Lotus is dead ????? interesting video

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting indeed... he isn't wrong.

There will always be purists who say it's not a Lotus for one reason or another... but no matter what you want, Lotus is now an EV brand and the Emira is its farewell to a rich history of racing and producing some of the most fun cars ever made.

daveparky84

Reaction score
This guy must be fun at parties.. On the contrary Lotus are getting ahead of the curve and aiming to be one of the leading electric sports car / supercar makers and so far they seem to be onto something. Being a "small" manufacturer with new investment money allows them to start completely new far quicker than mega car companies and build new platforms from the ground up. I also think it's Ignorant to assume you cannot make a truely great electric sports car, of course you can, it's still early days.

Lotus must do whatever it can to survive at the end of the day, things are changing very quickly. Lotus is still Lotus and I'm super excited for the Emira, the Evija and whatever they have planned for the future.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Intriguing chronicle of where Lotus began and where it may be headed. The Type 132 is teasingly revealed in the last 5 minutes. You can appreciate the DNA that was poured into the Emira. I find myself more sympathetic about their struggles to retool and satisfy customer appetites for what constitutes a runaway success. This is the biggest challenge yet to remain familiar while evolving. .

The headline is a 'grabber` and therefore annoying. I disagree with the premise and feel Lotus is competing - as every other manufacturer - to remain not just relevant but preferred.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Meh. You could also say that Porsche is dead.. Soon there will be no more ICE 718s or 911s.. The only thing that will remain true to Porsche is the outline of a VW beetle. :D

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I look at it this way.. Elon used a Lotus to benchmark Tesla initial performance and there's no doubt EV have fantastic handling due to low slung weight and center of gravity. Now Lotus is going into EV to do what Lotus does best and I expect their EV's to be even more outrageous. It's full circle.. if the world started with electric cars and then moved to ICE, these people would be saying the same things "They've left there ideals about building electric cars, blah blah blah...."

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Agree with one of the previous posters (@EspritGuy ) - I hate sensationalist, click-bait "look at me" headlines like this - so tired of it.

This is weak journalistically despite some decent content, the premise is flawed and some of it ill-informed.

What is happening at Lotus and other marques is pure Darwin - adapt and survive, adapt better than the rest and thrive. Lotus has reinvented itself a few times while staying true to its core, I think it will be the best version of itself it can be given the constraints of the new era automotive is moving into.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I Dont think Lotus is dead (and I cant be arsed to watch 40 mins about it) but I do think for me the future of the sports car is dead (for me) as I have an emotion about sports cars, ICE, noise even vibrations they make and especially a manual box (thats why I am stretching myself for an Emira all being well!) but EV leaves me cold, I have driven a few, find them perfectly good a-b cars and for those who dont care about driving, but for me no EV will ever excite me like a good ICE car does, and thats just how I feel.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I Dont think Lotus is dead (and I cant be arsed to watch 40 mins about it) but I do think for me the future of the sports car is dead (for me) as I have an emotion about sports cars, ICE, noise even vibrations they make and especially a manual box (thats why I am stretching myself for an Emira all being well!) but EV leaves me cold, I have driven a few, find them perfectly good a-b cars and for those who dont care about driving, but for me no EV will ever excite me like a good ICE car does, and thats just how I feel.
To be fair, the video is really good in my opinion and for the most part about the history of Lotus. It's really worth a watch. The title however is a bit too much clickbait, but I got his idea/concern.

Persad12

Reaction score
one thing I never understand about them is that they all praise lotus for being a purist car which is true. However, no one including the reviewers buy them. Its a very niche market and were all part of that niche. How many others spend money on a BMW M series or Audi RS badge. Then when Lotus isnt getting sales and they start production around what customers want they get bashed for trying to maintain their philosophy as well as please the mass majority of customers

mr_joshua

Emira Fan
Reaction score
one thing I never understand about them is that they all praise lotus for being a purist car which is true. However, no one including the reviewers buy them. Its a very niche market and were all part of that niche. How many others spend money on a BMW M series or Audi RS badge. Then when Lotus isnt getting sales and they start production around what customers want they get bashed for trying to maintain their philosophy as well as please the mass majority of customers
I think that's a very real and very accurate assessment of the state of affairs.

And per others, I think it is worth pointing out that the highlighted video IS great for providing a really good history and evolution of Lotus org. I actually found that fascinating and didn't know quite a few points brought up. It's only the very last part of the video that starts to nag on nonsense.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
All very good observations, well put! Has prompted a thought which i'll share in a new thread...

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think it's dead, it's just different. We need got come to terms with the fact that new Lotus will largely function as the halo brand for Geely - think what Lamborghini is to Audi (specifically the Urus to the RSQ8 and Huracan to R8)

The new Lotus cars are based on Geely platforms (some room to tweak here I presume) and lotus management now effectively report into Geely. They will have creative freedom on design but as I understand it most Lotus cars will have a Volvo / Geely relative.

The emira is probably the last Lotus Lotus car we're going to see.