My trip to Hethel

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I would love to travel to Hethel to take the Lotus tour and see all the colors in person, but unfortunately the Canadian government has taken away all my privileges to travel by air, rail and sea, because I refuse to take the covid Vaxx/poi●●n.
Sad how we as a society, continue to allow the powers at be to take away our rights, freedoms and liberties.
God bless the Canadian truckers.

Last edited:

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I would love to travel to Hethel to take the Lotus tour and see all the colors in person, but unfortunately the Canadian government has taken away all my privileges to travel by air, rail and sea, because I refuse to take the covid Vaxx/poi●●n.
Sad how we as a society, continue to allow the powers at be to take away our rights, freedoms and liberties.
God bless the Canadian truckers.
😭

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It seems odd that they asked for feedback and have then ignored it. Why do you think this is? Unless they have adopted the Micheal O'Leary IDGAF about customers approach to running a business :) There are a lot of good people at Lotus so this seems unlikely?
Internal politics at Lotus. The new direct sales channel is seen by some as a fundamental part of making New Lotus a success. Rolling it out in the UK is the first step in transforming the manufacturer/dealer model worldwide. Tesla (where Matt used to work) and Polestar (a sister Geely company) are held up as examples.

So the problems in the US (for example markups) are seen as symptoms of the old model and justification for the new one. Demand and waiting lists in the UK are highlighted as vindication for changing the model prior to the Emira launch.

There’s a lot depending on Lotus sales success and there’s been a big investment in the new channel, not just for Emira but also for the EV models. I liken it to an “emperor’s new clothes” moment - no one inside Lotus wants to point out that it’s not working in terms of customer engagement.

Some of us who gave feedback were discounted as agitators from the old days of Lotus and not representative of the future target customer demographic. All very sad.

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Internal politics at Lotus. The new direct sales channel is seen by some as a fundamental part of making New Lotus a success. Rolling it out in the UK is the first step in transforming the manufacturer/dealer model worldwide. Tesla (where Matt used to work) and Polestar (a sister Geely company) are held up as examples.

So the problems in the US (for example markups) are seen as symptoms of the old model and justification for the new one. Demand and waiting lists in the UK are highlighted as vindication for changing the model prior to the Emira launch.

There’s a lot depending on Lotus sales success and there’s been a big investment in the new channel, not just for Emira but also for the EV models. I liken it to an “emperor’s new clothes” moment - no one inside Lotus wants to point out that it’s not working in terms of customer engagement.

Some of us who gave feedback were discounted as agitators from the old days of Lotus and not representative of the future target customer demographic. All very sad.
I see it more like you’re the lone soldier in 300 they sent back to make sure the younger guys hear the story told by someone who lived it.

Lotus should pay attention because the next generation of owners are certainly a captive audience for you.

#ForTheSoldiers

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

So are they seeing the number of deposits they already have as proof they don't need to do anything else except build cars? I sure hope not, because that would be a seriously erroneous assumption.

jmn444

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It's only erroneous if people don't buy the cars though... I've seen very few claim to pull the plug on their deposits.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So are they seeing the number of deposits they already have as proof they don't need to do anything else except build cars? I sure hope not, because that would be a seriously erroneous assumption.
Yes, that’s a significant part of it. And yes, a wrong assumption that will lead to wrong decisions.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It's only erroneous if people don't buy the cars though... I've seen very few claim to pull the plug on their deposits.

Their success doesn’t depend just on the Emira. It is granted a runaway hit but that shouldn’t give them delusions of grandeur. You can tell a lot from the attitude of a company and right now it feels like Lotus have an arrogance they haven’t quite earned.

The Eletra and future electric sports car will provide a true test and a reckoning if this continues. There they have real modern competition without the Emira goodwill.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As for pulling out, I’m giving it some serious consideration and not because of the delays but the general - we’ll do what we like and you’ll just have to live with it attitude.
Part of why I have kept buying bmws - they always treated me right and the experience including European delivery was special every time. Love the cars but there are lots of great cars.

