is Emira a SuperCar?

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I have long considered Emira not to be a supercar but I see it get referred to as a supercar by many many publications, literally all the time. I see it get associated with other exotic supercars like lambo and ferrari, and I have seen it featured in countless youtube channels that specialize in supercar spotting too. Also I see Lotus called a "supercar manufacture"

That got me thinking, what exactly are the requirements for a supercar and does the Emira meet them?

I think the Emira meets all requirements except for one, and its probably the most important, which is performance. 400hp and 0-60 in 4.2 seconds is solidly in sports car territory, not supercar. however thats only part of the performance equation. If we aren't talking straight line speed but instead of track times, maybe it's competitive?

another requirement it doesn't meet is price, which is debatable if thats even a requirement, but its a small fraction of what most would consider a normal supercar price

what do you guys think?
are you going to introduce your car as a "supercar"?
maybe "suprecar-ish"?
maybe "baby supercar"?

Yas.totti10

Reaction score
I have long considered Emira not to be a supercar but I see it get referred to as a supercar by many many publications, literally all the time. I see it get associated with other exotic supercars like lambo and ferrari, and I have seen it featured in countless youtube channels that specialize in supercar spotting too. Also I see Lotus called a "supercar manufacture"

That got me thinking, what exactly are the requirements for a supercar and does the Emira meet them?

I think the Emira meets all requirements except for one, and its probably the most important, which is performance. 400hp and 0-60 in 4.2 seconds is solidly in sports car territory, not supercar. however thats only part of the performance equation. If we aren't talking straight line speed but instead of track times, maybe it's competitive?

another requirement it doesn't meet is price, which is debatable if thats even a requirement, but its a small fraction of what most would consider a normal supercar price

what do you guys think?
maybe "suprecar-ish"?
maybe "baby supercar"?
Baby supercar

Purely because of its power at 400HP

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I always said it wasn’t and a friend of mine put it in the best frame I think:

It’s a brand new 20 year old Super Car. It’s a new and maintenance friendly Ferrari 360. 400 HP, lower torque. Mid-engine.

IMG_9785.jpeg

Gprodigy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I always said it wasn’t and a friend of mine put it in the best frame I think:

It’s a brand new 20 year old Super Car. It’s a new and maintenance friendly Ferrari 360. 400 HP, lower torque. Mid-engine.

View attachment 37713

Short answer: They sale Emira's at Super car dealerships and not Toyota.

Also:
I used to have a 360 Modena. He's right, The Emira is very similar to an updated 360 with a V6 supercharger instead of V8.

Last edited:

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don't like the phrase "baby supercar" since it sounds like a car that is not meant to be taken seriously.
I'd call it a sports car.

I would consider a 992 Turbo a super car. Mordern lambos and ferraris too. Mainly due to horsepower.

But I would consider 992 Carrera and Carrera S a sports car (becuse their power isn't supercar level ).

How I define it? I am not sure. haha.

But here is my best definition of supercar:

Basicaly when a car is so powerful its a bit ridiculous.

Also they have a lot of modern tech in them like electronic steering, real wheel steering, etc.
They are also huge (too big in my opinion).

A supercar is very capable but I believe a sports car is more connected.

Thats just my definition though.

Last edited:

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Short answer: They sale Emira's at Super car dealerships and not Toyota.

Also:
I used to have a 360 Modena. He's right, The Emira is very similar to an updated 360 with a V6 supercharger instead of V8.
I will say looking into it the comparison makes a lot of sense:

Emira 400HP/317TQ 3175lbs
Ferrari 360 400HP/276TQ 3197lbs

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It's an exotic sports car. The terms "super" and "hyper" don't really have meaning.

This thing isn't even unibody, like "normal" cars. It uses exotic materials and construction, an uncompromisingly performance-oriented engineering approach, and has a spectacular and unusual design.

What part of this needs explanation? It's unquestionably a special, desirable car that is unlike anything you can buy in a mainstream auto dealership. It's a future classic.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I refer to them (Evora and Emira) as exotic sports cars. The exotic part sets them apart from Porsche and all the other sports cars in that $80-$130k price range.

In my mind, supercars are the next level. Think ~$250k+ and 600+HP (Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, etc.). Hypercars are the completely ridiculous and mostly unobtainable toys with 800+HP that only multimillionaires can afford (Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, etc.). The Lotus Evija would be considered a hypercar.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I strongly consider it a Supercar. The majority of people, myself included, never get to experience or drive exotic, rare, sports cars. I lump all that into Supercar. Thing is, since the majority of people don't get to experience them, a Supercar is not about performance, it's about heart. What does your heart do when you see it. HP, 0-60, lap times, are all meaningless. It's about seeing it on a poster and dreaming about driving it. The mystique.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

what do you guys think?
maybe "suprecar-ish"?
maybe "baby supercar"?
Just introduce it as a Lotus. Let the other person figure it out. If they are a car person, they'll know what it is!

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I guess supercar means something different to everyone. For me, it has to have exotic looks/designs, is very rare, expensive (>$200k), and fast for the times (mid 3-seconds 0-60) - all of these things. The Emira is just not that expensive and the performance is just shy of the mark.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Just introduce it as a Lotus. Let the other person figure it out. If they are a car person, they'll know what it is!
I just saw DV in person this past weekend. On these dark colored cars with the black pack the Lotus wording on the back is black as we all know. I was just thinking that people will have absolutely no idea what the car is.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I just saw DV in person this past weekend. On these dark colored cars with the black pack the Lotus wording on the back is black as we all know. I was just thinking that people will have absolutely no idea what the car is.
If they are close enough to ask the question, then they are probably close enough to read the lettering or see one of the 7 exterior badges.

However, if they still persist in wanting to know if it's a Supercar, tell them "yes, but not the same Supercar that accompanied baby Kal-El from Krypton". Then make a quick exit from the conversation while they are still confused.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I guess supercar means something different to everyone. For me, it has to have exotic looks/designs, is very rare, expensive (>$200k), and fast for the times (mid 3-seconds 0-60) - all of these things. The Emira is just not that expensive and the performance is just shy of the mark.
I came from the perspective that Supercar was not coined in a car enthusiast forum/environment and it's a term that was derived from the general population on playgrounds, driving on the interstate, watching movies, etc.

EDIT: Magnum PI, Miami Vice, etc.