Lotus increased interest rate from 5.9% to 6.9%

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Well I must be even more old fashioned and probably in a tiny minority these days :) My attitude to buying cars has always been that if I can't buy it outright for cash, with a good cash buffer over, then I can't afford it. If that meant I'd be driving a 10 year old hot hatch rather than an £80k Emira, then so be it. Expensive sports cars are nice obviously, but with the right mindset you can have a hell of a lot of fun in a cheap car without any finance costs to worry about.

For me it doesn’t matter if it’s a cheap econobox or an expensive sports car, the formula is simple: If I think I can net a higher return post taxes investing the money than it costs to finance the vehicle — then I will take the financing. If not, I buy it cash.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For me it doesn’t matter if it’s a cheap econobox or an expensive sports car, the formula is simple: If I think I can net a higher return post taxes investing the money than it costs to finance the vehicle — then I will take the financing. If not, I buy it cash.
A very valid approach, although as mentioned above, a lot depends on attitude towards investment risk. Since 2008 with the 'everything bubble' blown by QE that would have worked very well much of the time, even just with an S&P 500 tracker. This year with stocks, bonds, crypto all tanking and now property also looking a bit shakey, it is much harder for to find decent returns.

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Matt Windle just last week:"These rising industrial costs will not be passed on to our customers"

A week later, *Ant & Dec image in mind* -"Put the interest rates up by 1%"

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Matt Windle just last week:"These rising industrial costs will not be passed on to our customers"

A week later, *Ant & Dec image in mind* -"Put the interest rates up by 1%"
The cost of buying the car isn’t going up. The cost of funding the purchase for people who need to borrow the money is going up. But only if you use the Lotus finance.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I must be even more old fashioned and probably in a tiny minority these days :) My attitude to buying cars has always been that if I can't buy it outright for cash, with a good cash buffer over, then I can't afford it. If that meant I'd be driving a 10 year old hot hatch rather than an £80k Emira, then so be it. Expensive sports cars are nice obviously, but with the right mindset you can have a hell of a lot of fun in a cheap car without any finance costs to worry about.
I’m with you 100%. Cash buy or nothing. The banks can go pound sand.

Gibbo205

Reaction score
So Lotus said they would honour the price of the car but have cheekily increased the finance rate from 5.9% upto 6.9% so those paying on finance will be paying more for the car, they are just getting it in a different way then just increasing the price.

Cheeky but I would say to be expected with Bank of England base rate and inflation rising.

boozyjay

Reaction score
You can still get some personal loans at low rates. The AA offer one at 3%.

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lotus isn't financing the car, a lender with which they have an agreement is financing the car. Lotus may be getting a small kickback. It's more likely the finance person in the dealership gets the kickback as part of his/her compensation.

Convenience is about the only reason to finance through any car dealership. You can almost always get better rates, often MUCH better rates, from other sources. In the US, many credit unions or online banking entities can be hard to beat.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just spoken to lotus about my spec, not as delayed as I was expected was August last time round now sept)
However I asked if they were honouring the 5.9% deal and the answer was no, it was now 6.9% due to emissions apparently

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just spoken to lotus about my spec, not as delayed as I was expected was August last time round now sept)
However I asked if they were honouring the 5.9% deal and the answer was no, it was now 6.9% due to emissions apparently
its down to the cost of borrowing money being higher now as the BOE as increased its interest rates - nothing to do with emmisions

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The On the road price has gone up because of the Emissions being more than what was expected.
Finance increase is down to our economy being a bag of w%nk right now.

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

I do wish lotus comms would stop spouting such utter bollocks… it’s really starting to ^%#} me off

🤬

vision

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I do wish lotus comms would stop spouting such utter bollocks… it’s really starting to ^%#} me off

🤬
Oh well, I'm still paying the increase to get my car. I find its always tight arses with loads of money who moan constantly. Bottom line is you get a new car and you just pass the increase on when you sell. Looking at Evora / Exige prices on the market some are more than what Im paying including interest?

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emissions. Made me laugh.
Still, this will get worse... both interest rates and emissions stringency.
I have said it many times that I think the V6 run will end sooner than most believe.

vision

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Emissions. Made me laugh.
Still, this will get worse... both interest rates and emissions stringency.
I have said it many times that I think the V6 run will end sooner than most believe.
still getting it