So far my lotus experience is literally at best a 2/10 and the only reason it’s not a 1/10 is because they had the road show that I was able to attend.

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Part of why I have kept buying bmws - they always treated me right and the experience including European delivery was special every time. Love the cars but there are lots of great cars.

So far my lotus experience is literally at best a 2/10 and the only reason it’s not a 1/10 is because they had the road show that I was able to attend.
I haven’t seen the car in person unfortunately. I was in London a few weeks back and asked if I could pop into the factory to see the car and was told it wasn’t possible. Months later and no pictures.

This coupled with the fact my dealers are reporting production is still on schedule (i’m estimated an August / Sept delivery) has me concerned i’m not getting a car till next year.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I haven’t seen the car in person unfortunately. I was in London a few weeks back and asked if I could pop into the factory to see the car and was told it wasn’t possible. Months later and no pictures.

This coupled with the fact my dealers are reporting production is still on schedule (i’m estimated an August / Sept delivery) has me concerned i’m not getting a car till next year.
I think it would be a good idea to add a month to delivery as a baseline. One thing that goes in deposit holders favour is people relying on finance to get the car. Some will not get it, Lotus have been told by a certain dealer group that because they have not done the approval process and won't until the last minute they can expect a 20% drop out rate

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So ummm… what if I don’t like the magma red when they finally release official vehicle photos? Do I have any recourse on my $10,000 deposit?

The reason I’m a tad nervous is that my folks have just pre-ordered a cardinal red Mercedes… presumably a lot like our magma red (dark, multi-layered, gold fleck in sunlight). I noticed on the Mercedes forums this comment:

”Cardinal can look brownish or rootbeer color at night under certain light, my best friend bought his wife a cardinal red GLE and he(and she) both hate it.”

Maybe I’m just feeling antsy…

This is why I booked a tour of Hethel from the U.S.

Lankan

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, that’s a significant part of it. And yes, a wrong assumption that will lead to wrong decisions.
Sitting on your laurels and/or being over confident, based only on a strong order book has, and will continue to be, their downfall if Lotus are not careful.

After all trying to move from a small scale sports car manufacturer, albeit targeting a niche market and a dedicated following, to a relatively high-volume manufacturer, especially when attempting to attract new buyers from the likes of Porsche, may back fire, big time. I hope this is not the case, but from what I have seen and heard, Lotus needs to listen to their potential customers and act accordingly. Oh well, I guess I too have now donned the pants and joined 'the grumpy pants' club! :whistle:

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sitting on your laurels and/or being over confident, based only on a strong order book has, and will continue to be, their downfall if Lotus are not careful.

After all trying to move from a small scale sports car manufacturer, albeit targeting a niche market and a dedicated following, to a relatively high-volume manufacturer, especially when attempting to attract new buyers from the likes of Porsche, may back fire, big time. I hope this is not the case, but from what I have seen and heard, Lotus needs to listen to their potential customers and act accordingly. Oh well, I guess I too have now donned the pants and joined 'the grumpy pants' club! :whistle:
If they are thinking, 'The car speaks for itself,' then who is speaking for the car?
The upcoming reviews had better be sterling.
Endorsement is one thing, customer engagement is another.
We are left wanting.....

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It's the Tesla way, which sucks!! No comms department at all (think: nobody to call or email with everyone's questions) and they basically say "you'll get something when we decide you deserve it, and you had better feel lucky, too." They can treat everyone like trash because they save money and still sell in record numbers. No real competition and demand has greatly outpaced supply.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It's the Tesla way, which sucks!! No comms department at all (think: nobody to call or email with everyone's questions) and they basically say "you'll get something when we decide you deserve it, and you had better feel lucky, too." They can treat everyone like trash because they save money and still sell in record numbers. No real competition and demand has greatly outpaced supply.
Treat um mean keep um keen springs to mind...

Last edited: