Interesting Article on the Cost of the Electric Future

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Again, steam is not a fuel source. It's a transmission method. If you replace 80% of your batteries with a bunch of hot water, you are not magically going to be able to move the same mass at the same speed for the same distance. Electric, gas, hydrogen, steam: one of these is not like the others. Water doesn't boil at room temperature! (at least not at standard pressures)
Where did I say it was a fuel source? Are you actually reading what I'm writing? It's a propulsion source, like a steam engine. You have to heat the water with something. In the past for example with locomotives, the fuel used to heat the water was wood, coal or oil. We have much more efficient methods of generating heat now.

We have far more water on this planet than fossil fuels or rare earth minerals, I think it's a good idea to consider using it as a propulsion source in certain applications to help reduce the consumption of those other resources.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
California, Arizona, and Nevada might not like using water for anything besides surviving.

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Lots of armchair experts in this thread making themselves look silly.

There's no easy answer to slow humanities dependency on hydrocarbons, or obviously it would've been solved already. This is one of the toughest problems we currently face, and people 10x smarter than all of us have been working on it relentlessly for a long time. Right now it's clear EV's have a massive lead and are gaining momentum very fast, so it's unlikely anything will outpace it unless an incredible breakthrough technology comes about.

There's never going to be a perfect solution. No one is saying there won't be compromises, but if you actually do some quality research, you'll find EV's are still much better than any ICE car for the environment over their usable lifecycle. Yes this includes mining, emissions, resources, manufacturing, and materials. And they're only getting better as we find more efficient ways to produce and use them.
i am so glad you determined this. no other scientist or industrial person believes this. we need people like you.