• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Eletre Reveal - Live Stream on NOW

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hmm... Not sure how I feel about it yet.

I actually enjoyed the buildup, the one-take walk through history and the show. All great things from a marketing perspective. And there in lies the rub. I'm starting to feel like that's all we get with Lotus: marketing. There's a saying I heard somewhere that "those who can't engineer, resort to marketing."

It starts with the Emira, for which I had two deposits with an FE already in the books. All the talk about aerodynamics this and whatever that. Talk. All car companies work on aero... Lotus isn't unique. But where's the data?

It bugs me that Lotus talks about 'porosity' and great aero and renders of aero... to prove what exactly? What function does that porosity serve? I wonder if it's just styling and that's all. How about some hard data? If you've spent all this time on aero, presumably in the wind-tunnel, not a design studio (hah, yeah right!).... give us the specs. When Mercedes released the EQS, they didn't talk about aero this and marketing that. No, they said: "With a cd figure from 0.202 the EQS is the world's most aerodynamic production car."

I want to know the drag coefficient! What is it, Lotus? They advertised a range of 600km (372 miles). Perfect, why not say that during the unveiling? That's one of the most important EV specs. I'll never buy an EV with <300mile rage. The jury is still out on the exterior. No way this thing looks as good/aggressive as the Urus to me. Something about its proportions doesn't seem right, but I'm not a designer, I can't put my finger on it. Something about that ass isn't right. The wheel arches and proportions of the wheels to the car. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm going to keep my deposit until more info comes out. The interior really looks luxurious and innovative. Love it, except for those two "pillows" in front of the driver/passenger.

Here's my configuration as of today:

1648602152013.png

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It bugs me that Lotus talks about 'porosity' and great aero and renders of aero... to prove what exactly? What function does that porosity serve? I wonder if it's just styling and that's all. How about some hard data? If you've spent all this time on aero, presumably in the wind-tunnel, not a design studio (hah, yeah right!).... give us the specs. When Mercedes released the EQS, they didn't talk about aero this and marketing that. No, they said: "With a cd figure from 0.202 the EQS is the world's most aerodynamic production car."

I want to know the drag coefficient...

Keep in mind there's a bunch of different factors involved in aerodynamics. One of the projects in my engineering masters was sampling blunt-ended vehicles in wind tunnels (a great shape for that was the old Honda CRX). Cars are subject to lift (being wing-shaped), drag (from the negative wind pressure), turbulence (from non-laminar surfaces), and something called the Coanda effect -- the tendency for fluids to follow a smooth shape.

I reckon the latter is used to great effect in these new Lotus designs. Encouraging the slipstream to stick to the body is a huge advantage, as it reduces downstream turbulence. So just presenting a single drag coefficient number doesn't really give the whole story.

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hmm... Not sure how I feel about it yet.

I actually enjoyed the buildup, the one-take walk through history and the show. All great things from a marketing perspective. And there in lies the rub. I'm starting to feel like that's all we get with Lotus: marketing. There's a saying I heard somewhere that "those who can't engineer, resort to marketing."

It starts with the Emira, for which I had two deposits with an FE already in the books. All the talk about aerodynamics this and whatever that. Talk. All car companies work on aero... Lotus isn't unique. But where's the data?

I want to know the drag coefficient! What is it, Lotus? They advertised a range of 600km (372 miles). Perfect, why not say that during the unveiling? That's one of the most important EV specs. I'll never buy an EV with <300mile rage. The jury is still out on the exterior. No way this thing looks as good/aggressive as the Urus to me. Something about its proportions doesn't seem right, but I'm not a designer, I can't put my finger on it. Something about that ass isn't right. The wheel arches and proportions of the wheels to the car. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm going to keep my deposit until more info comes out. The interior really looks luxurious and innovative. Love it, except for those two "pillows" in front of the driver/passenger.

