• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION How many miles before a clutch replacement?

Arsalan

Reaction score
I don’t go on tracks and race but I do drive my cars like a sports car should be driven. What do you guys think how many miles can I get out of new clutch before I need to replace it. Any Evora owners here with their insight would be great.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t go on tracks and race but I do drive my cars like a sports car should be driven. What do you guys think how many miles can I get out of new clutch before I need to replace it. Any Evora owners here with their insight would be great.

Stock with an experienced driver? 90-120k miles seems reasonable. It all depends how you drive.. Just like brake pads.

IIRC, the Evora and Emira use a AP (or maybe it's ACT?) clutch and lightweight flywheel.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
It is likely going to be a $10-15k clutch job I would expect.

Yeah, that's the horror story rumor about dealers charging $9k+ for a clutch replacement since the clam has to come off. It's usually at least half of that by independent shops.. And not really too difficult of a job if you have the garage space, time, and tools to do it yourself.

OP
A

Arsalan

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the horror story rumor about dealers charging $9k+ for a clutch replacement since the clam has to come off. It's usually at least half of that by independent shops.. And not really too difficult of a job if you have the garage space, time, and tools to do it yourself.
I typically do my own maintenance but not sure if I would do the clutch on new Emira.

OP
A

Arsalan

Reaction score
9218B7A1-D180-4A3F-9A82-AFB4D4CBCAFE.jpeg

Here is my garage. I think I got the tools to do it ;)

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This is hugely variable based on driver behavior. Some people can destroy a clutch in 20k miles. Others get 200k out of the same clutch in the same driving pattern. It's all based on how the driver engages the driveline and how much they habitually slip the engagement.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
There’s a lot of urban myth online about the Evora clutches being made of cheese.

First contributing factor was a small batch of wrongly assembled transmissions back in the first year or so, which Lotus then fixed under warranty.

Second factor was the original Lotus service book time for replacement, which showed 36 hours labour and about £500 of parts. The labour was driven by clam removal. Many dealers and indies have now worked out how to do this much quicker. Several will do it for a fixed price around £2500-3000.

Third is that people with clutch issues post about it online, but people with high mileages and no issues usually don’t. There are some stories of replacement around 30k miles to 50k miles. But there are also people running 75k and 100k miles on the original clutch. The highest I’ve seen is 115k miles. That’s largely due to driving style not the design of the transmission.

The Emira has panels rather than a rear clam and the engine bay is bigger than Evora, so I’m expecting access to be easier.

OP
A

Arsalan

Reaction score
There’s a lot of urban myth online about the Evora clutches being made of cheese.

First contributing factor was a small batch of wrongly assembled transmissions back in the first year or so, which Lotus then fixed under warranty.

Second factor was the original Lotus service book time for replacement, which showed 36 hours labour and about £500 of parts. The labour was driven by clam removal. Many dealers and indies have now worked out how to do this much quicker. Several will do it for a fixed price around £2500-3000.

Third is that people with clutch issues post about it online, but people with high mileages and no issues usually don’t. There are some stories of replacement around 30k miles to 50k miles. But there are also people running 75k and 100k miles on the original clutch. The highest I’ve seen is 115k miles. That’s largely due to driving style not the design of the transmission.

The Emira has panels rather than a rear clam and the engine bay is bigger than Evora, so I’m expecting access to be easier.
Having engine bay panels will make it lot easier to do it. That is good news!

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Stock with an experienced driver? 90-120k miles seems reasonable. It all depends how you drive.. Just like brake pads.

IIRC, the Evora and Emira use a AP (or maybe it's ACT?) clutch and lightweight flywheel.
That’s what I got from my 2006 Porsche
120k. Replacement and other key parts was $4,500.