Hello

Stonecutter

Reaction score
Hey all. After lurking a lot I joined.

I just got my first weekend car almost 2 years ago (A 2013 Audi TT RS) and I must say, instead of being bored with it, I love it. I know the TTRS is not the coolest thing going but the 5 banger, usability, short throw shifter and ratios, and interior really make it a sleeper and it is as fast 0-60 as an emira with throw you back torque. I’m really enjoying it and on no time line with it. With only 1200 made and not many low mile I want to keep it forever but the public generally hates the tt so even if it is the last Audi rs in manual and low numbers and great engine I think at best it does a good job staying flat in value.

That said, now that I know it won’t get old, I don’t need to upgrade, but I have a wondering eye. Basically a 911 was only thing that made sense with manual and boom the emira comes out. One of those 2 will be my next.

I’m in no hurry, I would need to see an emira in person and I still don’t know what suspension I would want. My mind says 911, my hear says lotus. I joined here to learn over the next year because frankly owning a lotus sounds scary.

Anyway thanks for having me and I apologize in advance for probably a lot of questions as there just isn’t much on the Internet still on these.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score

I just got my first weekend car almost 2 years ago (A 2013 Audi TT RS) and I must say, instead of being bored with it, I love it. I know the TTRS is not the coolest thing going but the 5 banger, usability, short throw shifter and ratios, and interior really make it a sleeper and it is as fast 0-60 as an emira with throw you back torque. I’m really enjoying it and on no time line with it. With only 1200 made and not many low mile I want to keep it forever but the public generally hates the tt so even if it is the last Audi rs in manual and low numbers and great engine I think at best it does a good job staying flat in value.

That said, now that I know it won’t get old, I don’t need to upgrade, but I have a wondering eye. Basically a 911 was only thing that made sense with manual and boom the emira comes out. One of those 2 will be my next.

I’m in no hurry, I would need to see an emira in person and I still don’t know what suspension I would want. My mind says 911, my hear says lotus. I joined here to learn over the next year because frankly owning a lotus sounds scary.

Anyway thanks for having me and I apologize in advance for probably a lot of questions as there just isn’t much on the Internet still on these.

Welcome! You're in the right place to learn more about the Emira as we've scrutinized every little bit of info we could get over the last year and a half.

Where are you located? "Owning a Lotus sounds scary" made me laugh. I can't see where you're located because I'm on mobile right now, but I'm guessing somewhere in North America with no nearby dealer? Our dealer network is pretty abismal but it's supposed to get better! For instance, my Emira order is with a dealer 2 hrs away from me, but a new dealer was recently announced that's just 30 minutes away! So that greatly eased my concerns. Also the general reliability is very good with the proven 2GR Toyota powertrain! It's the parts supply, delays, and downtime that can be rough.

The TTRS is a great car btw! I think @lion shf has one too, right? I have a MK7 GTI that I daily and absolutely love. I track it occasionally too but also grown a little bored with it.. Maybe because it's DSG? Great all-around fun car though!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Welcome to the forum and you're certainly in the right place for information (and a little bit of speculation and hand-wringing).

In Florida you're quite well-provided with Lotus dealers, with Orlando, Palm Beach and Naples.

Test drives and customer cars are happening now, so we're getting a lot of "ordinary Joe/Jo" feedback to read alongside the press reviews. You'll also read about issues with the cars, but bear in mind people are more inclined to post online about problems and the people with zero issues are out enjoying their cars.

This thread gives you a good starting point:

And this one will hopefully help about suspension choices:

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I am in south Florida right by lotus PB (I think they sell out of the lambo dealership there). I guess by scary I meant quality control things and things wearing and just being not sorted(Water leaks). I am not bashing lotus by this it is just the stigma.

I do love the TTRS and in no rush as I said, but it was really my dipping toes in the water of being a weekend car kind of guy and it turns out I am. Also I blindly bought the RS from another state never even being in one or driving it (gamble paid off) but now I think I am more savvy in knowing what I will like or not in ride and behavior and sounds and all that. Like I said I think the only things I would leave what I have for is a 991.2 911 or the emira. For 95k for an emira spec’ed my way it was tempting to not order it and figure it out when it was ready, but the reality is I want to see this recession play out next year as I have side money earmarked for smarter allocations and want to see how mu business fairs and all that should go down by the time I can actually sit in one.

Truth be told 911s never spoke to me. I do really like the 991 looks wise, and I’m sure it is what it is sold as driving wise. They are everywhere and I am not that old yet. The cayman and bmws not worth it to leave my Audi. I want the Emira to be a better drive than my ttrs and be made solid enough and I think the looks alone seal the deal. It really speaks to me as the perfect realistic attainable sports car. Well perfect if Maybe if I could put my Audi 5 cylinder in it😝

Pops68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Welcome Lurker! It's generally a bitchfest here but also a source of info and frustration relief as we all impatiently wait for cars to trickle out of Hethel..:)

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
Welcome Lurker! It's generally a bitchfest here but also a source of info and frustration relief as we all impatiently wait for cars to trickle out of Hethel..:)
Yeah, but I am ok with that. I want to know all the bad, but I’m the kind of person that knows everything has faults and trade offs and doesn’t get caught up in the good swaying me until after I accept the bad. When we bought my house I said all the negatives the whole walk through and we offered before we left the drive way, and when I buy machines for my biz I look at all the faults and design flaws. At the end of the day, it has a lot of good for me to look in first place, I just like being on board with the potential bads but a realistic about them. I am also a hater by nature hahaha.