Here's my configuration as of today:

View attachment 4200
I think it's the cars length that makes the design seem a little odd. The Volvo C40 shows what I think are better looking proportions
1648603987804.png

ayoyo

Reaction score
It looks like Eletre will be priced higher than the Model X. Not a good sign if you want to go mainstream. I thought the Emira was a good move to make it more affordable to general public. But bill the Eletre as a hyper SUV? Not sure if it is a good move. Also, I don't see the continuity of design with Emira and Evija. It is just not a eye catching design.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I have a model Y arriving in May to join my Emira in June. If this Eletre was available earlier, I would consider canceling the Model Y order. Rather large difference in price,, almost double. need to wait and see

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well for a suv there is no way to directly apply design philosophy of a sports car but to adapt and appropriate. In the case of Eletre I think it needs a metalic color with significant travel to show the pinch and curve on surfaces. For these curves are there to hide the fact it's still a huge fat behemoth of a vehicle so it needs everybit of visual drama to guide viewer attention away from it. That's why the yellow leaked pictures were recieved so poorly around this forum but the silver one changed this.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Without a charging network at least half as robust or easy to use as Tesla's, sadly no other EV is practical (for me) yet. It's a shame, I would much prefer the superior build quality and styling of another premium brand, but I simply can't justify spending this kind of money if I can't take it more than 200 miles from home without major inconveniences, regardless of the luxury, performance, styling, etc.

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well for a suv there is no way to directly apply design philosophy of a sports car but to adapt and appropriate.
Imo Callum did a fantastic job of applying the Jag design philosophy when he oversaw the F pace ...to date still one of the best looking/sexy SUV on the road

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Imo Callum did a fantastic job of applying the Jag design philosophy when he oversaw the F pace ...to date still one of the best looking/sexy SUV on the road
Ian Callum is indeed the design giant of our era. However F pace is more of a adaptation from Jag's sedan line ie XE and XF, not the F type of that time. Aston Martin DBX is my prime example of good execution in adaptation of SUV from sports car design. However lotus DNA is too oriented around nimble and sporty which in my perspective won't translate too favorablely on a 5 meter long SUV. I think we will see this design language returning for later electric sedans as well.

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ian Callum is indeed the design giant of our era. However F pace is more of a adaptation from Jag's sedan line ie XE and XF, not the F type of that time. Aston Martin DBX is my prime example of good execution in adaptation of SUV from sports car design. However lotus DNA is too oriented around nimble and sporty which in my perspective won't translate too favorablely on a 5 meter long SUV. I think we will see this design language returning for later electric sedans as well.
Beg to slightly differ-- i do see f type influence in terms of strong haunch lines, taut surfaces, and that rear. Def more consistent with the sedans that I agree. But the point being when you see the F pace without a badge car nuts can guess it's a Jag.
Agree on the DBX-- imo thus far the best designed superSUV

EM33RA

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Yet it has been an extremely poor selling suv in Australia…

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Absolutely it’s has been a big flop in many countries and the back just looks terrible in my opinion.
Too expensive when compared to Porsche Cayenne.
I like DBX but too much money.
The Eletre looks like good value against comparative Cayenne which is where it needs to pitch I think

Jon_N

Emira Fan
Reaction score
And what is so special about Urus? It's a car that have VW developed platform, in Audi interior/electronics and Porsche powertrain......

If we gonna speak about DBX or upcoming Purosangue then yeah Lotus can't compare, since they have their own platform + impressive powertrain (in case of DBX heavily modified from Mercedes), and they have as a luxurious interior as Bentley unlike Urus that looks like 80K car interior
Well that’s all personal opinion, but you can’t compare a combustion engine vehicle with an electric one is my point tbh.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think Im going against the grain here, but I think it looks like a Chinese attempt (guess it kind of is) of an SUV, I'd say Hyundai but they're making some nice looking things at the moment so that would be unfair. Personal opinion it looks fine in the grey, generic modern SUV which is overstyled, no clean lines just folds and creases everywhere. In the yellow its one of the least cohesive / attractive cars I've seen in a long while. Interior looks stunning however, beautifully done inside.
None of it matters to me ultimately, I wont be buying an EV or SUV in my lifetime. But the Emira is the last 'Lotus', we're now into a future of 'just a.n.other car'.

TRX250EX

Reaction score
Well that’s all personal opinion, but you can’t compare a combustion engine vehicle with an electric one is my point tbh.
Well I agree on that usually but in terms of weight even they are comparable, now Lotus didn't say how much it weighs because there's dual and Tri motor setup with the latter doing close to 1000hp, but they did say it's just over 2000KG, Urus is 2200KG so this in my opinion is a win for Lotus in my books, unless that just over is 400-500KG which I doubt...... So Urus is not really a light car and overall Eletre is actually bigger in dimensions if I'm not mistaken.....

But yeah I wish it had combustion engine, but think about it which engine they can use? V6 won't work, I4 not suitable, Mercedes V8 already used in DBX also, theh don't have an engine suitable for it.