Lotus introduces ‘Lotus Chapman Bespoke’

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wasn't this the whole idea behind Radford though?

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I was told at the Lotus factory yesterday this program is for everything moving forward, EXCEPT the Emira. They will not be doing the Bespoke options on the Emira AT ALL.
Lotus views Emira as a "runout model" that keeps the brand in the sports car market over the next three years until the TYP 135 is ready.

The 100% priority in Hethel now is ensuring that the TYP 135 is a massive success when it launches in 2027.

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Lotus views Emira as a "runout model" that keeps the brand in the sports car market over the next three years until the TYP 135 is ready.

The 100% priority in Hethel now is ensuring that the TYP 135 is a massive success when it launches in 2027.

That's super disappointing, but maybe we can get lucky and like Honda, have an electric manual style sports car from Lotus. None-the-less, I wonder if the type 135 will look good and what options it may come in. If I had a bigger garage, an Emira and a Type-135 would be a fun setup.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was told at the Lotus factory yesterday this program is for everything moving forward, EXCEPT the Emira. They will not be doing the Bespoke options on the Emira AT ALL.

Just wanted everyone to know.

Ryan G
Why does this both surprise me and not surprise me at the same time.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
These guys seem to think Lotus is some serious trouble.....

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
24:17 - about 1 min long is Lotus talk
If that sale number is correct for the Eletre, they've only sold 40? Then yes, Lotus is in trouble. They need to do a hard stop, and rethink their strategy. Don't stop the Emira; keep it going for at least another 5 years. Go hybrid instead of all EV. Plan on hybrid for at least the next 10 years. Wait and see how and when governments start putting together a credible plan for building up the infrastructure to handle the demand on the power grid that all EV would cause, then make your plans accordingly.

I would also recommend/suggest they consider partnering with Toyota for hybrid engine development and use. Just as a business decision, let Carr's team do the vehicle design. The Evija, Emira (and I'm sure the Type 135) are significantly better looking than the Eletre, Emeya.

They need to rethink quickly, and not wait until a year or two to find out they're too far away from a transition to hybrid to be viable in the marketplace. As expensive as it's going to be to change strategy now, it's still going to be far less expensive than losing everything because they waited too long to recognize the hand writing on the wall.

PsymonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If that sale number is correct for the Eletre, they've only sold 40? Then yes, Lotus is in trouble. They need to do a hard stop, and rethink their strategy. Don't stop the Emira; keep it going for at least another 5 years. Go hybrid instead of all EV. Plan on hybrid for at least the next 10 years. Wait and see how and when governments start putting together a credible plan for building up the infrastructure to handle the demand on the power grid that all EV would cause, then make your plans accordingly.
The problem is that for some markets that approach would need a change in legislation. It's not as straightforward as ignoring full electric for 10 years.

For example in the UK, by 2026 manufacturers need to have 33% of sales being electric, and only a quarter of that 33% can be borrowed from elsewhere with a £15k fine for any car non-EV sold outside the target. And the targets only get stricter year on year from there.

As such manufacturers need to have EVs as part of their product portfolio. Hybrids don't count towards the targets so going that approach won't help legislatively, so why not just stick to ICE at that point.

There is also the aspect of development time with introducing hybrids, if they're not already developing a hybrid vehicle they're not going to have one on the market any time soon. They're not going to just be able to pick up a hybrid drivetrain from elsewhere and swap it to an ICE or EV vehicle.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The problem is that for some markets that approach would need a change in legislation. It's not as straightforward as ignoring full electric for 10 years.

For example in the UK, by 2026 manufacturers need to have 33% of sales being electric, and only a quarter of that 33% can be borrowed from elsewhere with a £15k fine for any car non-EV sold outside the target. And the targets only get stricter year on year from there.

As such manufacturers need to have EVs as part of their product portfolio. Hybrids don't count towards the targets so going that approach won't help legislatively, so why not just stick to ICE at that point.

There is also the aspect of development time with introducing hybrids, if they're not already developing a hybrid vehicle they're not going to have one on the market any time soon. They're not going to just be able to pick up a hybrid drivetrain from elsewhere and swap it to an ICE or EV vehicle.
The legislation is going to change. The EV market has flattened to the point where the manufacturers are dramatically scaling back or flat-out stopping EV production. They're not selling, and there's no used market demand. As far as legislation, nothing changes a politician's mind faster than the prospect of not getting re-elected. You're going to see changes.

This is why I said Geely needs to do a hard stop and look at hybrids now, and partnering with Toyota would be a good move. They're already in a relationship through Lotus, so it's not unreasonable. Even if they started today, it's still going to take at least a year to get something in the works, but that's better than waiting until 2027 to find out legislation has just changed, and you haven't even started planning. Meanwhile, Toyota and Mazda are all ready to go and moving into your marketplace territory. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Porsche already has something in the works hybrid-wise, in anticipation of the political winds changing. They didn't get to be who they are by being clueless.

