• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

New member with actual Emira

CheshireCat

Reaction score
Any thoughts on fuel. 97 RON is lower than I put in my 981 Boxter. Tend to use Shell V power or Tesco 99 RON. Suprised 97 is recommended.

Maybe it will rev to 9000 with the Shell fuel!

Attachments

• 1667250982027.png
    1667250982027.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 78

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Nice pics.
Will confirm to many that the Emira is the better looking car, by far BUT dynamically, the balance will surely be with the RS.

Great combo.

Please tell us about the differences and positives/negatives of both (although they are not competitors is in interesting!)

OP
ott

ott

Reaction score
Nice pics.
Will confirm to many that the Emira is the better looking car, by far BUT dynamically, the balance will surely be with the RS.

Great combo.

Please tell us about the differences and positives/negatives of both (although they are not competitors is in interesting!)

Alhough RS has 100 hp advantage, in street driving Emira does not feel much slower, as mostly shifting in RS is done between 5-6 k. when it still has 3-4 k. to go. Full throttle RS engine is masterpiece, no contest. Manual is more fun on street than PDK, which again is very efficent on track and also fun enough when using manual shifting. Steering feel in Emra is superior to RS which does not communicate back much what is happening ? Overall of course RS has more grip and high speed stability. Emira’s touring suspension is reasonably comfortable, surprisingly RS is not much stiffer, only because of big splitter and lower clearance its not as useable on public roads. It also has cabin noise level so high, that without using ear protection it surely causes permanent hearing damage. RS has low seating position and perfect driver ergonomics, while Emira feels (at least compared to RS) like sitting in the bus. Seats are very different as RS has buckets, but having done 10 hr nonstop trip in both cars, no complaints. Overall these cars complement nicely eachother, one for street, one for track.

OP
ott

ott

Reaction score
Sold my Emira today. Shortly after the photoshoot above it got engine related electronic problem which Lotus has failed to fix for 4 months now.

Also leaking tailgate was not replaced for 9 months and counting, they just couldnt supply replacement. Not a major issue itself, but if replacement parts are needed to get going, its just too long time to wait.

Really liked the car, it just didn’t make sense to have it standing in the dealer garage for months. I hope Lotus improves its product quality and customer support, then maybe one day I get another.

Lots of enthusiasm and knowledge in this forum and little bs. Thanks and goodbye !

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Sold my Emira today. Shortly after the photoshoot above it got engine related electronic problem which Lotus has failed to fix for 4 months now.

Also leaking tailgate was not replaced for 9 months and counting, they just couldnt supply replacement. Not a major issue itself, but if replacement parts are needed to get going, its just too long time to wait.

Really liked the car, it just didn’t make sense to have it standing in the dealer garage for months. I hope Lotus improves its product quality and customer support, then maybe one day I get another.

Lots of enthusiasm and knowledge in this forum and little bs. Thanks and goodbye !
Wow 😯 going to take delivery in November. Have a 981 GTS which I love. Never thought of selling till I started to have engine coolant issue. Leaking fluid vacuum pump etc. think I have them all sorted out. But thinking of selling. Must of my 8 years of ownership has been trouble free. This has been the only sticky issue.
Love trouble free cars.
This example really raises concerns. Ott Your decision was very justified. Hopefully the building process has been improved and the service parts issues improved over wise I will be selling my shortly, following ott’s example.
Maybe I shouldn’t buy? What would you do with hindsight? Ott. Thanks 😊

Captain.Kirk

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Wow 😯 going to take delivery in November. Have a 981 GTS which I love. Never thought of selling till I started to have engine coolant issue. Leaking fluid vacuum pump etc. think I have them all sorted out. But thinking of selling. Must of my 8 years of ownership has been trouble free. This has been the only sticky issue.
Love trouble free cars.
This example really raises concerns. Ott Your decision was very justified. Hopefully the building process has been improved and the service parts issues improved over wise I will be selling my shortly, following ott’s example.
Maybe I shouldn’t buy? What would you do with hindsight? Ott. Thanks 😊
I have this fear that in the future, possibly the not to distant future, that we’ll see a “barn find” episode of “The Late Brake Show” by Jonny Smith and he’ll discover an abandoned Lotus Emira. Not abandoned for the normal reasons of the owner not being able to restore it, but rather that the owner could not source the necessary replacement parts from Lotus and/or fix the many gremlins that sadly lerk within the Lotus Emira. To top it off Jonny will probably say, “I quite liked the Emira, too bad Lotus went out of business!”.

OP
ott

ott

Reaction score
Prior to Emira I had 2013 (early production) ExigeV6 for 9 years, 45 k. miles and over 80 trackdays. No real issues with it ! Had my doubts before getting Exige, but was converted. Still wish that Lotus in UK will do well and it does not end like MG.

leofin

Reaction score
It’s great to read others experiences. I have a First Edition V6 automatic (2.0 version to be specific).

Have driven it in 4 European countries so far - no track days yet.

In autobahn at speeds of 250-260 km/h the car feels “super stable”. Wind doesn’t affect its stability.

On my favourite backroads (with grip between G 0.8-1.0) the Emira feels like “stack with superglue” on the tarmac. The automatic gearbox does a superb job too.

I’m comparing it with cars I’ve driven, 4X4 or rear wheel, with engine sizes between 2.0 and 3.5 costing up to €125K. I like the stereo system too.

Minuses: driving more than two hours straight might start feeling uncomfortable (car proportions, body position, automation) compared with a GT car. The warranty shall cover any software glitches which this version still has.

The Emira has its own character.

Falcouver

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order

Thank you for keeping us updated since your original post. The Emira journey didn't end well for you but we appreciate the honesty as we need to see both good and bad experiences shared via honest reviews like this.

I'm seeing the leaking tailgate issue all too often, and all the water getting dumped straight on the engine every time you open the trunk lid doesn't seem to be a great design. I hope they update this somehow in future iterations.

Are you able to elaborate on the engine issue/light you got? Could they diagnose the issue and couldnt supply the part again or was there no explanation at the end?

I guess it's the new buyer's problem now but I'm sure the community is curious. Thanks,

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
This news and those that are similar doesn't bode well for the deposit-and-waiting people. Even 10% of cars having issues is far too much when your dealership is not close by.

OP
ott

ott

Reaction score
Thank you for keeping us updated since your original post. The Emira journey didn't end well for you but we appreciate the honesty as we need to see both good and bad experiences shared via honest reviews like this.

I'm seeing the leaking tailgate issue all too often, and all the water getting dumped straight on the engine every time you open the trunk lid doesn't seem to be a great design. I hope they update this somehow in future iterations.

Are you able to elaborate on the engine issue/light you got? Could they diagnose the issue and couldnt supply the part again or was there no explanation at the end?

I guess it's the new buyer's problem now but I'm sure the community is curious. Thanks,

Tailgate issue in my case was not water flowing into trunk when opened after washing/rain. This can be avoided if you do it carefully and there is no real fix. Problem was tailgate frame filling with water, which is discussed in detail here: https://www.emiraforum.com/threads/boot-hatch-frame-fills-with-water.2205/

Can't comment what was wrong with engine management, but car went into limp mode. This was not fixed while I owned the car. Lotus said they shall first install "improved" software and only then will investigate further if needed. Not sure if this long waited new software is released by now ? Considering that most cars run fine, I doubt that its only software. Maybe or maybe not, but after 4 summer months of waiting I made my decision.