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
0F610B08-1138-451D-83D2-60BF3FEC1309.jpeg

My current ride. Sorry all BW, I’m also a hobby photographer so the only pics I have if it was when I was playing with a plug in for monochrome editing and used the car as subject matter and one from when I was shooting a sunrise.

Attachments

• 0D0F9C93-F7AB-4AB7-B9E0-D4AE487F4324.jpeg
    0D0F9C93-F7AB-4AB7-B9E0-D4AE487F4324.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 19
  • F9F20433-9158-4F66-8814-C376808676FA.jpeg
    F9F20433-9158-4F66-8814-C376808676FA.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 20
  • CC69CA3D-E582-4720-B299-2A6B84A8D5B7.jpeg
    CC69CA3D-E582-4720-B299-2A6B84A8D5B7.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 7E4CE7AA-B91F-42A9-BC5B-67FC2E740E26.jpeg
    7E4CE7AA-B91F-42A9-BC5B-67FC2E740E26.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 67601ABA-4644-4AF4-A7BD-562AD288B5F9.jpeg
    67601ABA-4644-4AF4-A7BD-562AD288B5F9.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 20

Rapture

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm a fan of the TT RS. I special ordered this one in 2018. It was painted Porsche Gray-Black and had the Exclusive Palomino interior. Waited a year for it (I always seem to be waiting for cars). It was a fun ride. Custome HRE wheels set it off. I enjoy unique cars and can't wait for the Emira.

Attachments

• TT RS 3.jpg
    TT RS 3.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 33
  • TT RS Interior 23.jpg
    TT RS Interior 23.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 31

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve owned 3 Lotuses. The only thing scary about them is the speed you can attain on a British “B” road. Welcome. Enjoy the ride.

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the TT RS. I special ordered this one in 2018. It was painted Porsche Gray-Black and had the Exclusive Palomino interior. Waited a year for it (I always seem to be waiting for cars). It was a fun ride. Custome HRE wheels set it off. I enjoy unique cars and can't wait for the Emira.
That is a fantastic spec on the colors! Beautiful car.

Have you test driven the Emira yet? Because you are the man I need to talk to when you do.

Yeah, I think I have the same draw to cars that are not the common consensus myself. Before I got my RS I looked at evora as my list was really short wanting manual. I should have stated that Part of the “scared” part is that I read alot of online things about the early evoras.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah, but I am ok with that. I want to know all the bad, but I’m the kind of person that knows everything has faults and trade offs and doesn’t get caught up in the good swaying me until after I accept the bad. When we bought my house I said all the negatives the whole walk through and we offered before we left the drive way, and when I buy machines for my biz I look at all the faults and design flaws. At the end of the day, it has a lot of good for me to look in first place, I just like being on board with the potential bads but a realistic about them. I am also a hater by nature hahaha.
Candor. How interesting.
A 'hater by nature' must be a blast at cocktail parties.
Had a boss once who would only go so far as saying, "Well I can't find anything wrong with it.' Felt sorry for him.
Looking forward to your Emira reaction.

OP
S

Stonecutter

Reaction score
Candor. How interesting.
A 'hater by nature' must be a blast at cocktail parties.
Had a boss once who would only go so far as saying, "Well I can't find anything wrong with it.' Felt sorry for him.
Looking forward to your Emira reaction.
Meh, Perspective is uniquely yours.

You would be disappointed to find I am very type A, outgoing talk to strangers in line at store type of hater with a sense of humor to the point I take nothing serious to an extreme. My company at a cocktail party as a hater wouldn’t be as bad as you think. I am the funny kind, not a curmudgeon. I have an innate ability to see things for what they are and I enjoy pointing out flaws in expensive material things in a funny way and Especially to people who take them too seriously.

I’m sure not sure why you would look forward to a natural Haters opinion of an English sports car with a history of gremlins that even scares me (I own Italian Cnc machines and service them myself....if you know, you know, but you can imagine) who was saved by a Chinese company.
It shouldn’t be that hard for the biggest optimist to find niggles.

But here is my personal insight going into it and Correct me if I am wrong. The bar for the emira is pretty much an interior that is passable for a fully loaded corolla of Chinese budget luxury parts on a chassis lotus is known for with a build quality that doesn’t have water leaks, dash deterioration from the sun, paint bubbles and bad body panel gaps all with a engine and transmission that need to just not be bad enough to ruin the package if that package even made it to that point. If it can only clear that above extremely low bar then it would in fact be one of the most polarizing real sports cars available to me for what I want with all of the flaws just skirting over the low bar.

The looks are going to either be the icing on the cake or the lipstick on the pig. If it is the icing on the cake then for the $95k then it is worth the premium over an M2 or Supra or Nissan Z and worth not getting the very polished Porsche to have something with character.