• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

My rear tyre (tire) only lasted 700km. Screw that.

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Walked behind the Emira in my garage and notice something shiny on the tyre. Got close up and saw a small screw head sticking out. I have only had the car for 10 days and covered 700km. Not too sure how long in had been in there. Tyre pressure was OK. I took the tyre off and took it to the local Goodyear shop. Hopeless , service and care factor was rubbish. They didn't even bother to phone me to tell me that they don't have a machine capable of handling larger (wider) rims so they couldn't help me! The rim was left in the customer car park with Lotus badge showing. Nuff said. I then went to the Bob Jane T-Marts Moorabbin (Victoria Australia) - big shout out to those guys - professional from my first contact. I expected an internal plug repair but alas they rang and said the hole was too large( over 3mm). So new new tyre required. He informed me that they had 12 x LTS 295/30R20 in stock and said they must have only just arrive as none have shipped and they didn't have a price on them! - but did say Goodyear have and almost similar tyre with same specs (non LTS). I stated that I wanted the same LTS tyre on both sides. It was delivered and fitted the next day. Cost was A$741 fitted. I hope this doesn't happen every two weeks o_O.
I have driven Lotus for 20 years and never had a puncture. The following day they told my only 7 tyre were now in stock. That could be for many reasons. Anyone else needed to repair puncture yet? Added a picture of new tyre fitted and a shot inside wheel bay for interest,

PXL_20230906_220347989~2.jpg
PXL_20230908_042014682.jpg
PXL_20230908_042341217-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20230908_042327032-EDIT.jpg

Last edited:

Panda47

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Walked behind the Emira in my garage and notice something shiny on the tyre. Got close up and saw a small screw head sticking out. I have only had the car for 10 days and covered 700km. Not too sure how long in had been in there. Tyre pressure was OK. I took the tyre off and took it to the local Goodyear shop. Hopeless , service and care factor was rubbish. They didn't even bother to phone me to tell me that they don't have a machine capable of handling larger (wider) rims so they couldn't help me! The rim was left in the customer car park with Lotus badge showing. Nuff said. I then went to the Bob Jane T-Marts Moorabbin (Victoria Australia) - big shout out to those guys - professional from my first contact. I expected an internal plug repair but alas they rang and said the hole was too large( over 3mm). So new new tyre required. He informed me that they had 12 x LTS 295/30R20 in stock and said they must have only just arrive as none have shipped and they didn't have a price on them! - but did say Goodyear have and almost similar tyre with same specs (non LTS). I stated that I wanted the same LTS tyre on both sides. It was delivered and fitted the next day. Cost was A$741 fitted. I hope this doesn't happen every two weeks o_O.
I have driven Lotus for 20 years and never had a puncture. The following day they told my only 7 tyre were now in stock. That could be for many reasons. Anyone else needed to repair puncture yet? Added a picture of new tyre fitted and a shot inside wheel bay for interest,

View attachment 31160View attachment 31161View attachment 31162View attachment 31166
What a bummer,but thanks for the photos👍🏽

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Bugger. I had a miserable twelve months when two different houses were being rennovated on my street and I got not one, not two, but three nails in my tyres. The builders seem to just toss them on the ground without thinking twice.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh no @kbhoz that's such bad luck. :(

At least you were able to source a LTS tyre locally and quickly from a standard tyre shop.

Personally I would have kept that punctured tyre and repaired it even if its over 3mm. Only time I throw out tyres is if the sidewall is damaged (risk of blow out), or the tread is sliced open.

OP
kbhoz

kbhoz

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Oh no @kbhoz that's such bad luck. :(

At least you were able to source a LTS tyre locally and quickly from a standard tyre shop.

Personally I would have kept that punctured tyre and repaired it even if its over 3mm. Only time I throw out tyres is if the sidewall is damaged (risk of blow out), or the tread is sliced open.
Agreed. I should have kept it.

_w_

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Couple of inch screw in a rear tire after 3 weeks, held pressure ok and after some hunting was able to get it patched (garage 20 miles away on a bank holiday). Guys in the garage were pretty excited about the car in general and the weight of the wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 57

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Sorry to hear, but at least they had a replacement in stock.

Two times when I’ve been on our Lotus owners Isle of Man trip in my Evora I’ve had tyre problems. Both on a Saturday afternoon, when everything shuts at noon until Monday. First time I’d cut the sidewall on a sharp stone and no amount of tyre weld was going to fix it. I had to wait 2 days for a new tyre to come over on the ferry!

Second time was this year and I had a screw in the middle of the rear tyre and a slow leak. Luckily they were able to plug repair it, otherwise it would have been another wait for the ferry. Next year I’ll have to take a couple of spares over with me just in case!

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
i always keep a tin (biggest one) of holts Tyre weld foam in all my 'fleet'.
Many years ago dressed in a dapper suit a client at the time insisted we printed a full version of their monstrous website in its entirety and delivered it every friday evening. Clowns.
Anyway I was in the S1 exige dashing down the A1 in the dark and noticed (after a refuel) a rhythmical scrape. Pulled over and it was a huge section of wire from a pallet stuck in the centre of a toyo 888. Pulled it out and the tyre was completely flat. Pushed it to where I thought the hole was and administered the foam.

Worked and sealed the hole. Ran around for a few days (not advised) until i got it repaired.
Be a fool and dont take the advice to get a tin tomorrow!!!!!

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

View attachment 31160View attachment 31161View attachment 31162View attachment 31166
Does the rear have a dual brake setup? Never noticed that.