Goodwood - updates and info

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They’re not bolts, they’re self-tapping screws through the number plate plinth into the painted fibreglass of the lower lip :(
That sucks.

I remember reading somewhere Lotus said they are attaching the plinths at the factory.

Hopefully that’s not the case and they do what most manufacturers do and make it a dealer installed part.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
That sucks.

I remember reading somewhere Lotus said they are attaching the plinths at the factory.

Hopefully that’s not the case and they do what most manufacturers do and make it a dealer installed part.
I dont think it matters on the Emira does it, where else are you going to fit a plate? Needs a mount to be manufactured bottom up

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yeah I guess for UK and EU it doesn’t matter because you must display a front plate.

In the US, several states don’t require a front plate and even some that do don’t enforce it.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Bilko said:
The only part of my spec I understand is delayed are the silver wheels and that’s a considerable delay of 3 months.

This just doesn't sound right to me. It makes no sense for a silver wheel to be unavailable when the exact same wheel in the diamond cut is available. And surely Lotus would simply contact the impacted customers and ask them if they'd prefer black/diamond cut rather than wait . . . a pretty simple solution.
It’s just not that simple. It’s not only wheels that are delayed and it’s not the case that they’ve got loads of DC and no silver. So they can’t offer people a wheel swap as a way of reducing delays for some people.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yeah I guess for UK and EU it doesn’t matter because you must display a front plate.

In the US, several states don’t require a front plate and even some that do don’t enforce it.
For US cars the plinths are a dealer fitted item, as some states don’t require a front plate.

G

Guest142

For US cars the plinths are a dealer fitted item, as some states don’t require a front plate.
Correct. North Carolina does not require a front plate. New York for example does. Cars look so much better without them.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes its certainly crazy if that is the case.
I would literally drive a set of wheels to Hethel and fit them myself if it meant picking up 3 months early
These would possibly look the nutz on Nimbus. Feel free to do the honours @Eagle7 if you are short of things to do today 😊View attachment 6979View attachment 6980
This turned out to be a real bear. I thought "No problem, I'll just switch out the Lotus wheels." HAH. It turns out the hub and calipers stick out so far, and the offsets are so high, that I had to literally take the wheel apart and modify it quite a bit just to make it fit. The wheel center has to be almost as far out as the rim edge to clear the caliper. For this style of wheel, you'd also need a pretty good sized spacer, unless BBS decided to make one specifically for the Emira.

Based on that picture of the Evora you included, it looks like they've pushed the hubs, rotors and calipers on the Emira out quite a bit farther, especially at the rear. This is going to make it difficult to find off-the-shelf 3rd party wheels that will fit, even if you can find some with the correct offset.

Leonard BBS 2022-06-26 at 11.38.45 AM.png

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
This turned out to be a real bear. I thought "No problem, I'll just switch out the Lotus wheels." HAH. It turns out the hub and calipers stick out so far, and the offsets are so high, that I had to literally take the wheel apart and modify it quite a bit just to make it fit. The wheel center has to be almost as far out as the rim edge to clear the caliper. For this style of wheel, you'd also need a pretty good sized spacer, unless BBS decided to make one specifically for the Emira.

Based on that picture of the Evora you included, it looks like they've pushed the hubs, rotors and calipers on the Emira out quite a bit farther, especially at the rear. This is going to make it difficult to find off-the-shelf 3rd party wheels that will fit, even if you can find some with the correct offset.

View attachment 6983
Ooooo that's not bad tho! Emira is wider track and you can get something with a bigger dish easily enough that also happens too look good. Reckon they would be a classy win on Nimbus, thank you

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Ooooo that's not bad tho! Emira is wider track and you can get something with a bigger dish easily enough that also happens too look good. Reckon they would be a classy win on Nimbus, thank you
In real life pushing a wider track like this with lower offsets will add a fair amount of scrub radius. You’ll be fighting the steering wheel more during any bumps, in turns, and during braking.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
In real life pushing a wider track like this with lower offsets will add a fair amount of scrub radius. You’ll be fighting the steering wheel more during any bumps, in turns, and during braking.
I dont mean increase track any more per se just if the offset is less and you end up with a bigger dish, all good!

