Race to the first i4

Do anyone know how many I4 in total that has arrived in China so far? I assume there are now regular shipments each month. I continue to be very curious about the experiences you have with your I4 cars. I hope that the initial problems have been sorted out, and that recently arriving cars are largely trouble-free. I have been told that my own i4 (for Japan delivery) will be built in January 2024, and this is a part of batch number one of i4s for Japan. (This includes a car for homologation of i4 for Japan.)

Regarding i4 issues reported by reviewers in the UK and USA, the most interesting subject is the delays when shifting manually using the paddles. Supposedly this is being fixed, but there are still no reports confirming that it has been eliminated (or reduced) yet.

Wish that you get a truly perfect & enjoyable car, lynchy73
Not sure about quantities of I4 that have already arrived. It doesn’t seem like there are large numbers of I4 yet. I think only one I4 delivered has been delivered from my local Lotus dealer. There are lots of orphaned I4 I heard where customers backed out.

I’ll be sure to report my impressions once I get my car. Hopefully I’ll be on the road by the end of Jan 24. I could have been in an orphaned car, and had officially switched, with the car delivered to the dealer (last week). I ended up regretting the change and successfully managed to reinstate my original order.

Called and canceled Tuesday after confirming that my I4 order was pushed out to sometime in 2025. SA said he'd contact accounting to process my depost refund. It'll be interesting to see how long they make me wait for that. Lotus cars are exciting, Lotus as a manufacturer is a POS. Hope they did me a favor in the long run by not having to cope with the QC issues I was dreading.
Did your dealer have you lock in with a build code, etc.? That's the part that got me - excited texts requesting the build code, screen shots of Lotus accepting the order with promises of Feb. '24 delivery, but never receiving the email with build/delivery months ("you'll get that after Oct. 20th, that's when they close the order books - 20th of the month")...Then the dropping of the shoe, 2025, no refunds, etc.. Seems like bait and switch to me..

Surprised that someone is going to bat for you on a refund..Good Luck..

Did your dealer have you lock in with a build code, etc.? That's the part that got me - excited texts requesting the build code, screen shots of Lotus accepting the order with promises of Feb. '24 delivery, but never receiving the email with build/delivery months ("you'll get that after Oct. 20th, that's when they close the order books - 20th of the month")...Then the dropping of the shoe, 2025, no refunds, etc.. Seems like bait and switch to me..

Surprised that someone is going to bat for you on a refund..Good Luck..
Yes I was told I had 3 days in August to submit my specs. I was promised a December 2023 build and 1st quarter delivery. I thought that's good it'll give Lotus time to fix the issues with the I4 before delivery in the Spring.....then the inexplicable delay until 2025! Totally inexcusable. We'll see how difficult it will be to get my deposit back.

Not sure about quantities of I4 that have already arrived. It doesn’t seem like there are large numbers of I4 yet. I think only one I4 delivered has been delivered from my local Lotus dealer. There are lots of orphaned I4 I heard where customers backed out.

Thanks 🙏 for telling us forum members about this situation. However if there are lots of orphaned I4 at the same time as Lotus Cars are shipping more of them to China, one would believe that even the orphaned ones are finding new owners.

It will probably depend on how well Lotus Cars along with the Chinese Lotus distribution operation is capable of taking care of early problems with the i4 model. It would be better for everyone if all i4 cars present in China are brought up to spec and become reliable and reach their full intended performance.

Last edited:
Thanks 🙏 for telling us forum members about this situation. However if there are lots of orphaned I4 at the same time as Lotus Cars are shipping more of them to China, one would believe that even the orphaned ones are finding new owners.

It will probably depend on how well Lotus Cars along with the Chinese Lotus distribution operation is capable of taking care of early problems with the i4 model. It would be better for everyone if all i4 cars present in China are brought up to spec and become reliable and reach their full intended performance.
When I say orphaned cars I mean deposit holders are not following through with the purchase after cars arrive.

In China, as in other markets customers are not required to make any additional financial commitment when the car goes into production or ships. Chinese buyers pay circa 3000USD deposit (non refundable) and no more prior to the car arriving at the dealer. Circumstances have changed and people may have changed their minds during that long delay. I don’t believe cars are being handed back due to issues.

When I say orphaned cars I mean deposit holders are not following through with the purchase after cars arrive.

In China, as in other markets customers are not required to make any additional financial commitment when the car goes into production or ships. Chinese buyers pay circa 3000USD deposit (non refundable) and no more prior to the car arriving at the dealer. Circumstances have changed and people may have changed their minds during that long delay. I don’t believe cars are being handed back due to issues.

Thanks again lynchy73. Your clear explanations really help understanding what the conditions are like in China, so you are being incredibly helpful. As we are all aware of, the economic conditions in the world are changing right now, and while we Lotus-fans have been patiently waiting for our Emira (whether V6 or i4) to appear, the economic conditions around us have been altered, so the ability and appropriateness of investing in the sportscar finally arriving may have changed.

