Oil Pan baffles

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does anyone know if the 2GR-FE in the Emira will have a baffled oil pan? I don't have immediate plans to track it, but am curious as to what feedback from previous models have gone into the design.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I seriously doubt it.

If the Evora is anything to go by, Lotus do minimal changes to the Toyota crate engine beyond bolting on a supercharger. They could change the oil pan but I suspect the time/cost associated with doing so as well as risk of it leaking if not done right by an apprentice on Friday afternoon is too great.

Don't think any GT 430 models had baffled pans either. Perhaps the GT4 will but that's a whole different bespoke car and price point.

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for the insight. I had read somewhere about an upgraded red colored oil pan sold by Lotus, but it could have been a one-off option. Guess the Emira will come with a stock Toyota oil pan.
Maybe I should paint it yellow to match my calipers...

Duncx

Reaction score
A well trodden path by Lotus - the Exige 390, 410, 430, all have a baffled sump as standard so clearly they consider it as a necessity for track use - and they descibe the Emira Sports suspension as suited to track use - hmmm? I'm not suggesting that the Sports suspension comes with a baffled sump, more that it wouldn't surprise me if they all do, it's certainly possible.
As an aside, the Lotus baffled sump fitted to the Exige is a bit of a nuisance, the 'baffles' are made of rubber and are supposed to be replaced every two years, at a cost of £400 extra on the annual service :(

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for the info! I'm going with the Sports setup, so maybe???
As an aside, the Lotus baffled sump fitted to the Exige is a bit of a nuisance, the 'baffles' are made of rubber and are supposed to be replaced every two years, at a cost of £400 extra on the annual service :(
Hmm. There must be a reason to choose a non-metal material. To force regular maintenance, perhaps?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for the info! I'm going with the Sports setup, so maybe???

Hmm. There must be a reason to choose a non-metal material. To force regular maintenance, perhaps?
Probably to avoid the cost of having to make a new oil pan. Is the Toyota pan cast aluminum or stamped sheet metal? A cast one would be the cheaper one to make, but it would still require making a pan, then making the mould from it, and having them cast, and go through the clean-up process on the casting before they could be used. That all adds cost to a part they already have included with the engine from Toyota.

That's the kind of thing Lotus of the past just wouldn't have the budget for, but today's new Lotus may just be able to do it. Maybe something the bespoke division would produce as an accessory?

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks.
Is the Toyota pan cast aluminum or stamped sheet metal?
Looking at pictures of various 2GR-FE undersides, it seems the stock pan from Toyota is stamped and painted steel, not an ideal base to weld baffles onto. One more Bespoke Division item to look forward to!

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
the real question you should be asking yourself is: does it really need additional baffling?

Not all engine designs require additional baffleing in normal track conditions. Your Emira will have a 3 year warranty to find that out :p

If you run stock tires and hve oil starvation issues on track, that would be pretty weak from lotus since they seem to do extensive track testing...

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would imagine the bespoke advanced performance division will have parts and accessories for actual racing teams, in addition to weekend street warriors. There might be some tasty stuff coming out.

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
the real question you should be asking yourself is: does it really need additional baffling?
Yes, all too true! My city driving won't need baffling, and the factory tires are already too good for daily use. It's more the feeling of having that piece of equipment, not necessarily using it. But hey, who knows what new tricks I learn during the 3 year warranty period ;)

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would imagine the bespoke advanced performance division will have parts and accessories for actual racing teams, in addition to weekend street warriors. There might be some tasty stuff coming out.
Billet oil pans anodized in each FE color... Great stuff that nobody gets to see, like my underwear.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I find it difficult to imagine Lotus selling a car with track-focused suspension and Michelin Cup 2s and not have baffles in the oil pan. BMW is having issues with some completely stock vehicles that don't have track tires (M235i/M240i for example) so surely they have thought through this.

C8 Vette uses dry sump for exactly this reason.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

Not all engine designs require additional baffleing in normal track conditions. Your Emira will have a 3 year warranty to find that out :p

If you run stock tires and hve oil starvation issues on track, that would be pretty weak from lotus since they seem to do extensive track testing...

Until they void your warranty for tracking it.

"Uh.. sorry, our ECU scan shows lateral Gs that are outside of our normal driving parameters, therefore the starvation of oil is a result of abuse by the customer and we will not be covering this repair."

p.rob

Emira Fan
Reaction score
well we could go on and on about that. But if you track a stock car with stock tires, I hardly see how this could happen...

Lotus models are designed as road going sports cars. It is recognised that owners may wish to use their cars occasionally on closed circuits or private test track in order to experience the car’s full range of dynamic capabilities and indeed the specification of some models has been optimised for such activities. Lotus is pleased to maintain vehicle warranty coverage for any reasonable use in this manner, however if the car is used in competitive events including timed laps or runs or on a commercial basis, or if we feel the product has been abused or misused, Lotus will invalidate the warranty.

OP
virtualmacho

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah, I don't think anyone who races a car will care about the warranty of the stock vehicle. Many many other modifications would be in place to void it anyway. I don't think the occasional Sunday track meet or Lotus hosted track event would constitute an "abuse" or "misuse" of the car.
Which got me thinking: what happens if you park your car sideways on a hill?

Gadzooks

Reaction score
Just for completeness, Only the Evora GT430 had a baffled oil sump (most power, aero and widest tyres of the Evora range). My Evora Sport 410 doesn’t have one and it hasn’t had any problems on track. Can’t see this being a problem in a standard Emira