Official Emira site updated featuring Hethel Yellow media

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
There's simply nothing like it at its price point, and that's why it's getting so much attention, not because its performance blows everything else off the road. It's a good, solid performer with great looks at a very attractive price.
But there is...
If anyone mentions again how good the Lotus looks, so it really doesn't matter about any other short comings, I may just jump... (don't say it on purpose thats cruel 💔 lol)

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Seats, more complex suspension, supercharger, wider chassis?
The GTS has most of these.

It’s got adaptive suspension (more complex than the passive lotus).

It’s also made of steel which the lotus fans will conveniently forget to mention….

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah, with Alfa you got the monocoque and nothing more. Not even an engine. Great package as well 👍🏻
The point was needing to pay 50 / 70K extra for a carbon monocoque, changing the frame of the conversation because that wasn’t true is sly but doesn’t change that you don’t.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The GTS has most of these.

It’s got adaptive suspension (more complex than the passive lotus).

It’s also made of steel which the lotus fans will conveniently forget to mention….
the cayman gts has many aluminium panels, boot, bonnet and doors if I recall from trying to attach the door protectors via magnets to them haha.
It would seem to me that the 911 or 718 packaging is just much better than most cars, it gives them 2 luggage spaces which are amazing.....
If lotus could start from scratch they would probably change their fundamental design, but this car was never going to do that for the 5-6 odd years it lasts. However, if they knew the sales numbers would be so high, they may have done just that...

Too late now, it is what it is

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
the cayman gts has many aluminium panels, boot, bonnet and doors if I recall from trying to attach the door protectors via magnets to them haha.
It would seem to me that the 911 or 718 packaging is just much better than most cars, it gives them 2 luggage spaces which are amazing.....
If lotus could start from scratch they would probably change their fundamental design, but this car was never going to do that for the 5-6 odd years it lasts. However, if they knew the sales numbers would be so high, they may have done just that...

Too late now, it is what it is
Exactly.

The Emira chassis is bonded / extruded aluminium with composite panels (though I’ve read the rear subframe is steel on the V6)…so should still in theory be lighter.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I know everyone is worried about supply chain issues, so perhaps they need to spell out everything that is included.

What next? "Comes with four wheels and tyres"? (everyone knows there isn't a spare wheel right?)
Hmmm,
I thought it came with spare wheels, and that´s why there is that wheel gap.

#ForTheGapBack. 😂

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Exactly.

The Emira chassis is bonded / extruded aluminium with composite panels (though I’ve read the rear subframe is steel on the V6)…so should still in theory be lighter.
No it shouldn't. Steel is heavier than aluminum, you are right with that, but some people tend to forget that steel is also stronger and therefore you need less. That's why all really big manufacturers stopped using aluminium and switched to high strength steel. Lotus is sticking to bonded aluminum, because it's proven, gluing is the lightest way to build an aluminium car, because they have the knowledge, and the tech. It's the only way to make an aluminium car as light and yet as strong as a steel car, but nobody said that you will eventually be much lighter. If you use this tech to build a tiny, stripped Elise, then of course you are lighter than everybody else (except Mazda who are building an equally small, less stripped car with more tech that has the same weight as an Elise, but is made out of steel).

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Volume manufacturers can afford to invest in the model-specific tooling and presses to make thin and light steel panels.

Lower volume firms can’t, so use techniques like extruded, glued and bonded aluminium chassis and composite body panels.

Well-engineered cars using both approaches aren’t radically different in terms of total weight. That might have been the case 10-20 years ago but not today. Radically different weights need carbon fibre for tubs and panels.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can you craft the Emiras exotic body panels in steel at this price point?
That wouldn't make sense because its composite panels are lighter than steel could ever be. We were talking about the chassis itself. A construction like the Caymans chassis eats up way more money for development, because it's more complex. They are using many different types of steel and many different material strengths. They can do that because economies of scale look better with the Cayman than with the Emira. They are selling tens of thousands every year and charging a similar price than Lotus. Of course they could then put more money in the car in the first place.
That's also something to consider in general. If Porsche is selling way more cars, but charging the same money Lotus does, they could spend more for the development and still make a bigger margin.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
That wouldn't make sense because its composite panels are lighter than steel could ever be. We were talking about the chassis itself. A construction like the Caymans chassis eats up way more money for development, because it's more complex. They are using many different types of steel and many different material strengths. They can do that because economies of scale look better with the Cayman than with the Emira. They are selling tens of thousands every year and charging a similar price than Lotus. Of course they could then put more money in the car in the first place.
That's also something to consider in general. If Porsche is selling way more cars, but charging the same money Lotus does, they could spend more for the development and still make a bigger margin.
All true I am sure, but the sales figures I think are over estimated when you say tens of thousands. The US is the biggest market for porshe and they hardly even sell 5000 units a year there on average and thats cayman AND boxster, 718s total sales. Their yearly production is no more than 20,000 718s total again, and the car is and has not been a "big" seller for them for many years now, although I am sure Lotus would love those sales figures, but Lotus are not porsche of course. These sales are not a shock given its a sports car I guess, but also as they have not invested in the 718 for the last 8 years, apart from GT versions. Which shows how good it was in the first place, especially with the V6 engine, although to be fair the 4 cly was in its top model the S, and it pains me to say it, probably quicker than the Emira V6 anyway, but sounded not so good.

They generally make twice as many 911's and far far more macans of course, which is the whole idea for lotus. They will exist to get the cash cow's name out there, theie electric chinese made cars, but what do we care as long as the sports cars still exist.
A lot of what you say makes sense and explains why Jaguars, Aluminium usage, are still so heavy...
with the emira's unprecendented success, it will be interesting to see if it alters anything for the next electric car, would then now invest more ....... thinking their sales will be higher....