I still hope that enough Lotus-fans in China and elsewhere still have the opportunity to purchase the relatively few (in a total car market sense) Emira i4 and V6 that Lotus Cars, Heathel, UK is manufacturing and delivering.

I am sure that your car arriving in January 2024 will be great.

Thanks again lynchy73. Your clear explanations really help understanding what the conditions are like in China, so you are being incredibly helpful. As we are all aware of, the economic conditions in the world are changing right now, and while we Lotus-fans have been patiently waiting for our Emira (whether V6 or i4) to appear, the economic conditions around us have been altered, so the ability and appropriateness of investing in the sportscar finally arriving may have changed.

I still hope that enough Lotus-fans in China and elsewhere still have the opportunity to purchase the relatively few (in a total car market sense) Emira i4 and V6 that Lotus Cars, Heathel, UK is manufacturing and delivering.

I am sure that your car arriving in January 2024 will be great.
Soooo, something came up and I’ve switched from my Magma I4 to a Nimbus I4 that became available. It’s locked and will be transferred from Shanghai probably tomorrow.

i should be in my Nimbus I4 Emira in time for my 50th Birthday next Saturday :cool: :) that was always my hope but it wasn’t looking like it would happen until Lotus reached out to me this morning.

The below are not my car, but externally it’s the same Nimbus, diamond cut, yellow callipers, full black pack. My car has Tan Leather. this V6 nimbus car just happened to be at my dealer this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_5007.jpeg
    IMG_5007.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5006.jpeg
    IMG_5006.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 63
Soooo, something came up and I’ve switched from my Magma I4 to a Nimbus I4 that became available. It’s locked and will be transferred from Shanghai probably tomorrow.

i should be in my Nimbus I4 Emira in time for my 50th Birthday next Saturday :cool: :) that was always my hope but it wasn’t looking like it would happen until Lotus reached out to me this morning.

The below are not my car, but externally it’s the same Nimbus, diamond cut, yellow callipers, full black pack. My car has Tan Leather. this V6 nimbus car just happened to be at my dealer this morning.

Congratulations lynchy73

Great way to celebrate your 50th

Nimbus with tan interior rocks

A very beautiful & attractive combination

Congratulations lynchy73

Great way to celebrate your 50th

Nimbus with tan interior rocks

A very beautiful & attractive combination
no arguments from me (y)

I’m having a test drive in an I4 tomorrow. i will report back with my impressions/opinions. Should be in my new Nimbus car very soon
🤞

Great spec 👌🏼 choice you’ll not be disappointed

Maybe something big, maybe a typographical error, but the VIN decoder just published by NHTSA for the US market indicates that the AMG M139 will have 400HP for the US market. If the US does get the 400HP version, it would make sense for the same to be true of other regions. Maybe this is the cause for the delays?

1701709120016.png

Last edited:
Maybe something big, maybe a typographical error, but the VIN decoder just published by NHTSA for the US market indicates that the AMG M139 will have 400HP for the US market. If the US does get the 400HP version, it would make sense for the same to be true of other regions. Maybe this is the cause for the delays?

View attachment 34026
I was always thinking that it would not be logical to produce 2 different I4 engine configuration since the Asian market are getting the 400hp version. Looks like it's another thing that Lotus is trying to keep under wrap so not to affect V6 sales. If this is true, I wonder what those with a deposit on the V6 auto will think?

Last edited:
I was always thinking that it would not be logical to produce 2 different I4 engine configuration since the Asian market are getting the 400hp version. Looks like it's any thing that Lotus is trying to keep under wrap so not to affect V6 sales. If this is true, I wonder what those with a deposit on the V6 auto will think?
I don't want to spoil the party, but power, emissions restrictions and taxes are very different in China versus ROW. I have heard that in several EU countries you pay taxes according to power, you can't increase 10K the price over the buyer... In the end the engine is the same, it's the power plant configuration that changes.

Sounds like a supply problem with AMG engines to me

I don't want to spoil the party, but power, emissions restrictions and taxes are very different in China versus ROW. I have heard that in several EU countries you pay taxes according to power, you can't increase 10K the price over the buyer... In the end the engine is the same, it's the power plant configuration that changes.

Sounds like a supply problem with AMG engines to me

I would also like to add that taking into account the history of disappointments... I'm more afraid of Lotus' news, than I am of my company's.

