Gran Turismo 7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Is anybody playing Gran Turismo 7? I've got it on my PS5, and while it looks good, some of the physics are seriously frustrating. I spent most of the day yesterday, getting my International B license. I got all gold on all the tests, but it was a ridiculous pain to do so. The brakes don't want to stop the cars, the tires are greasy slippy sliding garbage, and the cars just don't want to accelerate. I was doing the test with the Dodge Viper at Laguna Seca, and the brakes were so bad, they wouldn't stop the car when it was only going 43 miles per hour. I discovered that simply pressing the brake pedal isn't the best, you need to pump the trigger button on the controller which helps improve the braking, but it's still garbage.

On the cars where I can upgrade them and set them up myself, they work great. Lots of grip and braking power. On the ones they give you that you have to drive for the license tests, they suck to put it politely.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
You are not using a wheel/pedal set?

I am not playing GT7. I spent many many hours on GT4.

Without the physical sensation of accelerating/braking, the cars can feel lethargic. Having a wheel/pedal set helps.

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
No I just have the controller that came with the PS5. The controller does have much better feedback than the old ones, including the triggers which have variable pressure, but it was the physics and modeling of the vehicles you have to drive for the license tests that frustrated the crud out of me.

Porter

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you are using a handheld controller rather than a wheel/pedal set you likely need to put the controls into "arcade" mode so it artificially softens the onset of the input value for you. Otherwise even at 43mph it will lock the brakes rather than applying them properly.

This is how it worked in previous versions of GT, anyway. Not sure what the control options look like in the new game. I know they were trying to increase the "sim" quality of the thing to compete with Assetto Corsa, etc so it makes sense that the controls would be a bit twitchy by default.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I've been using the right stick Y axis for throttle/brake. But my biggest disappointment with the game is of course no Lotus cars!

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I've been using the right stick Y axis for throttle/brake. But my biggest disappointment with the game is of course no Lotus cars!
Yeah that was a big disappointment for me too. Even with some of the marques that are included, they don't have a very big selection.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree @Eagle7 — for the races where you can’t take the car to the mechanic, it can be supremely frustrating. Probably because I’m not a very good arcade game driver.

Still… amazing game. And I love the cafe aspect. They would be *mad* not to include the Emira in there…

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The license cars are equipped with “comfort” tires in many cases. This is likely your issue. They made a patch recently that fixed some of their physics (your car would suddenly get into a tank-slapper on a straight road, to name one issue), it seems to be better now. It’s difficult to drive a simulator because of the lack of actual (binocular) depth perception and g-forces; you have to rely solely on markers for your braking points. You’ll find the regular races more enjoyable- I like the LeMans and Nurburgring races the best.

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I had to do the Nurburgring in the World GT Championship. I'd driven parts of it before for the license tests, but not the whole thing. It was the last race in the series, and I needed to take at least 1 point to win the championship. I couldn't believe that when the race began, it was at night! I was driving on a track I'd not driven fully before, in the dark with nothing but my headlights to see ahead, and the cars in front of me. And of course you have to start at the back of the pack, so I had to figure out how to pass a lot of cars on a track I was not familiar with, in the dark, and I only had 2 laps to do it in.

Fortunately about 3/4 of the way through the first lap, the sky started to lighten as morning came up. By the time I crossed the finish line to start the 2nd lap, I could see enough to drive more aggressively. Then the sun came up over the horizon and now I was driving with the sun directly in my eyes. By the end of the race, my eyes were burning and my hands were cramped from gripping the controller so hard lol. I managed to work my way up to third before the finish of the race, and that was enough to win the championship.

I can't imagine how exhausting that track would be to drive for real. Even in the video game the pucker factor was off the scale.

I wish they gave you more money though for winning things. I would like to get some of the Cars of Legend but most of them are multi-millions, and the good ones of course are like 20 million. I want a Ferrari 330 P4 and a Porsche 917, and even though I haven't seen one come up for sale yet, I'm sure they'll be major expensive. I only got 250,000 for winning the championship which was 5 races, and the first one was a 10 lap race. This was some work. It would have been nice to at least get 1 million for winning the whole thing. Most of the races you get like 15k which isn't much. After all the driving I've done, I just now have 5 million. I'm not going to spend real money to buy credits. Do they really expect you to spend $100 in real money just to buy one game car?

FrenchBred

Reaction score

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1588871918449.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588871918449.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 18

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In fairness, even Lotus itself was able to crank out a handful of these babies so far, so one would think GT7 should need a bit of time to get the Emira ready in the game.
I agree @Eagle7 — for the races where you can’t take the car to the mechanic, it can be supremely frustrating. Probably because I’m not a very good arcade game driver.

Still… amazing game. And I love the cafe aspect. They would be *mad* not to include the Emira in there…

switchlanez

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Slightly deviates from topic but someone mentioned Assetto Corsa and I felt the need to share this IG post (6 pics) from the official Lotus account:

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Lotus not being in GT7 may have to do with licensing. I know there's more than one version of Assetto Corsa for the Playstation, so I'm going to see which one has the Emira, buy it and download it. I've enjoyed GT7 but there are just enough limitations that I'm left wanting more.

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The 917 and P4 already came up early on. I didn’t have the money to buy the 917, but I did buy the P4. There are a couple of races that are good for farming credits. One only works thanks to a glitch (you can find the glitch and how to exploit it on YouTube), the other is the 30 minute LeMans race which yields 825,000 credits for thirty minutes of fun driving (550,000 plus 50% for a clean race). The weather changes during this race, so be sure to buy wet and intermediate tires! Running a couple of races a day, and a few more than that on weekends has paid off for me. I have bought a good many of the Legends cars; I hope to add a 917, Miura and McLaren F1 road car (I have the LM).

Mickle

Reaction score
Lotus not being in GT7 may have to do with licensing. I know there's more than one version of Assetto Corsa for the Playstation, so I'm going to see which one has the Emira, buy it and download it. I've enjoyed GT7 but there are just enough limitations that I'm left wanting more.
The Emira isn't in Assetto Corsa unfortunately, those pictures are of a user-made mod available for the PC version. Which makes it a bit odd Lotus are reposting/promoting it.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a 35k+ driving setup that I can use w/without VR. I typically use it for high end PC driving, but I supposed I could confiture it for consoles. I would never buy GT7 because of the kansas city shuffle they tried on the customers. And then slowly rolling out DLC. I have no ground to stand on, but I do have the new Forza for the new Xbox and I do enjoy driving that when I am looking for a fun experience.

When I want to do the series stuff I take my anti motion sickness pills and fire up the PC for some fun racing. You should buy one, they are extremely fun and people love getting in them when they visit.

OP
Eagle7

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I have a 35k+ driving setup that I can use w/without VR. I typically use it for high end PC driving, but I supposed I could confiture it for consoles. I would never buy GT7 because of the kansas city shuffle they tried on the customers. And then slowly rolling out DLC. I have no ground to stand on, but I do have the new Forza for the new Xbox and I do enjoy driving that when I am looking for a fun experience.

When I want to do the series stuff I take my anti motion sickness pills and fire up the PC for some fun racing. You should buy one, they are extremely fun and people love getting in them when they visit.
35K? Wow, you are seriously into this!! Do you compete professionally or semi-professionally?

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
35K? Wow, you are seriously into this!! Do you compete professionally or semi-professionally?

I compete for fun :). More of a hobby for my son and I. I live near a race track and have my fun there, but nothing professional as I don't have the time in my work schedule to dedicate to that.....yet.