• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Hethel Yellow Paint and Ceramic coating - paint quality issues

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just had my car polished (detailed) and the paint 'corrected' before ceramic coating.
The car came from the factory with polish all over the place but actually looked ok to the naked eye.

The guy I used needed another day to get the paint somewhere near where he was happy with it.
It was stunning when he had finished but the light he had showed loads of marring as per below.
Biggest concern was the roof... He said this.... "Only thing we can do with that is get it repainted or cover it with black PPF"!!!
Pretty grim. Again to the novice and naked eye the car is stunning but up close and if you were super OCD the roof isnt great.
Taking it back to a Lotus 'Agent' is out of the question it would likely come back worse.
Talking of which imagine picking up your used but very new 911 GT3 RS and thinking its rough surface on the roof was tree sap only to find out it was overspray from an adjacent smart repair in the dealers storage compound. The guy dare not go back and moan as he's afraid of losing a place for a new one - mental.
Anyway enjoy...
IMG_1638.jpeg
IMG_1712.jpeg
IMG_1645.jpeg

Yes the contamination really was this bad!!!!!

IMG_1575.jpeg

I think he said this was overspray! 👇

974f55f4-c48b-4c46-bcbe-f89e52f1170e.jpg

IMG_1648.jpeg
0b9a6554-b2de-4195-a6fc-8c563293e47f.jpg
IMG_1651.jpeg
23cb40a4-f729-4b84-807a-2f97e65a75d9.jpg
IMG_1646.jpeg

OP
Toomanyloti

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

this is exhaust 'products' which would only come off with polish :eek:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's unreal. How long have you had the car? Is this mostly environmental or is this how you got the car from Lotus?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's bad. This is why most manufacturers properly protect their vehicles for delivery by fully covering the body panels and not just the edges. Rail dust can be very hot and bake into the clearcoat like that.

DF_Toronto

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah, that's bad. This is why most manufacturers properly protect their vehicles for delivery by fully covering the body panels and not just the edges. Rail dust can be very hot and bake into the clearcoat like that.
Silly question but if you order it with a cover do you think they’d ship it with it on?

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just had my car polished (detailed) and the paint 'corrected' before ceramic coating.
The car came from the factory with polish all over the place but actually looked ok to the naked eye.

The guy I used needed another day to get the paint somewhere near where he was happy with it.
It was stunning when he had finished but the light he had showed loads of marring as per below.
Biggest concern was the roof... He said this.... "Only thing we can do with that is get it repainted or cover it with black PPF"!!!
Pretty grim. Again to the novice and naked eye the car is stunning but up close and if you were super OCD the roof isnt great.
Taking it back to a Lotus 'Agent' is out of the question it would likely come back worse.
Talking of which imagine picking up your used but very new 911 GT3 RS and thinking its rough surface on the roof was tree sap only to find out it was overspray from an adjacent smart repair in the dealers storage compound. The guy dare not go back and moan as he's afraid of losing a place for a new one - mental.
Anyway enjoy...
View attachment 30439View attachment 30440View attachment 30441

Yes the contamination really was this bad!!!!!

View attachment 30442

I think he said this was overspray! 👇

View attachment 30444
View attachment 30449View attachment 30450View attachment 30451View attachment 30452View attachment 30454
Sorry, what exactly am I looking at here? Are these regular, "naked eye" photographs, or some kind of special infrared / ultraviolet photograph which highlights small blemishes?

OP
Toomanyloti

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's unreal. How long have you had the car? Is this mostly environmental or is this how you got the car from Lotus?
collected in June then smashed round everywhere in track mode and washed it a few times in and among.
Plan was to have it coated asap but the lad is very busy and all i was bothered about was getting it above 1000miles so I could fully appreciate 'the music'.
All the crud will be from me using it. The crappy finishing of the paint under the polish was nothing to do with me!!!!
Unknown.jpeg

OP
Toomanyloti

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sorry, what exactly am I looking at here? Are these regular, "naked eye" photographs, or some kind of special infrared / ultraviolet photograph which highlights small blemishes?
Hes got a special lamp he goes over it with. No idea what but I'll find out. It will be the temp of the light which shows up the flaws I imagine. Just took the shots with his iphone.

Blue Dude

Reaction score
The pictures with the discoloration are probably from chemically removing iron contamination with a product like this: https://carpro.global/catalog/ironx/

Could follow that with a clay bar (good idea to polish afterwards if doing this, as claying can cause swirls) to mechanically remove other contaminates.

The following video is a decent overview of the condition of "new" cars and what can be done to improve and protect them. Esoteric has a wealth of detailing information on their YouTube channel. I went to one of their onsite classes (looks like now they just do online instruction) a while ago and have seen first hand that they know what they are doing:

Last edited: