Had the car ceramic coated over the weekend šŸ˜

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Chap said the paint is really soft and prone to scratches in the clear coat. The stuff he applied is supposed to be self healing (minor scratches) when heat is applied to the paint eg in hot weather

Attachments

• IMG_7563.MOV
    13.9 MB

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Chap said the paint is really soft and prone to scratches in the clear coat. The stuff he applied is supposed to be self healing (minor scratches) when heat is applied to the paint eg in hot weather
What product did he use Mark?

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Did they put a coating on the wheels as well?

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Some protection is better than none. A PPF is very expensive these days.
If the ceramic coating is proven to last a long time then it seems like a decent idea. I would have a concern on the real strength of it.

OP
M

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If the ceramic coating is proven to last a long time then it seems like a decent idea. I would have a concern on the real strength of it.
I think some coatings are guaranteed for 5 yrs, ceramic wonā€™t protect against stone chips. It should make it easier to keep it clean. The cost of PPF (whole car/front end and skirts) is prohibitive.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I believe GVE will still offer than 10% discount.
Still a lot o money, though you don't have to get the whole car done of course.

Grumpy

Reaction score
just over 5k was the quote for PPF from a shop I have used before!

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes a different one that was more matt in finish
Hi Mark, Does it work and make the wheels actually look more Matt? Satin perhaps? If so whatā€™s that product called?

Last edited:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I canā€™t understand why it is so expensive. Especially once they have the template?

$5k for PPF is just crazy to me... even $3k for the entire car seems like a lot for just film. I understand it's labor intensive, but come on...

I'll likely have PPF on the black pack parts and partial front end, depending on the cost. Everything else is getting ceramic coated and maintained by me. I don't really mind a rock chip here and there. No one ever notices those except the owner anyway.

OP
M

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi Mark, Does it work and make the wheels actually look more Matt? Satin perhaps? If so whatā€™s that product called?
Sorry it is less glossy than the stuff used on the car body

Attachments

• C5E81749-4C4B-443E-85D7-13683F45AA42.jpeg
    C5E81749-4C4B-443E-85D7-13683F45AA42.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 59

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
From my experience ceramic offers zero protection beyond cleaning and making it look pretty. That's not to say its not worth doing.

Ppf is amazing stuff but hard to justify. That said I've found more and more buyers are demanding it when yiu come to sell cars like these on šŸ™„

idleuser

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
3-10K for PPF when it only helps a little bit for rock chips. I have PPF on my car and it only helps with rocks/pebble smaller than the a dime size rock. For 1-2k it's worth it, for anything more out side of black car to prevent swirls is insane.

Anyways the ceramic coat looks good but unless you're washing your car weekly with new mitts/2 bucket system and filtered water to get rid of the minerals, you're better off running through car through an automatic car wash every other day.

Now before anyone flames me for suggesting an automatic car wash. I have tested both hand wash/2 bucket system vs drive through 3+ times a week and it's been working for me on a white car. I wouldn't suggest automatic car wash on a black car that shows a ton of swirls.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I canā€™t understand why it is so expensive. Especially once they have the template?
Materials cost alone is quite expensive, and skill to apply just a template is time consuming and requires skill, and this ignores the prep detailing work.

Try to apply some yourself :)

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Materials cost alone is quite expensive, and skill to apply just a template is time consuming and requires skill, and this ignores the prep detailing work.

All true, but getting a perfect respray of the front fender is a few hundred bucksā€¦ PPF just seems silly to me for that kind of money.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
All true, but getting a perfect respray of the front fender is a few hundred bucksā€¦ PPF just seems silly to me for that kind of money.
Sort of depends where you are, a respray of the front bumper in my locale blending into other panels to match at OE quality is going to be $1500 here due to high cost of living and labor costs.
PPF is also expensive here, full PPF is roughly $7-8K USD

OP
M

Markc

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Iā€™ve watched some YouTube videos and thought it looked pretty easy (Iā€™m fairly dexterous)