Forever cars

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Moderator note: moved from another thread to start a new topic

I wouldn’t mind if it was a forever car, but I don’t think it is.
This got me thinking: what's an example of a forever car? Do you (or others here) personally own any forever cars?

Last edited by a moderator:
A forever anything is a choice of emotion and not practicality. A forever car would have to have some sentimental value beyond the qualifications of the car.

My neighbor had an old LS400, and I suppose it was his forever car even though he could buy all of the cars at the local Ferrari dealer at any given day. However, one day I saw him drive a new Buick Enclave. He said he loved the LS400 but it finally died on him.

This got me thinking: what's an example of a forever car? Do you (or others here) personally own any forever cars?
E46 M3 Imola Red!
6604DC89-4986-4C58-ACDE-842ED8354CC4.jpeg

Last edited:
well, the obvious answer is a car that has fundamentally remained unchanged through most of our lives...
ie the original defender (I had one and for me is not for ever, but for some it is)
But the true forever car, for those not too cool to have one... is a caterham....
I believe thats as close as I will ever get and I have never driven anything more fun, if we simply take fun as getting up at 5.xx am and going for a 4 hour drive and not worrying about KEF crap, frunk space, security, kids seats, wheel gaps, lumber support, road noise, wind, rain, suburn....etc etc..
I think many have forgotten what real fun is and I myself still think (to myself...no one else will listen at this point) that when the Caterham arrives, IF the EMIRA is parked next to it, the sun is out, or not, its the weekend and early, there are plenty of cyclists out there to "aim" at, would I take the heavy, fat, tall, slow, comfortable, good? sound systemed Emira, or the motorbike on 4 wheels. I mean, if I dont care what the occasional female I pass by thinks of my car, I would 95% of the time be taking the Caterham. This is turn makes me ask myself..... why get the damn EMIRA....? I thought to help Lotus out, but they need a lot more than just my help.... They need to help themselves first

I don’t know if they are forever cars I guess I don’t necessarily mean “forever” but more a significant portion of time. It’s more of something with sentimental value rather than anything tangible. I think I am never likely to ever sell my MX5, probably because no one else wants it! 😂

My RX7 is/was a longtime dream car, but it’s probably more likely to go over the MX5 if I ever needed the money or the space for something else.

Attachments

• 57BEA277-7A9D-4754-A3A7-15E829B409DD.jpeg
    57BEA277-7A9D-4754-A3A7-15E829B409DD.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 3CB85ED6-8196-4070-8B19-7115658F9492.jpeg
    3CB85ED6-8196-4070-8B19-7115658F9492.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Forever car candidates:

Any Lotus
Cayman GT4RS
Caterham
Vintage 911s
Alfa GTVs
Most supercars
I don’t know. I feel like it’s something that has to either be incredibly easy to live with, or just be well off enough to be able to ignore it’s flaws but not well off enough to replace it with something better! So largely agree with the first ones, not so much any supercar as (for me) I feel they would just be more trouble than they are worth.

My S1 Exige is a forever car. I don’t think there will ever be anything made like it again. It involves a lot of compromises on practicality, though not as much as a Caterham or Atom. The analogue driving engagement is very special.

A Lotus-Exige-S1.jpg

I have had my Elan for 26 years, which is pretty much half the life of the car. I suspect it will be with me for quite a while longer. Somehow I have managed to overlook the wheel gap, the poor quality radio, the fact that water can drip into the boot (trunk) when opening the lid, the seats have no adjustment capabilities and that it only has 142bhp. I can lower the roof however which is one up on the Emira.
I suspect my S1 Elise will be with me for a long while too.
E1B5B420-69D7-47BF-BF41-3276A72137F8.jpeg
67569C51-43EA-4396-91A1-8D6D50A8F6B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Agree, Tom.
Elise, Exige.. they are amongst cars never really to be repeated.
I feel the same about my main two babies. The manual N/A F430 and the last N/A C63.

They will all really stick out as wonderful experiences and they will only grow in legend.

For some, it seems, they were expecting a 'worldie' with the Emira. It is perhaps not that car but excellent in other ways.

My forever cars are (I mean really for my life long):
- 1994 XJS 6.0 V12 Convertible - bought in 2016 - not particularly strong in handling, but the looks and show of how big a car can (could then) be that is so small inside... and of course that monstrous 12 cylinder, the sign of the ending era
- 2006 RS4 Convertible - bought in 2017 - incredible lightness of being with a open top, perfect shifting manual, naturally aspirated 8 cylinders producing 420 PS and (not everyone's cup of tea - I know) all-wheel drive... I haven't experienced this in any newer car and the RS4 will probably remain an icon in terms of these features for me
- 1998 Esprit V8 - bought this autumn - I don't have much experience yet, I'm still quite afraid of the beast as I've only tested it in temperatures close to zero, but only for the views of the 115 cm high wedge-shaped body I have to keep it forever :cool:

All of them are cars produced in 1000 - 1500 units... that gives me the feeling of owning something absolutely special. On that note I hope that my Emira won't be a member of this exclusive club (although it may look that way based on the number of cars delivered so far). It would be a pity for you who are waiting for Emira...

Forever car for me is my Opel Speedster Turbo (Vauxhall VX220 Turbo) which I bought from an Opel employee back in 2006 with 207km on the clock.

I just had finished studying and my first job‘s „Probehalbjahr“ was over. So I realized my dream of owning such a special car. Modified it over the years to my liking, and it’s still a hoot to drive with 880kg and 330hp/440Nm of torque.

35F2A376-9738-48E2-A31C-C4E031A0604B.jpeg

My S1 Exige is a forever car. I don’t think there will ever be anything made like it again. It involves a lot of compromises on practicality, though not as much as a Caterham or Atom, The analogue driving engagement is very special.

I've had 3 'forever' S1 Exiges :)

Currently on the lookout for 4th but SC Honda this time.

101.000 kms. perfect running. new tires, belts, pads, fluids, etc: 10k Euros spent last December .
Selling it for 49.800 Euros

The DB9 is my car dream, the next-in-the-row forever car. I'm sure I "must" buy it one day. But my idea is a car with less kms and when possible, after the facelift with LED-daylights. Thanks anyway!