Just saw this

Just driving to pick parents up and saw this. Nearly crashed. How, what, when, why and lots more. Any input. Various ideas gone through my mind. Obviously registration possible gives it away

Attachments

• 51C66A3A-4FDB-44AC-A6C7-4D789B3260F4.jpeg
    51C66A3A-4FDB-44AC-A6C7-4D789B3260F4.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 2,584

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I think the wheel gap disparity is the result of the angle of the shot. You can't see all the top of the tire on the front so it gives the illusion there's more gap than the rear where you can see more of the top of the tire. They look both the same to me.

Something else I've wondered about... the standard factory wheels we see on the Emira don't look like 20's to me, they look like 19's. Plus the offset seems to be different between the two wheel types.

Look at the difference between these two DV cars. The one in China has the forged wheel, and the one at Hethel has the standard cast wheel. It looks like the forged wheel sits out farther and fills the wheel well a bit more than the cast wheel does.

19925D14-769F-49D5-B91F-724FB659363B copy.jpeg

Imagen PNG copy.jpg

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
OMG! Now is that amazing to see one in the wild. But also that is the best photo I've seen of the rear. I've always slightly worried about it. But that looks great

The rear is my "least" favorite angle of the car. Just feel like more could have been done back there. I don't dislike it at all but I don't love it like the rest of the car.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think the wheel gap disparity is the result of the angle of the shot. You can't see all the top of the tire on the front so it gives the illusion there's more gap than the rear where you can see more of the top of the tire. They look both the same to me.

Something else I've wondered about... the standard factory wheels we see on the Emira don't look like 20's to me, they look like 19's. Plus the offset seems to be different between the two wheel types.

Look at the difference between these two DV cars. The one in China has the forged wheel, and the one at Hethel has the standard cast wheel. It looks like the forged wheel sits out farther and fills the wheel well a bit more than the cast wheel does.
I would love to be wrong, but I suspect the China showroom demo car is another threaded-shock prototype which they've lowered to look good. And I disagree that the discrepancy between front/rear is down to camera angle, but without a way to actually measure them we can't be sure. It just seems really consistent that on all the latest batch of almost-final-production cars from the Hethel dealer event and leaked factory photos, the rear is higher than the grey dynamic prototype, and the front is MUCH higher. Higher even than the VW econobox sitting behind it. But again, I'd love to be wrong here.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The China car is a show car like the Seneca Blue one. It’s not production height or spacing.

KusaKusa

Reaction score
It never really struck me how much I love the side mirror shape and mirror stalk.

It's just so good.

View attachment 5407
Are those the frameless side mirrors that Volvo owns a patent on? It seems like the tech sharing or general collaboration between Geely companies very close, vs them putting on an image of several separate companies with separate engineering groups. For example, the Lotus Evija had an interior feature where the screens would dim and lighten based on tracking your eyes to see if you're looking at them. The Polestar Precept concept has the same tech for such a minor feature.

2Lotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Are those the frameless side mirrors that Volvo owns a patent on? It seems like the tech sharing or general collaboration between Geely companies very close, vs them putting on an image of several separate companies with separate engineering groups. For example, the Lotus Evija had an interior feature where the screens would dim and lighten based on tracking your eyes to see if you're looking at them. The Polestar Precept concept has the same tech for such a minor feature.
Volvo uses a frameless interior rear view mirror. They may have a patent on a frameless outside mirror but it's not used in a production vehicle that I know of.
Either way I like the look of the outside mirror's on the Emira!

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It's not possible that they've got these cars rolling around with a set of 19" Evora front wheels is it?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It's not possible that they've got these cars rolling around with a set of 19" Evora front wheels is it?
That's what I'm wondering. Whether the China car is lowered or not, the wheel seems to fill out the wheel well more than the standard cast wheels do. Do we know if the standard cast wheels are actually 20's or not? Are the optional forged wheels actually the 20's?

kitkat

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
That's what I'm wondering. Whether the China car is lowered or not, the wheel seems to fill out the wheel well more than the standard cast wheels do. Do we know if the standard cast wheels are actually 20's or not? Are the optional forged wheels actually the 20's?
A jump from 19” to 20” wouldn’t account for it — I’m fairly certain the prototype/show cars simply have the spring perch on the lowest Bilstein circlip placement or something like a threaded sleeve for the spring perch.

Something like this, this is a 2” diameter Bilstein damper body sleeve with a 2.5” ID spring perch.

Attachments

• 33763F29-0768-4998-9629-5DFBBC897B9E.png
    33763F29-0768-4998-9629-5DFBBC897B9E.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
A jump from 19” to 20” wouldn’t account for it — I’m fairly certain the prototype/show cars simply have the spring perch on the lowest Bilstein circlip placement or something like a threaded sleeve for the spring perch.
You're just talking about wheel gap which is usually the gap at the top. I'm talking about the gap around the entire wheel, which would not be something you could set by lowering the spring. The forged wheels look slightly bigger in the wheel well than the cast wheels do. If they sit out farther, that would be one way that could happen. That's controlled by wheel offset.

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great to see my spec of Seneca with black wheels in the wild. Looks fantastic :cool:

That ride height is baffling though - it does look very high at the front. No idea why Lotus would have cars running around with a non-standard ride height at this stage. On the other hand: 1) Russell Carr talked from an early stage about how important was for the car to have a hunkered down look, with the bodywork shrink wrapped around the mechanicals. I can't imagine Lotus would allow his great design work to be blighted by an excessive wheel arch gap when it goes into production. 2) As I mentioned on the factory tour thread, I had a quick word with one of the ride and handling engineers when he was taking out a camouflaged test car at the factory last week with Dan Peck in the passenger seat(the guy from the Harry's Garage vid). This looked much lower at the front, and he said it was at the production ride height. These guys should know!

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great to see my spec of Seneca with black wheels in the wild. Looks fantastic :cool:

That ride height is baffling though - it does look very high at the front. No idea why Lotus would have cars running around with a non-standard ride height at this stage. On the other hand: 1) Russell Carr talked from an early stage about how important was for the car to have a hunkered down look, with the bodywork shrink wrapped around the mechanicals. I can't imagine Lotus would allow his great design work to be blighted by an excessive wheel arch gap when it goes into production. 2) As I mentioned on the factory tour thread, I had a quick word with one of the ride and handling engineers when he was taking out a camouflaged test car at the factory last week with Dan Peck in the passenger seat(the guy from the Harry's Garage vid). This looked much lower at the front, and he said it was at the production ride height. These guys should know!

The front wheels aren't parked straight ahead in that image - they're angled to the right.....

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just driving to pick parents up and saw this. Nearly crashed. How, what, when, why and lots more. Any input. Various ideas gone through my mind. Obviously registration possible gives it away
I have to say, that looks much better with the black wheels than I thought it would! 👌

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
What so your telling me you didn’t knock on every door to find the driver to interrogate him / her on how the beauty rides. When I was buying a I8 guy in same town had one so I blatantly knocked on his door ( well electric gates ) and he actually entertained me and we discussed the car for ages ( he probably 💭 I was a nutter but entertained me never the less )

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Volvo uses a frameless interior rear view mirror. They may have a patent on a frameless outside mirror but it's not used in a production vehicle that I know of.
Either way I like the look of the outside mirror's on the Emira!
I had a polestar 2 with frameless side mirrors. They're already on cars. The whole mirror unit moves rather than just the glass as in normal cars. It's all Geely, so who knows if these end up the same. The steering wheel buttons I've noticed are shared with Volvo/ polestar already.

BeHappy

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So the stance from back look great nice and wide