• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Maybe not a direct competitor yet but...

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
While Lotus fiddles and time goes by other appealing options could start hitting the market. While this seems a bit underpowered at forst glance it does catch the eye. Come on Lotus - would be a shame if the Emira's heyday came and went before our very eyes without even a test drive

1658853356785.png

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
While Lotus fiddles and time goes by other appealing options could start hitting the market. While this seems a bit underpowered at forst glance it does catch the eye. Come on Lotus - would be a shame if the Emira's heyday came and went before our very eyes without even a test drive

View attachment 7731

It would be really great to see an entry level, RWD, mid-engine turbo car! No manual transmission mentioned as @Tempest2000 said, but would still be cool to see. Depending on the power-to-weight ratio, it could actually be a competitor to the AMG powered Emira... and at a third of the price! Thanks for sharing!

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

View attachment 7731
Smells like a daily

Friscorays

Reaction score
Those upset by the wait for the Emira might want to take note of the last sentence: "Expected (sic) these three sports cars to land in showrooms in 2025." Given the lack of even a name, I won't be holding my breath.

nosirrahx

Reaction score
I think the market for cars like the Emira will increase as performance EVs become big sellers. People will want a weekend toy to contrast against their completely numb EV rocket.

cloud9blue

Reaction score
funny, actually Saleen S1 WAS the closest competitor to Emira. But sadly that brand is now dead and that car never saw actual production.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
funny, actually Saleen S1 WAS the closest competitor to Emira. But sadly that brand is now dead and that car never saw actual production.
I saw something recently about the Saleen S1 and thought the same thing, but it seems like it'll never happen. It's been teased since 2017... Then wasn't there something about it being built in China... Then the factory got raided and shut down? Or it caught on fire? Something crazy went on... 🤔

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This reminded me that the motoring press highlighted the Artega GT as a competitor of the Evora when it first launched. It looked OK and had some reasonable initial reviews. I just checked back - they sold 153 before going bankrupt.

cloud9blue

Reaction score
This reminded me that the motoring press highlighted the Artega GT as a competitor of the Evora when it first launched. It looked OK and had some reasonable initial reviews. I just checked back - they sold 153 before going bankrupt.
I read Salem went into some business with some shady partners in China and the factory they were planning to build these things never came online due to financial fraud.

Too bad, because I saw these cars in person at the Blancpain GT races at Waktins Glen in 2019. They looked great and were fairly quick on the track too.

Attachments

• 5A6C171C-A1FF-4095-9734-1C255D3BCD6B.jpeg
    5A6C171C-A1FF-4095-9734-1C255D3BCD6B.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 34

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I saw something recently about the Saleen S1 and thought the same thing, but it seems like it'll never happen. It's been teased since 2017... Then wasn't there something about it being built in China... Then the factory got raided and shut down? Or it caught on fire? Something crazy went on... 🤔

Oh man, the 2010s dubstep in the advert... 😂

How had I never heard of the S1 til now?? 🤔 Too bad, looked like a sexy car!

JP__FOX

Reaction score
This sounds like a fun little car with 150bhp but more of an MX5 rival than an Emira rival... Could be quite a sensible daily for the commute alongside an Emira for the weekend!