I4 Emira vs. 911 GTS…Fight!

Emira2023

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been lurking around the forum since 2nd deposit paid Aug 21 and patiently awaiting the news and reviews we all were waiting for.

Minds wander with these delays and popping into the local Porsche showroom and seeing a 911 GTS has really put the ‘cars amongst the pigeons’. Test drove and loved the F6 sound, PDK, power and everything!

Not the same cars (or cost) at all but deliveries for both as it turns out probably the same. I prefer autos and Emira V6 auto seems…old tech? So AMG seemed logical choice at the time.

Decisions, decisions.
Not a bad dilemma to have I guess!

Still love the looks of the Emira but starting to ponder the fit & finish with the odd comments regarding seats, controls and bubbling rear vent surrounds…and strangely quiet on the AMG front from Lotus overall…problems? Extended development needed? Heat issues?…Or my paranoia?

Still awaiting i4 sound clips and reviews but I guess they are still a looong way off…

Just thought a discussion may help pass the time 🙂

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think the AMG i4 is an awesome engine with amazing specific output and the DCT was described as brilliant box in the Emira by Jenson Button recently.
Not quite F6 911 GTS territory, but a 4 banger turbo naturally suits lotus heritage, whereas not so much in a Porsche.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been lurking around the forum since 2nd deposit paid Aug 21 and patiently awaiting the news and reviews we all were waiting for.

Minds wander with these delays and popping into the local Porsche showroom and seeing a 911 GTS has really put the ‘cars amongst the pigeons’. Test drove and loved the F6 sound, PDK, power and everything!

Not the same cars (or cost) at all but deliveries for both as it turns out probably the same. I prefer autos and Emira V6 auto seems…old tech? So AMG seemed logical choice at the time.

Decisions, decisions.

Still love the looks of the Emira but starting to ponder the fit & finish with the odd comments regarding seats, controls and bubbling rear vent surrounds…and strangely quiet on the AMG front from Lotus overall…problems? Extended development needed? Heat issues?…Or my paranoia?

Still awaiting i4 sound clips and reviews but I guess they are still a looong way off…

I dont think there is any comparison to be honest 😅
But then the 992 is in another league price point wise

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I test drove a 991 GTS and found it boring....
Were you driving it fast enough? 😋
Seriously tho horses for courses I get that. Personally I loved both the NA 3.8 991.1 and turbo 991.2
Have two friends with the new 992 GTS in 2S and 4S configs and both are ridiculously accomplished.
If the Emira is 75% as good I'd be happy

Last edited:

Mctaff

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
We're you driving it fast enough? 😋
Seriously tho horses for courses I get that. Personally I loved both the NA 3.8 991.1 and turbo 991.2
Have two friends with the new 992 GTS in 2S and 4S configs and both are ridiculously accomplished.
If the Emira is 75% as good I'd be happy

ha! accomplished it was. interesting and engaging? not particularly...

I did the same roads in the Vantage afterwards... no comparison for me.

I did love the 997.2 turbo though... nearly bought one, but 911's are common as muck so got the vantage instead

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
it will sound like this.

🤮 🤣
It won't even sound closely like that. That's the old W176 A45 with another engine. The W177 A45 with the actual M139 engine isn't even half as loud as the old one, the pops and bangs are gone and all in all it just sounds like every normal car. I hope that Lotus will do better with the M139, but also think that it simply isn't allowed anymore. AMG obviously also knows how to do it...

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Hello all,

Decisions, decisions.

I borrowed a friend's 991 GTS (Targa 4) and frankly was a bit bored. Beautiful car, no doubt about that, just no emotion at legal speeds. But you'll hear something similar from most around here, I'd guess the majority are here because of Lotus' levels of on-road driver engagement.

Flashback

Reaction score
Pleeeeassse Lotus - give the i4 a soulful exhaust note
It will be a turbo'd 4-pot whatever they do to it. There's no such thing as a soulful turbo'd 4-pot.

Anyone buying an i4 has surely already accepted that the soundtrack will be... lacking (to be polite).

I'm sure no one is buying it for the noise, though!

Jonhklee

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It will be a turbo'd 4-pot whatever they do to it. There's no such thing as a soulful turbo'd 4-pot.

Anyone buying an i4 has surely already accepted that the soundtrack will be... lacking (to be polite).

I'm sure no one is buying it for the noise, though!
Not for the noise, but some consolation exhaust note would be appreciated.
And yes, for the lower centre of gravity, DCT and slightly lower mass and power upgradability and AMGness.