Late to the party, but hello from San Diego, CA!

Reaction score
Hi all! I recently found this forum via Google search. Glad to see that it exists!

I'm a bit late to the party. I didn't even know the Emira existed until a few months ago when I saw Chris Harris review it on Top Gear! I'm still not sure how it flew under the radar all this time considering I subscribe to car mags and various car-related YouTube channels, but here we are.

As you can see from my username, I currently own a 2013 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG coupe (pics attached) and a 2017 BMW X5. I've owned the AMG since late 2016. Bought it as a CPO and still totally love it. Today, it has only 29k miles on the odometer and it recently got a 60k miles service at the local dealer which included new spark plugs. Runs flawlessly, looks new, and sounds great! Zero regrets! Until I saw the Emira, I had zero plans of ever selling it. Now, curiosity has gotten the best of me. I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

Earlier this month, I reached out to my local Lotus dealer and got the paperwork needed to make a fully-refundable deposit of $3,000 (which I'll be doing in the next few weeks). While I am personally quite torn at the moment between keeping the C63 or pulling the trigger on an Emira, I guess time will tell.

I'll really need to see it, sit in it, and drive it to know for sure. I've watched countless videos, but it's not the same. And while I originally opted for the TOyota 6-cylinder and poo-pooed the AMG 4-cylinder because, well, it's a FOUR CYLINDER, I'm now leaning towards that engine because the sales rep informed me that it's heavily detuned, comes with DCT, and of course, "AMG, baby"!

I do have another concern: The Emira is a real attention getter. I like my C63 because it blends in with the other cars out there. I have this internal fear that if I leave it parked somewhere, some idiot is going to door ding it or even intentionally damage it out of spite. Anyone else worry about this too? I mean, how do all the exotic car owners cope with that, or do they even care???

Anyway, that's pretty much it for me. Will continue to peruse this forum to see what else I can learn and to help me decide.

Cheers from So Cal!

Attachments

• 20220521_124007.jpg
    20220521_124007.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220521_124412~2.jpg
    20220521_124412~2.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20181018_121639737_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181018_121639737_HDR.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 25

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I like my C63 because it blends in with the other cars out there. I have this internal fear that if I leave it parked somewhere, some idiot is going to door ding it or even intentionally damage it out of spite. Anyone else worry about this too? I mean, how do all the exotic car owners cope with that, or do they even care???

Welcome! Glad you found us. :cool:

The C63 AMG is such a great car. I almost got one myself, but decided to just live vicariously through a friend who bought one when they first came out.

To answer your question about blending in... the Emira will absolutely stand out! Even in it's darker colors (Shadow Grey and Dark Verdant) it has an undeniable supercar presence. Very wide and exotic looking. I guess it all depends what part of the city you're parking in where you may have to worry about vandalism or haters just messing with the car. With a $100k car, I'd suggest parking it away from others (and never like a douche parking diagonally across three handicapped spots, which is just asking for problems) and maybe not leave it unattended too long if you have to go somewhere. Hell, I do that with my $30k GTI! And I even try to grab window seats at restaurants so I can gaze lovingly at my freshly detailed car. ;)

Another good option is investing in a dashcam that monitors 24/7. The Emira actually has a USB port on the rear view mirror to easily plug one in!

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Welcome!

If you are a big HP/TQ person, and coming from a C63, you may be disappointed with the Emira. Baby AMG is probably a safer choice, but it may suffer in the exhaust note department (none of us have heard the I4 in the Emira yet). I have driven a C63S and they have a really mean exhaust.

I once read that you can’t ding an Emira body panel due to the composite material that it is made out of. I have never experimented it and don’t want to volunteer either. I suppose it may crack if the impact is severe enough.
Note: Somehow a ding sounds so much better all of a sudden.

As for negative attention, I avoid parking in questionable areas. Most people don’t even care about it TBH. Your biggest fans will be kids.

OP
S
Reaction score
Welcome!

If you are a big HP/TQ person, and coming from a C63, you may be disappointed with the Emira. Baby AMG is probably a safer choice, but it may suffer in the exhaust note department (none of us have heard the I4 in the Emira yet). I have driven a C63S and they have a really mean exhaust.

I once read that you can’t ding an Emira body panel due to the composite material that it is made out of. I have never experimented it and don’t want to volunteer either. I suppose it may crack if the impact is severe enough.
Note: Somehow a ding sounds so much better all of a sudden.

As for negative attention, I avoid parking in questionable areas. Most people don’t even care about it TBH. Your biggest fans will be kids.
Hi DaaS. To be honest, I've treated my C63 like a baby and tend to drive rather conservatively. In the 6 years of ownership, I have never peeled out once. Heck, I have yet to try the "RS" (Race Start) mode! Probably because I'm on open public roads all the time. Maybe someday! That said, I do love the exhaust notes on the C63. I have a silly little thing I do where I always start it in the garage with the car door or window OPEN so I can hear it. :D

Good to know about the Emira body panels being made of composite materials. Come to think of it, my 2010 BMW 328i couple had front fenders that were composite.

OP
S
Reaction score
FYI, the West Coast Lotus Meet is in San Diego this year! They’re doing a hill climb up Mt. Palomar, a concours etc. Come on out and meet some Lotus folks.

Www.westcoastlotusmeet.com
Thanks for the heads-up. My local dealer informed me of this. I kind of balked at the registration fees and decided to pass. Is it required for non-Lotus owners/attendees? Is the Hill Climb limited to Lotus cars only? Need more info/details.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. My local dealer informed me of this. I kind of balked at the registration fees and decided to pass. Is it required for non-Lotus owners/attendees? Is the Hill Climb limited to Lotus cars only? Need more info/details.

If you want to participate with a vehicle the fees apply, and the winery etc is included. But you just show up on the concours for example, that’s a public event.