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
You’re a man of many talents, that’s very impressive!

I’m hoping Radford might bring the car to Festival of Speed in a few weeks time. Jenson had to drop out of Pikes Peak due to other commitments (Le Mans) but I bet he’d love to blast it up the hill at Goodwood. The Radford won the Public Favourite Supercar vote at FOS last year.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's there! Since it performed so well at Pikes Peak I bet they are itching to lay down a solid time at Goodwood as well.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Full run by Robin Shute for the overall win, 8:40 time. 🤯

Watching this bends my brain, it looks like it's on fast forward.

The fact that he was able to turn an 8:40 with several corners completely and utterly blown by a dodgy shifter (stuck in 4th rather than going down to 2nd) just absolutely blows my mind. He probably had another 10+ seconds in the car, if it had cooperated. Maybe more.

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
However, the most amazing Pikes Peak story of 2023 really was about Raphael Astier in the Alpine GT4 Evo catching 3rd place overall in a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder tuned to about 500 hp (the lowest of its class). But the ultra lightweight build of the car at 2,094-pound (950 kg) made it fast enough to become third overall at the time 9:17.412. I think Colin Chapman would have applauded this particular feat.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Full run by Robin Shute for the overall win, 8:40 time. 🤯

Watching this bends my brain, it looks like it's on fast forward.

The fact that he was able to turn an 8:40 with several corners completely and utterly blown by a dodgy shifter (stuck in 4th rather than going down to 2nd) just absolutely blows my mind. He probably had another 10+ seconds in the car, if it had cooperated. Maybe more.
Absolutely mental! Makes me wish I had put a rear camera on my runs so I could see the effects of the aero, I think I only had them forward facing on my cars with wings. The first two years on the dirt I had some rear camera shots.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
However, the most amazing Pikes Peaks story of 2023 really was about Raphael Astier in the Alpine GT4 Evo catching 3rd place overall in a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder tuned to about 500 hp (the lowest of its class). But the ultra lightweight build of the car at 2,094-pound (950 kg) made it fast enough to become third overall at the time 9:17.412. I think Colin Chapman would have applauded this particular feat.
I think you might be right! The first time at Pikes Peak for a new car with this result is outstanding!

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
However, the most amazing Pikes Peak story of 2023 really was about Raphael Astier in the Alpine GT4 Evo catching 3rd place overall in a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder tuned to about 500 hp (the lowest of its class). But the ultra lightweight build of the car at 2,094-pound (950 kg) made it fast enough to become third overall at the time 9:17.412. I think Colin Chapman would have applauded this particular feat.
Just watched the video from his run, just mental. This guy is serious! 😎

Who is this guy Raphael Astier, where does he race? He is ace. 👍🏻

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Just watched the video from his run, just mental. This guy is serious! 😎

Who is this guy Raphael Astier, where does he race? He is ace. 👍🏻
I like his driving style! He used ALL the road and that's how I used to like to attack it. :cool:

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I like his driving style! He used ALL the road and that's how I used to like to attack it. :cool:
He actually reminds me a bit of Ari Vatanen with the smoothness of his inputs, combined with using the whole road in lovely long arcs at an absolutely mental pace. What a great driver, I'm going to watch this guy's career with interest.