• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

JasonRs 2023 Seneca Lotus Emira 6 Speed

OP
JasonR

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm wondering if you have air in the line? The brakes I drove felt quite sharp and stong enough to stop a train.
Definitely a possibility. Brakes are definitely bed in, they just don’t feel as good as the test car I drove. Nowhere near in fact

OP
JasonR

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The seat belts are normal and meant to be twisted. I had this conversation with the dealer too and they’re all like that. It’s actually quite useful because the seatbelt rests on the seat side bolster nicely. I’m sure the brakes will bed in and improve. Also depends on the last car you’ve just driven too.
They’re definitely not meant to be like that. Just because they are all like that doesn’t mean it’s correct.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
They’re definitely not meant to be like that. Just because they are all like that doesn’t mean it’s correct.
Would be interested in what outcome when you take it to the dealer and the reason why they do it this way.

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Would be interested in what outcome when you take it to the dealer and the reason why they do it this way.
My brakes are not sharp at all and a complete contrast to the two demo cars I drove. Im only 200miles in so hoping they will improve as they bed in.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
My brakes were super sharp and grabby when new, especially at low speeds. After bedding in, pedal feel got better and easier to use. I won‘t bet that yours will behave the other way around.

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Agree on the seatbelts, no other car has seat belts that way. Also noticed the tag on the seatbelts (near the base) face outwards which suggests that it's the wrong way round. Someone on the forum mentioned that it's an easy DIY fix though.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Agree on the seatbelts, no other car has seat belts that way. Also noticed the tag on the seatbelts (near the base) face outwards which suggests that it's the wrong way round. Someone on the forum mentioned that it's an easy DIY fix though.
Dealer confirmed it is meant to be like this. Rightly or wrongly, why is it twisted? There must be a reason. Im just curious, doesn’t bother me as long it is correct. By the way, the label faces inwards at the base of the seat.

Attachments

• CB3BEA7D-4B0F-4ABB-9D14-20B81789CF88.jpeg
    CB3BEA7D-4B0F-4ABB-9D14-20B81789CF88.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 101

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Dealer confirmed it is meant to be like this. Rightly or wrongly, why is it twisted? There must be a reason. Im just curious, doesn’t bother me as long it is correct. By the way, the label faces inwards at the base of the seat.
IF you lay the seat belt over the side of the seat like that, it looks nice, but the belts are NOT supposed to be twisted. Apparently it's set that way for convenience, but there should be a slide keeper on the belt that lets you keep the blade up higher on the belt so you can reach over and grab it. I can't tell from the photo, but is there a keeper just under the blade?

Last edited:

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ah so that means the one I saw was genuinely twisted? Haha I am confused now as the one in the picture also looks twisted to me.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
IF you lay the seat belt over the side of the seat like that, it looks nice, but the belts are NOT supposed to be twisted. Apparently it's set that way for convenience, but there should be a slide keeper on the belt that lets you keep the blade up higher on the belt so you can reach over and grab it. I can't tell from the photo, but is there a keeper just under the blade?
There is a keeper on the belt. It’s like a little plastic button that stops the blade sliding down the belt.
This may be something to do with Lotus evolution. If you look at an Evora it also has the twist but I think that’s to do with Evora having a slider bar at the bottom to allow access to the rear seats. This seems to have carried over to Emira but obviously there is no slider bar on that.
Despite the twist looking not quite right, I have found by ignoring the aesthetics, it works perfectly fine.

OP
JasonR

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Im finding it’s twisted when clipped up and the twist ends up on my shoulder or chest which isn’t the most comfortable! Not the biggest issue but just wouldn’t want it like that in a crash.
Either way just to update I contacted customer care who just said contact Stratton motor company (called them Lotus Norwich which is wrong) either way it’s booked in next Tuesday to get all the niggles sorted I mentioned above. They were really helpful there honestly so hoping for good things!

Other than what I’ve said I love the car though. It truly is brilliant and makes me smile all the time. Only thing left to sort is PPF. I’ve seen some reports on liquid wrap (apparently it’s not plastidip but looks the same to me) interested in peoples thoughts to this

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I wonder if the seat belts retract quicker so they don’t get trapped in the door jam.

Attachments

• D50F6A32-114A-4DA7-8743-EAFBC4A920CD.jpeg
    D50F6A32-114A-4DA7-8743-EAFBC4A920CD.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 073339D1-BB77-49DF-B2B9-0E142E74EAA6.jpeg
    073339D1-BB77-49DF-B2B9-0E142E74EAA6.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 2BDE1448-A926-4667-A58F-2E7442E81F67.jpeg
    2BDE1448-A926-4667-A58F-2E7442E81F67.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 70

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wonder if the seat belts retract quicker so they don’t get trapped in the door jam.
I don't know what they're smoking at the factory or even the dealerships, but that twist is absolutely not supposed to be like that. Here are photos of 2 vehicles in my garage; same side of the car as your photos.