View attachment 34026
Used a VIN from V6 and changed the engine code from A to M then ran the VIN decoder. Seems like the db hasn't been fully updated yet(check engine displacement and Manufacturer) .
However, maybe Lotus reads this thread , maybe we should all petition for a AMG 400 HP engine for the US market ; 0-60 in 3.99 seconds :)

Series:
Trim: First Edition
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating:
Drive Type:
Cylinders: 4
Primary Fuel Type: Gasoline
Electrification Level:
Secondary Fuel Type:
Engine Model: AMG 139
Engine Brake (HP): 399.624513
Engine Manufacturer: Toyota
Transmission Speed:
Transmission Style:
Engine Displacement (L): 3.5

Used a VIN from V6 and changed the engine code from A to M then ran the VIN decoder. Seems like the db hasn't been fully updated yet(check engine displacement and Manufacturer) .
However, maybe Lotus reads this thread , maybe we should all petition for a AMG 400 HP engine for the US market ; 0-60 in 3.99 seconds :)

Series:
Trim: First Edition
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating:
Drive Type:
Cylinders: 4
Primary Fuel Type: Gasoline
Electrification Level:
Secondary Fuel Type:
Engine Model: AMG 139
Engine Brake (HP): 399.624513
Engine Manufacturer: Toyota
Transmission Speed:
Transmission Style:
Engine Displacement (L): 3.5

What happened to the missing 0.375487 hp?

BTW: it is not true that “all Asian markets gets 400 hp (or 298 kW). For example here in Japan we are only promised something like 365 hp (the 5 hp extra is again because of alternative calculation/convertion methods).

However, if nobody complains about getting ‘too many horses’, I would not be surprised if Lotus produce all i4 identically, but simply deliver slightly different paperwork according to market. This has been known to be done in the past by Japanese car manufacturers high-output models that were limited by a “self-restraint clause” that limited power output to 280 hp. But reality was that the engines were measurably more powerful. This has also seen by some European manufacturers like BMW.

It is not known to me that taxes in any European country are determined by horsepower or kilowatt output. (There was a time when this was going on.) These days taxes for ICE cars are mostly determined by emissions (CO2).

I am in line for an i4 FE in Japan, and it looks like our cars will be built in January and delivered shortly after. Homologation for Japan will still take time, and delivery to customers will be 2 - 3 months later.

Despite rumors on constraints in parts supplies for manufacturing i4 at Lotus Cars; the i4 model is in production, as verified by several sources, and it is being delivered (only) to markets that are not dependent on EU or USA (CARB etc) homologation.

It could be that Lotus is constraining the manufacturing of i4 because they have to produce a lot of V6 Manual cars to the USaa, and also more i4 to China (that is a main market for this model). But other markets like Japan, and possibly Singapore and Australia are also lined up to get (some) i4 supply.

You can draw your own conclusions what is causing delays of i4 (in the UK, in Europe, in USA/North America), but I have written about this several times. Just look at my earlier postings.

I am not claiming to have insider information, but I have my own way of interpreting the various bits and pieces of information that I have gotten hold of. Some of it is anonymous, so sources cannot be revealed, and other parts are in the public domain.

What happened to the missing 0.375487 hp?

BTW: it is not true that “all Asian markets gets 400 hp (or 298 kW). For example here in Japan we are only promised something like 365 hp (the 5 hp extra is again because of alternative calculation/convertion methods).

However, if nobody complains about getting ‘too many horses’, I would not be surprised if Lotus produce all i4 identically, but simply deliver slightly different paperwork according to market. This has been known to be done in the past by Japanese car manufacturers high-output models that were limited by a “self-restraint clause” that limited power output to 280 hp. But reality was that the engines were measurably more powerful. This has also seen by some European manufacturers like BMW.

It is not known to me that taxes in any European country are determined by horsepower or kilowatt output. (There was a time when this was going on.) These days taxes for ICE cars are mostly determined by emissions (CO2).

I am in line for an i4 FE in Japan, and it looks like our cars will be built in January and delivered shortly after. Homologation for Japan will still take time, and delivery to customers will be 2 - 3 months later.

Despite rumors on constraints in parts supplies for manufacturing i4 at Lotus Cars; the i4 model is in production, as verified by several sources, and it is being delivered (only) to markets that are not dependent on EU or USA (CARB etc) homologation.

It could be that Lotus is constraining the manufacturing of i4 because they have to produce a lot of V6 Manual cars to the USaa, and also more i4 to China (that is a main market for this model). But other markets like Japan, and possibly Singapore and Australia are also lined up to get (some) i4 supply.

You can draw your own conclusions what is causing delays of i4 (in the UK, in Europe, in USA/North America), but I have written about this several times. Just look at my earlier postings.

I am not claiming to have insider information, but I have my own way of interpreting the various bits and pieces of information that I have gotten hold of. Some of it is anonymous, so sources cannot be revealed, and other parts are in the public domain.

[SIZE=3]Tokion[/SIZE] looks like you'll have an i4 way ahead of anyone in US. Look forward to hearing about the DCT and power out. Do you have Draggy performance meter, would be nice to see real world 0-60 times. Sorry for bold this forum interface isn't the best...

congrats!

congrats!
it’s arrived at the dealer. will be going for PPF tomorrow. what a stunning looking car and loving the Nimbus with BP over Tan :love: :cool:

I was always hoping I’d get it for my Birthday and it came through 🥳

The non BP Nimbus with chrome wheels is the I4 Demo car that was crashed and has now been repaired.

Attachments

• IMG_5031.jpeg
    IMG_5031.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5030.jpeg
    IMG_5030.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5033.jpeg
    IMG_5033.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg