• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Komo-tec announces delivery of first two GT4 Emira race cars

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus tuner Komo-tec has just announced delivery of the first two Emira GT4 race cars and their intentions to race in 2022.

This is fantastic news for Komo-tec, Lotus, race enthusiasts and future Emira owners.

938DFF1A-D9F0-4447-A574-BBBF81396C67.png

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Lotus tuner Komo-tec has just announced delivery of the first two Emira GT4 race cars and their intentions to race in 2022.

This is fantastic news for Komo-tec, Lotus, race enthusiasts and future Emira owners.

View attachment 2123
Great news. With your knowledge Tom would a potential Komo-tec upgrade typically void a Lotus warranty or not? Can't imagine I will be rushing to do it but just interesting to discuss tuning options during the wait!

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes, it will void the Lotus warranty on the areas Komotec touch and anything that could be considered as consequently affected by the upgrade. But it usually won't void the whole warranty.

So if you had a Komotec upgrade to the engine and then the gearbox failed Lotus wouldn't cover it. But if the windscreen wiper motor failed then Lotus would replace it. Komotec usually do a 12 month warranty on their products. But you could get caught in a grey area with neither being responsible - like the gearbox example. I think if there was an issue affected a number of unmodified cars then you'd be able to demonstrate it was a known issue and wasn't due to the modification.

Komotec have a good reputation and I've not heard of any major problems with their upgrades. Many of them are track- or race-proven. Lotus are also usually good on warranty claims. The starter motor on my Evora failed outside warranty but at what I felt was a low mileage. Bell & Colvill persuaded Lotus to replace the part free of charge and I covered the labour. There was an assembly problem with a batch of early Evora clutches and Lotus called them all in to dealers and fixed them under warranty.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
So about how much does this upgrade cost?

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
For a brand new model, even though there is a strong connection to Evora, I’m not sure I’d have the stones to make mods that would void my warranty.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
So about how much does this upgrade cost?
It’ll depend what options they offer. As a guide there are 3 options for the Evora 400/410 to add 30-70hp and they cost EUR 1.6-6.3k

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is about what it costs for HP/dollar from most top tier tuners that have close relationships with the factory, such as Renntech for Mercedes. I don't know if Komotec is such a tuner but if they are, this is not a surprise.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
This is about what it costs for HP/dollar from most top tier tuners that have close relationships with the factory, such as Renntech for Mercedes. I don't know if Komotec is such a tuner but if they are, this is not a surprise.
If it was Lotus supported for Warranty purposes like ABT with Seat and Mountune with Ford etc fair enough

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If it was Lotus supported for Warranty purposes like ABT with Seat and Mountune with Ford etc fair enough
I fully agree. I would be happy to pay extra 6.000 Euros for a Lotus Warranty supported 470 hp Emira.
In my case, I think I might wait three years and after that do the upgrade if Lotus and Komo-tec don't develop before that a proper cooperation that gives us confidence so that we don't loose the Original Warranty
Not so sure for 30 hp single remap @1.600 Euros though.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That would be ideal... but even Renntech is not supported by a Mercedes warranty.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Tuning on the Toyota V6 isn't cheap, partly because it's a very limited market. Some people are happy to pay tens of thousands to get to 500hp with their V6 in a race Exige but for a road car I question if it's really worth thousands to get a few tens of hp.

On the Evora a few mods to headers, cats, exhaust, air intake will get 10s of hp but will you really notice on the road? You'll probably notice the change in the noise rather than the extra power, and that's an OK reason for modifying too.

I've been on road trips with a mix of 280, 345, 410 and 430hp Evoras and there's never any sense of the lower powered cars not being able to keep up, even on derestricted roads like the Isle of Man. Of course you'd notice it on track but on the road it's more about how fast people are prepared to drive and the handling of the cars than outright power.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Tuning on the Toyota V6 isn't cheap, partly because it's a very limited market. Some people are happy to pay tens of thousands to get to 500hp with their V6 in a race Exige but for a road car I question if it's really worth thousands to get a few tens of hp.

On the Evora a few mods to headers, cats, exhaust, air intake will get 10s of hp but will you really notice on the road? You'll probably notice the change in the noise rather than the extra power, and that's an OK reason for modifying too.

I've been on road trips with a mix of 280, 345, 410 and 430hp Evoras and there's never any sense of the lower powered cars not being able to keep up, even on derestricted roads like the Isle of Man. Of course you'd notice it on track but on the road it's more about how fast people are prepared to drive and the handling of the cars than outright power.
Spot on about how fast people are prepared to drive. I had a Golf GTD behind me in my M3 last night, I was doing 35mph in a 30 he wanted to go much much faster and must have been nearer to 60mph when he finally overtook with some youths in the back. Even if my M3 had 500bhp i would have been still overtaken.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If we are talking power: I‘m wondering about a detail I’ve seen in many videos no one talks about. The demo that is running on the infotainment screen of the show car that states some “real time“ performance figures always says 480 Bhp on full throttle. Does anybody have an idea why?

CF8D3CF5-B178-406B-9E52-ACFB2560B66B.png

Last edited:

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
If we are talking power: I‘m wondering about a detail I’ve seen in many videos no one talks about. The demo that is running on the infotainment screen of the show car that states some “real time“ performance figures always says 480 Bhp on full throttle. Does anybody have an idea why?

View attachment 2534
Perhaps like your speedo says 200mph..... but your car will not do it ? :)

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well the graphic is showing the power the car actually delivers in that very moment (In theory). I know that it‘s just an illustration of the graphics, but why did they choose to show 480 bhp knowing that the car will only have 400. Doesn‘t make sense to me. Maybe it‘s an easter egg to show the power of the final edition, but this would be a bit too early. Especially if you consider that the final edition is planned for 2028 (roughly) and that only the AMG engine will be available by that time.

andrew6382

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Well the graphic is showing the power the car actually delivers in that very moment (In theory). I know that it‘s just an illustration of the graphics, but why did they choose to show 480 bhp knowing that the car will only have 400. Doesn‘t make sense to me. Maybe it‘s an easter egg to show the power of the final edition, but this would be a bit too early. Especially if you consider that the final edition is planned for 2028 (roughly) and that only the AMG engine will be available by that time.
I see what you are saying now.... dont no .... maybe just messing with you ? ;):eek::)