Honda CR-V:

As you can see, the belt is flat coming up out of the B Pillar, and remains flat all the way down to the fastening point at the bottom.

IMG_3139.jpeg

Alfa Romeo Giulia:

Belt is flat coming up out of the B Pillar, and remains flat all the way down to the fastening point at the bottom. You'll also note that fabric flap coming off the belt behind the blade? That's supposed to be pointing outward, away from the seat.

IMG_3140.jpeg

Now look at your photo:

Compare this to the photo of the Alfa. The cloth flap on the bottom should be pointing away from the seat, and believe it or not, the blade on your belt is on backwards; it should be pointing away from the cloth flap, not be on the same side.

073339D1-BB77-49DF-B2B9-0E142E74EAA6.jpeg

The belt should NOT be twisted like that. It's fixable; undo the belt at the bottom, and turn it around so it's flat all the way down, AND remove and reinstall the blade the opposite way it is now on the belt, so it's pointing away from the cloth flap after you turn the belt around. The blade should then be pointing towards the seat like it's supposed to.

I don't understand why Lotus is doing this unless they got an odd batch of belt assemblies. This should be something that's obvious, but at least it's fixable.

Wonza

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don't know what they're smoking at the factory or even the dealerships, but that twist is absolutely not supposed to be like that. Here are photos of 2 vehicles in my garage; same side of the car as your photos.

Honda CR-V:

As you can see, the belt is flat coming up out of the B Pillar, and remains flat all the way down to the fastening point at the bottom.

View attachment 26053

Alfa Romeo Giulia:

Belt is flat coming up out of the B Pillar, and remains flat all the way down to the fastening point at the bottom. You'll also note that fabric flap coming off the belt behind the blade? That's supposed to be pointing outward, away from the seat.

View attachment 26052

Now look at your photo:

Compare this to the photo of the Alfa. The cloth flap on the bottom should be pointing away from the seat, and believe it or not, the blade on your belt is on backwards; it should be pointing away from the cloth flap, not be on the same side.

View attachment 26055

The belt should NOT be twisted like that. It's fixable; undo the belt at the bottom, and turn it around so it's flat all the way down, AND remove and reinstall the blade the opposite way it is now on the belt, so it's pointing away from the cloth flap after you turn the belt around. The blade should then be pointing towards the seat like it's supposed to.

I don't understand why Lotus is doing this unless they got an odd batch of belt assemblies. This should be something that's obvious, but at least it's fixable.
Totally agree with you, I can fix it myself but I don’t want to in case in the event of an accident, they may say I’ve modified the seatbelt. I want Lotus to acknowledge the fault and fix it even if the dealer said it’s normal. Maybe I need to ring customer services and ask why?

EMIRADILEMMA

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Is there any way of getting Hethel to acknowledge the issue or at least post an official confirmation that they designed the belts this way? This is a very basic safety issue.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Whoever has access to Hethel, preferably someone like Scott, show them the pictures I posted. I don't know if every Emira is coming off the line like this, but they need to straighten these out.

OP
JasonR

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So quick update. I booked the car in last week with Stratton Motor Company which is Lotus approved servicing nearest me (and the factory). Told them the issues ans they said I’d have the car back the next day. That was supposed to be Wednesday but today I got an update and they let me know a Lotus field tech had come out and there’s more issues then expected.

First the seatbelts are by design which I said was stupid and the manager agreed with me. So will have to fix that issue myself….

The body work related issues they’re going to fix

The brakes the tech said just needed breaking in but mentioned somehow the alignment could be causing odd braking? Which makes zero sense.

The kicker was that they said the power steering was faulty/leaking and needed to replace the rack…. Can’t have the car back like it and they are waiting for Lotus to sign off on it as well…..

No courtesy car or anything so I’m a bit miffed in honesty.

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When collecting my car I actually queried the twisted seat belt issue with Scott at the time (and said it had already been discussed at length on the forums) and he said it was supposed to be like that.......

OP
JasonR

JasonR

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When collecting my car I actually queried the twisted seat belt issue with Scott at the time (and said it had already been discussed at length on the forums) and he said it was supposed to be like that.......
Yea doesn’t mean it’s right though. Must be the only car with this issue

Last edited:

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yea doesn’t mean it’s right though. Must be the only car which this issue
I wasn't saying it was right, I totally agree with what is being said here, they look completely wrong how they are being fitted, was just saying it had been queried on collection as I was confused about it too...