Is a custom ECU tune better than a pre-packaged ECU tune?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
By default, I feel something like JUBU would be the best tune as they know what they are doing.
But, other people tell me that a custom tune is the way to go.

Just wondering your thoughts?

finny76

EMIRAAA
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you can afford the JUBU standalone ECU then go for it. IMO for me, the price vs performance does not justify the cost, unless they do a special group buy or offer a hefty chunk of discount.

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
By default, I feel something like JUBU would be the best tune as they know what they are doing.
But, other people tell me that a custom tune is the way to go.

Just wondering your thoughts?
I did a custom tune before.. bought a programmer reflash oem chip. then if i needed service at dealership I would reload a saved image of my oem settings.. apparently it didn't leave a trace. I never had the dealership say anything to me. Took about 5 mins to load custom tune or one of several canned tunes or original. Custom tune required I did data logging.. pretty simple..
about $1000 for programmer and custom tune. Diablosport Trinity it was called back in 2010.. It could do hundreds of makes and models.. mostly muscle cars hemis.

If you got a CAI or exhaust you could get some more data logging and send files to your custom tune guy and make adjustments.

my 0 to 60 was 4.9+ factory
got it down to 4.0 4.2 secs safely on 94 octane fuel.. if running tune.
Probably 50hp gain at least. with CAI and catback ... So $1000.. not some crazy Jubu numbers.. Even a new standalone ECU was going for $2500 to $3k at most.
But not many suppliers it appears in Lotus game so they have no competition price wise.