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The legislation is going to change. The EV market has flattened to the point where the manufacturers are dramatically scaling back or flat-out stopping EV production. They're not selling, and there's no used market demand. As far as legislation, nothing changes a politician's mind faster than the prospect of not getting re-elected. You're going to see changes.

This is why I said Geely needs to do a hard stop and look at hybrids now, and partnering with Toyota would be a good move. They're already in a relationship through Lotus, so it's not unreasonable. Even if they started today, it's still going to take at least a year to get something in the works, but that's better than waiting until 2027 to find out legislation has just changed, and you haven't even started planning. Meanwhile, Toyota and Mazda are all ready to go and moving into your marketplace territory. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Porsche already has something in the works hybrid-wise, in anticipation of the political winds changing. They didn't get to be who they are by being clueless.

FYI-- Geely owns so many brands now it has rather sophisticated hybrid/PHEV platforms that's market proven.

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If that sale number is correct for the Eletre, they've only sold 40? Then yes, Lotus is in trouble. They need to do a hard stop, and rethink their strategy. Don't stop the Emira; keep it going for at least another 5 years
I've been closely following the Lotus Technology journey for about three years and over time I've become extremely skeptical.

Lotus doesn't have the brand power to sell in volume at the price point they want for Electre and Emeya. On top of that, they're 5+ years too early for 100% BEV.

They should have started with a hybrid and it should have been a Macan competitor.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I think it will be EV or bust for Geely's Lotus. It is very curious that Lotus never published 2023 annual sales. I am sure now that it is publicly traded this information will be available. I am strictly interested on Lotus' EV sales outside of china and wonder if this new "chapman bespoke" will garnish any attention in the future. Concept is great, similar to Porsche sonderwunsch. I am hopeful that they can make this business viable... but at the same time it's not looking good. Too bad, I really think the design of Eletre and Emeya could have been executed so much better....

Last edited:

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I've been closely following the Lotus Technology journey for about three years and over time I've become extremely skeptical.

Lotus doesn't have the brand power to sell in volume at the price point they want for Electre and Emeya. On top of that, they're 5+ years too early for 100% BEV.

They should have started with a hybrid and it should have been a Macan competitor.

I think the problem is, Geely is putting too much pressure on making Lotus Technology 100% EV to cater to China's market. Separate of that, I know the US is starting to move more towards hybrid, but I'm uncertain with the UK/Europe on whether they'll also move to hybrid.

I think it will be EV or bust for Geely's Lotus. It is very curious that Lotus never published 2023 annual sales. I am sure now that it is publicly traded this information will be available. I am strictly interested on Lotus' EV sales outside of china and wonder if this new "chapman bespoke" will garnish any attention in the future. Concept is great, similar to Porsche sonderwunsch. I am hopeful that they can make this business viable... but at the same time it's not looking good. Too bad, I really think the design of Eletre and Emeya could have been executed so much better....

The Electre and Emeya may be a much different brand and product offering than Lotus normally handles, but I think it makes the most sense for Lotus to survive and thrive. With that, Emira owners would intrinsically get more options for dealerships and theoretically, support. I actually would like to see both of these products thrive since they're very nice and beautiful designs.

Altogether, I hope Lotus starts to change their tune, push the Emira lifeline out 5 more years and run the Type 135 side-by-side with the Emira. They've already made a lot of clear statements that they don't have capacity, but that would be a great way to buy more time.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Curious what's the burn rate on that Wuhan factory. They were projecting 150k total sales/yr across all models once up to full capacity, according to the SPAC docs. Selling 40 total in a month is beyond catastrophic.

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think the problem is, Geely is putting too much pressure on making Lotus Technology 100% EV to cater to China's market. Separate of that, I know the US is starting to move more towards hybrid, but I'm uncertain with the UK/Europe on whether they'll also move to hybrid.

The Electre and Emeya may be a much different brand and product offering than Lotus normally handles, but I think it makes the most sense for Lotus to survive and thrive. With that, Emira owners would intrinsically get more options for dealerships and theoretically, support. I actually would like to see both of these products thrive since they're very nice and beautiful designs.

Altogether, I hope Lotus starts to change their tune, push the Emira lifeline out 5 more years and run the Type 135 side-by-side with the Emira. They've already made a lot of clear statements that they don't have capacity, but that would be a great way to buy more time.
I see you are from Detroit. I'm in Lakeshore just outside of Windsor. There are about 3 or 4 of us around here. You know of any others around you? Be nice to get together possibly one day.

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
I see you are from Detroit. I'm in Lakeshore just outside of Windsor. There are about 3 or 4 of us around here. You know of any others around you? Be nice to get together possibly one day.
Hey John!

I actually did recently talk to a guy around Detroit that received his Emira and wants to link up sometime at a car meet. I'm not sure how many Emira's Lotus of Detroit has delivered, but the current list has about 40 other customers waiting for delivery. I don't have an order in yet as I haven't gotten to test drive the Emira. I'm also currently waiting for information on the Base, S, and R models before making a decision. Still, we can definitely plan to link up sometime once the weather improves!