• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Incredible how rampant car theft is in Canadian larger cities.

vcappp

Reaction score
The Evora GT 410 Sport is in my garage........I bought a 1st class (Autobild tested) wheel clamp for some extra safety (for what it's worth).

IMG-20220324-161130.jpg

Furthermore, I have constructed a "pedal lock" myself for fixing the pedal of the automatic transmission......e.e.a. "locked" with an ABUS disc brake lock, which can be slid just over the (both lying against each other) pedal lock bar and automatic/brake pedal arm.
The whole is very robust; can of course always be cut with a power cutter, but the space on site is very limited...I'm very pleased with it.
I can make good use of this theft device if I, for example, abroad / e.g. Germany am at the hotel for the night.

IMG-20220401-182447.jpg

IMG-20220401-182559.jpg

IMG-20220401-182909.jpg

IMG-20220401-183020.jpg
for that specific wheel lock, what if the thief brings another wheel and replace it on the spot? (i never used a wheel lock, sorry, if this is a silly question).

Rudolph

Emira Fan
Reaction score
for that specific wheel lock, what if the thief brings another wheel and replace it on the spot? (i never used a wheel lock, sorry, if this is a silly question).
Well, he than must bring with him a similar wheel with this bolt pattern......
Of course every car can finally be stolen.........this clamp makes it possibly some more difficult.
I also have still the pedal lock left.
Regards

Last edited:

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Kill switches, battery disconnects, wheels locks... and a flat bed would get me anyway.

I'll just stash 10 apple AirTags in various places.

Sure, they'll get an alert that they're being followed by one (if they're an apple user)... so they'll stop and look for it. Maybe find it. Then another alert. At this point some might assume they already got it, and it's just software redundancy. Others may stop and look again. Oh look a 2nd one. Drive again. More alerts. By the time they find all 10 I will have rolled up on them with SWAT.

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Damn. So much for my patent application! :p

Makes me wonder if Tesla pursued a patent on it. Like anything in software it's more complex than it seems at first, like what if a driver forgets their pin? In the Tesla, the car is tied to your Tesla account, which has an email and password that rules your ecosystem like an Apple ID. The PIN also prevents the glove box and frunk from opening. If you forget the PIN you can login to your Tesla account on the screen and unlock the car that way, which also means all of it requires a persistent data connection.

Carbuilder

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Except that it isn't the insurance company's problem. It becomes our problem because they pass the costs onto us in the form of higher rates.

So your Emira has just been stolen, the insurance company doesn't pay you for the full value because you've used it, so they take depreciation from your settlement, and it takes 2 years before you can get another one. No thank you.
My insurance company does pay for the replacement value for up to 4 years from when the car is new. So if it gets stolen I either get a new one or the money for it and can buy something else. Works for me. Since I'm paying insurance anyways, and have payed enough over the years, I don't worry about my cars being stolen.....that's why I'm paying insurance.