Lateral G's after day of driving

wuster

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Finally made my way out to the mountains for a drive, would love to hear or see some other people's lateral G graph after a drive in the mountains or track. I noticed I had a very hard time keeping up with 4 other porches, granted, they were a GT4 RS, 2x GT3 Tourings, and a 911 Turbo 4S. But couldn't keep up on the turns or the straightaways...

Ended up pulling 1.2G's laterally and 0.7G straightaway and 1G braking. Thoughts? Other people's experiences?

1717745414718.jpeg

1717745429562.jpeg

Seen a little more, 1.6 lateral. ( Tour on goodyears). Maybe the Sport and Cup 2's can do better.
IMG_7417.jpg

You’re playing with the top dogs. I would expect the GT4RS to have the highest lateral gs. I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable testing the limits on mountain roads. I expect a talented driver would roast any of those Porsches driven correctly. But for the average Joe not surprised. No offense if you are that talented driver. 1.6 is a lot!

Wow... 1.6G, good to know.
You’re playing with the top dogs. I would expect the GT4RS to have the highest lateral gs. I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable testing the limits on mountain roads. I expect a talented driver would roast any of those Porsches driven correctly. But for the average Joe not surprised. No offense if you are that talented driver. 1.6 is a lot!

Agree with all your points. mountain roads can be tricky, definitely didn't want to push all the way to limit.

But good to know still within safe margin. Definitely was not squealing yet.

Wow... 1.6G, good to know.

Agree with all your points. mountain roads can be tricky, definitely didn't want to push all the way to limit.

But good to know still within safe margin. Definitely was not squealing yet.
To max out the gs you want to be in a high speed corner with proper weight shifting and on the edge of grip (squealing). Please don’t do that on mountain roads! 😇

I think 1.1g with Goodyears on public roads is more than enough to have fun.

I wouldn't put much credence in the max g the meter is showing. Those are just spikes from hitting bumps. This car probably can't get over 1.2 g on the cup 2s and that would be in a corner with a decent banking. You need significant aero or a full blown race tire to hit 1.6. Either way, please don't do this on public roads. Go to a track day or autocross if you wish to test the limits of your car.

I wouldn't put much credence in the max g the meter is showing. Those are just spikes from hitting bumps. This car probably can't get over 1.2 g on the cup 2s and that would be in a corner with a decent banking. You need significant aero or a full blown race tire to hit 1.6. Either way, please don't do this on public roads. Go to a track day or autocross if you wish to test the limits of your car.

I was just thinking, 1.6 feels pretty high. For me, anything close to 1.0 is "fun zone". However, with this added telemetry data, I totally get the curiosity to see what you can get.

To max out the gs you want to be in a high speed corner with proper weight shifting and on the edge of grip (squealing). Please don’t do that on mountain roads! 😇
I won't disagree. I used to record laps with the g meter and that's often the case.

On public roads I've found it be just the opposite. In the hilly twisties, I can repeatedly hit 1.1 with the Goodyears at slower speeds with no drama since it's easy to control a little slide. But no way will I hit 1.0 g on a long sweeper on a public highway. Way to many things to go wrong (bumpy pavement, gravel, ditches). I don't think it's a physics thing, just awareness of my mortality. ;)

I won't disagree. I used to record laps with the g meter and that's often the case.

On public roads I've found it be just the opposite. In the hilly twisties, I can repeatedly hit 1.1 with the Goodyears at slower speeds with no drama since it's easy to control a little slide. But no way will I hit 1.0 g on a long sweeper on a public highway. Way to many things to go wrong (bumpy pavement, gravel, ditches). I don't think it's a physics thing, just awareness of my mortality. ;)
I'm a wimp and actually don't even like long sweepers on the track. I'd rather drive aggressively in the slower stuff. The high speed stuff weirds me out. One of our tracks in SoCal has a very long fast sweeper and the fast guys are going FAST. quickly turns from fun to sketchy. And I hate walls...

This engine and it's unbaffled wet sump would die well before we hit 1.6Gs even with aero and slicks :D

I think I hit about 1.2 indicated lateral Gs at the track a few weeks ago. Touring trim with Goodyear F1s.

I'm a wimp and actually don't even like long sweepers on the track. I'd rather drive aggressively in the slower stuff. The high speed stuff weirds me out. One of our tracks in SoCal has a very long fast sweeper and the fast guys are going FAST. quickly turns from fun to sketchy. And I hate walls...
Sounds like the Roval at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.

Sounds like the Roval at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.
I don’t go there for this reason. I’m referring to Big Willow turn 8 and 9. Claims to be the fastest turn west of the Mississippi. You have to nail the entry speed and weight balance and know your cars limit to get it right. I’m ok not maxing my times 😅

I don’t go there for this reason. I’m referring to Big Willow turn 8 and 9. Claims to be the fastest turn west of the Mississippi. You have to nail the entry speed and weight balance and know your cars limit to get it right. I’m ok not maxing my times 😅
That's a very tricky section. You have to hit the turning points or you'll go wide for sure. The problem with Big Willow is you can screw up your car big time if you go off, especially climbing the hill and right after.

That's a very tricky section. You have to hit the turning points or you'll go wide for sure. The problem with Big Willow is you can screw up your car big time if you go off, especially climbing the hill and right after.
I like the hill! It is fun though trying to hit the apex and use the right visual markers.

I like the hill! It is fun though trying to hit the apex and use the right visual markers.
Coming down off the hill it's easy to underestimate your speed and brake too late for that left hander, then be out of position to accelerate over the blind rise. It doesn't look like much at first, but it's more technical than you realize.

This is my screen after run through the mountains earlier in the week from Ascoli Piceno to Rome. Car was brilliant, but a couple of guys in the group who race were sceptical, and thought there was a hint of ‘flatter the buyer’ in the figures the car was showing. There is 992 GT3 touring in the group, and I swapped with the owner for yesterday’s leg. Having driven it, I wouldn’t expect an Emira to keep up, especially manual Emira versus PDK which is ruthless with that GT3 engine. Having said that, the owner felt that the Emira was more fun, and given that he’s driving in LMP3 at Le Mans next week I’ll take that!

Attachments

• IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 13
This is my screen after run through the mountains earlier in the week from Ascoli Piceno to Rome. Car was brilliant, but a couple of guys in the group who race were sceptical, and thought there was a hint of ‘flatter the buyer’ in the figures the car was showing. There is 992 GT3 touring in the group, and I swapped with the owner for yesterday’s leg. Having driven it, I wouldn’t expect an Emira to keep up, especially manual Emira versus PDK which is ruthless with that GT3 engine. Having said that, the owner felt that the Emira was more fun, and given that he’s driving in LMP3 at Le Mans next week I’ll take that!
Nice! 💪

I’ve also been told by a Porsche owner that the Emira is more fun to drive. I would definitely believe it when compared to a PDK GT3. They’re amazingly competent cars but that doesn’t always translate to enjoyment.