OBD II reader/scanner recommendations

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hello,

Does any have a preferred OBD II reader/scanner that they would recommend?

I would be willing to pay for more advanced diagnostic features, however, it is my understanding that such a scanner may not be available right now.

The genesis of my question is that my car has a CEL right now, but no issues with drivability whatsoever. I live 2 hours away from the dealership, and though I have a service appointment this coming Monday morning, I would like to be able to trouble shoot minor issues without making a half day round trip.

Thanks!

OP
C

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
...and yes I immediately realized I misspelled the title of the thread. I would fix it if I knew how!

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have been getting CELs pop up (twice now) whenever I rev the engine close to redline a few times or just drive it all-out even for a short run. In both cases it has gone away within 24 hours. I haven't yet been able to read the code as I loaned my scanner to a buddy and should have it back in the next week or so and will report back.

I suspect it's a fuel pump-related issue based on what the guys experienced in this video (skip to 1:45) right after some revving:

In any case, I have used the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth 4.0 OBD II Scanner in the past with Bimmercode for my BMW and it works great. I like it because you can essentially just leave it plugged in permanently and just connect to it from your phone via Bluetooth whenever you throw a CEL.

However, I haven't yet tested it with something like Car Scanner ELM OBD2 (iPhone) for the Lotus. I'll let you know once I do.

scc.131.fe

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I use a ThinkDiag for an Aston Martin and it works very well, reading from the ECU and all body modules. I'll be getting my Emira in a week or two and then I'll download the Lotus support files and see how the interface works on thay car. More to follow.

But keep in mind that any cheap OBD-II reader should be able to give you p-codes and monitor readiness states from any engine ECU. It just won't have the Lotus definition of each code beyond those required by the OBD standard.

brainf18

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great question...Unfortunately the answer (as best I can determine after extensive search) is Lotus OBDII readers are proprietary and only the dealers have the ability to conduct full scans and diagnosis.

However

The next best thing is the OBD Link product. Since a lot of Lotus' info is based on toyota most common issues can be read and diagnosed with this system. You'll need to download the app and buy the Bluetooth OBD adapter.

I used this on my Evora GT and it worked really well. Haven't plugged it into an Emira but assume it'll work there too

OBD Link.png

Last edited:

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Great question...Unfortunately the answer is Lotus OBDII readers are proprietary and only the dealers have the ability to conduct full scans and diagnosis.

However

The next best thing is the OBD Link product. Since a lot of Lotus' info is based on toyota most common issues can be read and diagnosed with this system. You'll need to download the app and buy the Bluetooth OBD adapter.

I used this on my Evora GT and it worked really well. Haven't plugged it into an Emira but assume it'll work there too

View attachment 40966
Does this work with to cancel codes and get you running again?

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I'm in the market for a reader/scanner to use with my (soon-to-arrive) Emira, as well, especially since I'm a 3-hour drive from the nearest Lotus dealer. I'm willing to pay for a good one.

The OBDLink MX+ mentioned above looks to be available on amazon.ca for C$208.99 and is said to work well with my iPhone. That said, I always skim the reviews on Amazon and usually start with the one-star reviews. Admittedly the over-all ratings are high (4.6 out of 5, after 12,231 reviews), but this one-star review is troubling (found amidst the 435 one-star reviews), given it's dated March 28/24 (very recent) and relates to a Toyota:

I bought this to read a transmission temp on an older tacoma and 4runner. So far no issues with that.
Next I tried to read the oil pressure on a newer Tundra. That's a fail.
This device only supports up to 2021 vehicles (based on the selectable list of vehicles to choose when configuring it) If you just want basic things, no problem. But something like oil pressure, trans temp.... Not with a newer vehicle and this device. I contacted their support dept and their explanation was that it takes them some time to catch up. 3-4 years isnt exactly catching up anymore.
Not sure why the manufacturer doesnt keep up with the product.

Many one-star reviews described the OBDLink working initially, then failing despite several reboots, followed by no customer support. However as indicated above, these one-star reviews were in the minority.

But something to keep in mind with any scanner...how up-to-date is it? Will updates be available and can it be updated?

I look forward to people actually using these scanners with the Emira and letting us all know how they work. My thanks in advance to these brave "beta testers".

MIGZ

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was told some of the electrical systems on the Emira were borrowed from Volvo , I wonder if scanning the car a a Volvo would work

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've never had a problem with mine...I fine it works well, is easy to use and intuitive. And yes the firmware can be updated.

Thanks brainf18. I look forward to your post on this thread, after you've received your Emira and "hooked up" the OBDLink MX+ scanner to it. Since the Emira was launched in July 2021, hopefully you'll be able to get a 2024 scanner update to ensure it works just as well with your Emira, as it does for your Evora GT. Let us know when you're finally told when to expect your Emira. Appreciate your input.

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I found another "Emira scanner thread" on this Forum with some more info: