• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Music via USB drive

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi

Anyone had an issues getting Emira to recognize USB drives?

Got a USB drive formatted as FAT32 with about 30Gb of MP3 files on and it doesn't seem to want to find the files on it. Plugged in and waited a while but eventually seems to not think drive connected?

Thoughts / comments from other Emira owners?

Mistral

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi

Got a USB drive formatted as FAT32 with about 30Gb of MP3 files on and it doesn't seem to want to find the files on it. Plugged in and waited a while but eventually seems to not think drive connected?

I've got it to see lossless files on a memory stick plugged into the USB A. You can switch between USB A & C on the centre display. Mind you the sound isn't particularly good, certainly not the premium that we're paying for.

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I tried a different USB with just a couple of folders on and it worked fine, so I am thinking it either doesn't like my other USB drive (Kingston DT100G3/64GB DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 Flash Drive, 64 GB), perhaps it is too slow, or it doesn't like the number of files / folder I have on the drive. Worked fine in the Audi TTS and in my partners Yaris Cross. Will perhaps buy a fast SanDisk drive and try that.

Personally found the sound quality from DAB radio okay so far, and when I did a USB working it seemed okay, but not spent much time with the audio or tweaking the settings yet.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi

I had a similar issue with a fat32 formatted usb stick on my first test drive. Just a bunch of folders on the root which contained mp3 files.

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had a similar issue with a fat32 formatted usb stick on my first test drive. Just a bunch of folders on the root which contained mp3 files.
will have to try some different sticks then, will be a pain if it just down to it containing a lot of files / folders, never had issue on other cars.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How many files and folders in the root directory of your FAT32 drive? And how many total?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Unless your PC is older, use the NTFS format which is the current one. Fat32 is an old format.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Unless your PC is older, use the NTFS format which is the current one. Fat32 is an old format.
As a Linux user, I steer clear of NTFS unless I am only using the device for Windows. Still have nightmares trying to mount reliably an NTFS drive for Linux use.

I don't have the USB stick at hand but it sits in my wife's X1 and is read without any issues. Less than 16GB of mp3 files, from memory.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As a Linux user, I steer clear of NTFS unless I am only using the device for Windows. Still have nightmares trying to mount reliably an NTFS drive for Linux use.

I don't have the USB stick at hand but it sits in my wife's X1 and is read without any issues. Less than 16GB of mp3 files, from memory.
Being a Linux user puts you in a different (and smaller) category. In that case, try the exFAT format as @Porter suggested.

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How many files and folders in the root directory of your FAT32 drive? And how many total?
196 folders in root - no files in root
5826 files / 426 folders / 32.7Gb in total

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Happy to try it, but doubt it will read NTFS since it is a proprietary file system design for Windows based OS's mainly.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Happy to try it, but doubt it will read NTFS since it is a proprietary file system design for Windows based OS's mainly.
I wonder if the car itself will format a blank flash drive? If it does, it would be interesting to see what format it uses.

OP
D

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Being a Linux user puts you in a different (and smaller) category. In that case, try the exFAT format as @Porter suggested.

Just copied across some new music to the usb stick and checked it for format - exFAT 64GB usb stick. I wonder whether the Emira prefers FAT32?.... (or perhaps it will turn out to be a random issue which doesn't reappear)

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
its like being on the bridge of the Enterprise :alien:

finny76

EMIRAAA
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That is the format that is recognized by most car stereo systems, so if you format anything than than Fat32, then most likely it will not be recognized.

I suggest using a Flash drive that is 32gb OR smaller and format in Fat32...

You should have no issues...

Last edited:

Wiz33

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I use exFat format and it works fine. Even the cover art comes up under Album (takes a while). My problem is that the songs are played in alphabetical order, the song number in teh album.