Is this a leather defect?

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The leather trim along the top of my driver's door (second photo) is very even and consistent and wouldn't look out a place in a Porsche.

But the trim on my passenger door is much more grainy and "textured" and has at least two visible circular areas where it looks like the grain has been corrected or perhaps there was scarring on the hide.

What do you think? Is this just acceptable normal variation that should be expected in natural hide or did I get a piece of leather from the defects bin?

Attachments

• IMG_7203.JPG
    IMG_7203.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_7205.JPG
    IMG_7205.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

Callabrator

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hmm, that does look odd. I’d ask um about it and see what they say. It does look like it had some sort of work done on it

OP
Nick in Sydney

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's another photo of my passenger door trim. Hopefully you can see the very high amount of grain and the circular areas along the bottom edge.

Does everyone else have "perfect leather trim" or does anyone else have these kind of variations?

Attachments

• IMG_7208.JPG
    IMG_7208.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 209

kennyn

Reaction score
It's not great, but it's also not the worst I've seen. Take it up with your agent and try for a warranty replacement.

KusaKusa

Reaction score
The leather grain is normal. That variation is a characteristic of full grain leather (topmost skin) that has very little correction, paint, and plastics applied to the surface. It means natural differences between hides and wrinkles from natural wear and handling show more prominently. It's actually rare for leather of this quality and light processing to be used in cars because it's pretty sensitive, and it's usually only seen in high luxury cars like Porsche, Aston Martin, Bentley, etc. It's what I'd expect from a top tier leather supplier like Bridge of Weir.

The circles are a bit odd though. I don't think it's a problem with the leather but maybe due to adhesive below the surface or overexposure of the surface to a heat gun or hot surface or something.

OP
Nick in Sydney

Nick in Sydney

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
The leather grain is normal. That variation is a characteristic of full grain leather (topmost skin) that has very little correction, paint, and plastics applied to the surface. It means natural differences between hides and wrinkles from natural wear and handling show more prominently. It's actually rare for leather of this quality and light processing to be used in cars because it's pretty sensitive, and it's usually only seen in high luxury cars like Porsche, Aston Martin, Bentley, etc. It's what I'd expect from a top tier leather supplier like Bridge of Weir.

The circles are a bit odd though. I don't think it's a problem with the leather but maybe due to adhesive below the surface or overexposure of the surface to a heat gun or hot surface or something.
Yes, agree. I wondered whether the circles are glue delaminating underneath or something similar. I actually quite like the grain.