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I dont mean increase track any more per se just if the offset is less and you end up with a bigger dish, all good!
The lower offset is what makes for a wider track though — unless you’re also going with narrower rim width? Maybe I’m not understanding what you mean.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The lower offset is what makes for a wider track though — unless you’re also going with narrower rim width? Maybe I’m not understanding what you mean.
Basically depends on the wheel doesn't it. Basically I'd have it exactly same spec as the std wheel if possible

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Here's one in Nimbus.

Leonard BBS 2.png

Pushing the hub and brakes out farther from the center line of the car, means this car should have smoother handling, as it allows vertical movement with less of that being transmitted to the chassis. This helps explain the reaction reviewers have had about how well the car tracks over the B roads in the U.K.

Once you get used to this car and get comfortable with it, this thing is going to be a blast to drive. It's going to work with you, instead of you having to fight with it to get it to do what you want it to do. This should be a VERY smooth car in the corners for those who like the momentum driving style.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
The genius of what Gav and his crew have done, is the high offset lets them move the weight of the hub and brakes out towards the outside of the car, but still allows the center of the tire to be directly over the pivot point of the hub knuckle in the front, and the connecting points of the rear hub. As I'm sure you know, that's going to make for very balanced wheel tracking and movement, both vertically and for steering in the front.

The more I learn about this car, the more I realize what a steal it is at the price point they're selling it at.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Basically depends on the wheel doesn't it. Basically I'd have it exactly same spec as the std wheel if possible

Unfortunately I don’t think that’s how it works, wheel offset is defined by the offset the hub surface mounts to the wheel away from the centerline of the wheels.

So assuming the oem Lotus wheel is a 20x8.5 +55 and you move to a 20x8.5 +30 BBS with a deep lip (deep lips aren’t really possible with high offsets). You’ll introduce 25mm more positive scrub radius to the car which is going to be noticeable at the steering wheel.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t think that’s how it works, wheel offset is defined by the offset the hub surface mounts to the wheel away from the centerline of the wheels.

So assuming the oem Lotus wheel is a 20x8.5 +55 and you move to a 20x8.5 +30 BBS with a deep lip (deep lips aren’t really possible with high offsets). You’ll introduce 25mm more positive scrub radius to the car which is going to be noticeable at the steering wheel.
Yeah I know that but ud hopefully get a 20x8.5 +55 😁

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Here's one in Nimbus.

View attachment 6984

Pushing the hub and brakes out farther from the center line of the car, means this car should have smoother handling, as it allows vertical movement with less of that being transmitted to the chassis. This helps explain the reaction reviewers have had about how well the car tracks over the B roads in the U.K.

Once you get used to this car and get comfortable with it, this thing is going to be a blast to drive. It's going to work with you, instead of you having to fight with it to get it to do what you want it to do. This should be a VERY smooth car in the corners for those who like the momentum driving style.
Cheers, that is classy and also racey as hell at the same time 😍

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The genius of what Gav and his crew have done, is the high offset lets them move the weight of the hub and brakes out towards the outside of the car, but still allows the center of the tire to be directly over the pivot point of the hub knuckle in the front, and the connecting points of the rear hub. As I'm sure you know, that's going to make for very balanced wheel tracking and movement, both vertically and for steering in the front.

The more I learn about this car, the more I realize what a steal it is at the price point they're selling it at.

Lotus really does take a no compromise approach when it comes to the front suspension. All the things you mentioned plus the fact that Lotus prioritizes longer wishbones over practicality of having a frunk. The longer the wishbone length the more vertical wheel movement you can have with less camber change. These are all choices performance car mfg have to make and most err on the side of practicality.