Race to the first i4

US dealers had a meeting today. Per @GatorMotorsport in the USA delivery thread
Wow - and I thought we got it bad in the UK. This is so late to the party that the party ended and the venue got redeveloped.

I'm caught in this mess as I originally expect mine in Jun/Jul 24 just as the lease on my RS5 ends. Now. I'll probably have to buy it off at lease end and then decide if I want to keep it or trade it in when the I4 finally arrives. I wonder what's the supply chain as I4 have been heading to China for the last month or so. The only major difference between the I4 and V6 is the powertrain so is AMG having a delivery problem?

US dealers had a meeting today. Per @GatorMotorsport in the USA delivery thread:

Turbo I4—
  • Supply chain constraints have caused a production delay for Turbo I4 Emira. These orders are now expected to arrive at the beginning of 2025.
  • U.S. homologation for I4 Emira will be completed in late 2024, with customer deliveries beginning in early 2025.
  • A fleet of I4 demonstrator vehicles has been ordered and is expected to arrive in Q1/Q2 of 2024. We will invite all our reservation holders once a test drive opportunity becomes available!
Not sure how much of this applies to non-NA deliveries.

Well everyone, I think we can all blame this on me.

Deposited July 2022 for an i4. knowing my financial situation wouldn't materialize until late 2024/early 2025 (wife goes back to work). I assumed my build date would come and I'd have to let people keep passing me in line, but love the Emira so much I figured might as well put down a deposit. Now here were are.

People are dropping out for sure. When I deposited at Galpin, I was told I'd miss an i4 FE allocation. I was then offered one a few months ago. Had to pass because I don't have all the funds yet and I'm planning on a base to hopefully reduce the price a little.

At least we didn't put down $250k for a Tesla roadster 6 years ago I suppose.

Has anyone cancelled after the telephone calls last week? I've sent an email on Friday and it's been nearly a week not a squeak from Lotus. It was bad enough when trying to confirm my spec and pay the 2nd deposit let alone trying to get money back now I guess....

Has anyone cancelled after the telephone calls last week? I've sent an email on Friday and it's been nearly a week not a squeak from Lotus. It was bad enough when trying to confirm my spec and pay the 2nd deposit let alone trying to get money back now I guess....
I'm not cancelling but I haven't even had the call from Lotus yet!

Has anyone cancelled
I've not cancelled as, despite everything, I still want one :sneaky:

I guess I'm in a fortunate position that I don't need a second car right now so I can afford to sit it out. I'll also have a bit more cash put away to pay for it.

the call from Lotus

I feel sorry for the CS team. They have to read a script and then try to answer a series of frustrated questions whilst seemingly not armed with any concise or helpful information.

I'm similar, the delay is frustrating but I still want the car!
I feel sorry for the CS team. They have to read a script and then try to answer a series of frustrated questions whilst seemingly not armed with any concise or helpful information.
Indeed, it really is a thankless task for them, they're not responsible for the situation but they're the ones having to deal with a lot of frustrated customers. I certainly have no intention of making their life any more difficult when the call finally comes through.

Had the call Thursday and told them I wished to cancel. Not heard anything since! Tomorrow is chase day!!

I cancelled and immediately purchased a very slightly used V6.
I send the request for refund over a week ago, chased twice on live chat and both times they said I would have an email confirmation.
Finally got the email for my Eletra order 🙈
Second email just came through with the correct Emira details.
Now to wait and see how long the actual refunds take.

Today November 30 I talked to my Lotus salesman where I live (away from UK, EU, USA) and got the update that the Lotus build of my i4 is roughly 2 months delayed. It will now be built in early January 2024 instead off November 2023. I still steadfastedly continue to believe in that the i4 First Edition, that I selected in July 2021, is going to be a very special car worth waiting a bit extra for.

So instead of bailing out and desperately attempting to switch to a V6 Automatic (that I am scheduled to get to borrow for a slightly longer test ride in the near future), I will simply keep on waiting for my ordered and specified i4 (locked in with a 10% downpayment) until it appears. I have reason to believe that it will not get further delayed in the market where I am.

I hope this post is taken to be a positive “love song” to i4, and it should NOT be taken as criticism of those who switched to V6 Automatic. I have understood that the latter can be a good solution for many, and also that it is a surprisingly excellent car that many will enjoy.

I believe the following review description of the Emira i4 is the most accurate. It focuses on the difference in character between the two models/versions V6 and i4.

Last edited:
will now be built in early January 2024
If this is accurate then it disproves the assertion by Lotus that global supply chain issues are the reason. The issue must be either type approval for only some countries (including UK) or more worryingly, a decision to fulfill overseas ahead of UK orders?

If this is accurate then it disproves the assertion by Lotus that global supply chain issues are the reason. The issue must be either type approval for only some countries (including UK) or more worryingly, a decision to fulfill overseas ahead of UK orders?

Every information I have is that the i4 (First Edition) continues to be in production for those markets that are able to receive it, and locally homologate it, without prior EU approval. I have heard a rumor that the issues of delays and late deliveries in Europe (including UK) may be related to the lack of, or delay of, final approval of the i4 model in Europe. But don’t take my word for this. I can only speculate that this explanation makes sense. I think someone at Lotus Cars (Hethel) must come forward to tell European (including UK) customers what is actually going on with the i4.

Glad you got some good news at least. We shall appoint you as our official in-house reviewer when the time comes ;)

I cancelled and immediately purchased a very slightly used V6.
I send the request for refund over a week ago, chased twice on live chat and both times they said I would have an email confirmation.
Finally got the email for my Eletra order 🙈
Second email just came through with the correct Emira details.
Now to wait and see how long the actual refunds take.
I cancelled on 2nd Nov. Chased the refund on 17th Nov. Chased again today to be told it will be processed tomorrow and should be back on my card between tomorrow and Tuesday. That will be well over four weeks since the confirmation email agreeing to the refund. I'm sure its incompetence rather than malicious but its not the way a direct sales company should work if it hopes to sell high value cars. I've been treated like royalty with the Emira replacement purchase.

I guess I'm in a fortunate position that I don't need a second car right now so I can afford to sit it out. I'll also have a bit more cash put away to pay for it.

Snap - exactly same thoughts/ position

Had the call Thursday and told them I wished to cancel. Not heard anything since! Tomorrow is chase day!!
Called and canceled Tuesday after confirming that my I4 order was pushed out to sometime in 2025. SA said he'd contact accounting to process my depost refund. It'll be interesting to see how long they make me wait for that. Lotus cars are exciting, Lotus as a manufacturer is a POS. Hope they did me a favor in the long run by not having to cope with the QC issues I was dreading.

Did they give you the VIN?
No, but I didn’t ask for it either. I’m pretty sure it’s as they state. Been informed the same information from several sources.

My Magma I4 is on the boat. Arriving in 2 weeks into Shanghai Port. Should receive it mid to late January.

Do anyone know how many I4 in total that has arrived in China so far? I assume there are now regular shipments each month. I continue to be very curious about the experiences you have with your I4 cars. I hope that the initial problems have been sorted out, and that recently arriving cars are largely trouble-free. I have been told that my own i4 (for Japan delivery) will be built in January 2024, and this is a part of batch number one of i4s for Japan. (This includes a car for homologation of i4 for Japan.)

Regarding i4 issues reported by reviewers in the UK and USA, the most interesting subject is the delays when shifting manually using the paddles. Supposedly this is being fixed, but there are still no reports confirming that it has been eliminated (or reduced) yet.

Wish that you get a truly perfect & enjoyable car, lynchy73